Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
ScottCan
Star
Star
Hello,
I’m using the Arlo Ultra 2 and the Arlo wired doorbell camera.

To summarize, the iphone Arlo app icon badge count never gets reset. Here are the steps to reproduce.

1. I trigger an alert on my camera
2. I get a notification on my iphone (as expected)
3. I see the badge count on the app icon increment to 1 (as expected)
4. I open the Arlo app to view the activity, and the badge count on the app icon disappears immediately.
5. Inside the app, the camera’s individual activity count is also 0. (not expected)
6. I click on the camera count and it takes me to the recording history, and it shows the latest activity (as expected)
7. I leave the app and the app icon badge count is still not visible.
8. I trigger motion on the camera again.
9. The app icon badge count reappears, but now shows a count of 2 (not expected)

Sometimes, if I leave the app and then open the app again, the camera activity count appears, but this is not consistent.

However, if I manually restart the app, and then open it, the camera notification count now shows the expected count, and if I click on this count, it gets reset and the app icon badge count also gets reset. This is consistent behavior.

I am using the latest iphone app 3.6.8, but this problem has been happening for over 3 months.
25 REPLIES 25
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi, 

Is it possible to take a screen recording of you replicating this issue? 

naked_intruder
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shayne,

v3.6.8 did not fix this issue as you stated in the thread link below.  Issue is also confirmed on v3.6.8, iPhone 13 Pro, 15.5 iOS.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Badge-Notifications-not-resetting-again/td-p/1848498/page/2

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@naked_intruder

Are you experiencing the issue Scottcan reported above, or the issue from the thread you linked? These are two separate issues. I can not replicate these as well. 

Can you provide a screen recording of the issue?

CiscoCisco
Tutor
Tutor

As naked_intruder said, this issue is not fixed. Not sure why I can't post in the prior thread anymore about it.

ScottCan
Star
Star
Hi Shayne,
Yes I have recorded a screen video. How do I upload it?
Whysoslow
Star
Star
Hi ShayneS,

I can also confirm that update to 3.6.8 (3421) on iOS 15.5 did not fix the problem. The badges were showing the correct notification for a short time, but now each triggering event will display a badge count in the hundreds. Please let me know if you want logs resent again

Thank you.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Yes please that would help, I will escalate this as soon as the log is received. 

Thank you!!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Whysoslow

Also, your issue is on the Home Screen Arlo Secure App badge counter correct? 

Whysoslow
Star
Star
Yes that is correct. I walked out my door this morning and the red badge counter on my Home Screen showed 218 despite triggering only one event.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Whysoslow

Thanks for the update.

Whysoslow
Star
Star
Can you refresh me on collecting the logs? I can’t remember which logo to tap or hold?
shinryu22
Initiate
Initiate

Had to create an account to complain - this is a terrible bug that Arlo team just keeps failing on fixing it! I suggest Arlo support member to do a search in the forum to see how many users have complained about it in the past YEARS and really do a post-mortem after you can provide a final fix. It's that bad.

Newest iOS, v3.6.8 app. The ridiculous numbers just keep coming back on my latest Arlo app no matter what how I try to clean them up!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

I was informed the issue has been identified and a fix is coming soon. It looks to be scheduled for next week. I will provide another update as soon as possible. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

Can you check to see if the latest version of the Arlo mobile app 3.7 resolved the issue for you. 

If you do not see the update in the app, store you can remove and reinstall the Arlo app to the latest version. 

Thanks 

Whysoslow
Star
Star

I was able to update the app through the iOS App Store. Unfortunately, I'm still getting more red bubble notifications than I should when a device is triggered. In other words, the notifications are still not resetting correctly.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16.0.2, build 3.7 (3432)

ScottCan
Star
Star

Hi ShayneS,

I updated the app to version 3.7, and I still see the same problem shown in the steps.

Specifically, when I open the app, the badge count clears and the camera-specific alert count shows zero.  The camera-specific count should be more than zero.

If I repeat this multiple times, occasionally, when I open the app, after a few seconds, the per camera alert count will suddenly display the correct count, which is what is expected.

Another comment: if I manually close the app on my iPhone, and then open it, the per-camera alert count is correct.

One more comment: if I keep the app open, I see the per camera alert count go up, and the badge count also goes up.

So the problem happens when the app is running but not open.

Scott

shinryu22
Initiate
Initiate

Upgraded to 3.7.. The problem persists.

Note that similarly to what ScottCan said above, this issue does not repros in all scenarios. Sometimes after the number is reset, next time when the a new event is triggered, the number goes from 1, sometimes, it just shows back the previously accumulated number (maybe minus a few that have been watched).

We're not professional and we can't iterate all scenarios here. Arlo team really needs to do some full tests tomake sure once the notification is cleared and the previous number DOESN'T COME BACK.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you test again on 3.7.1

Whysoslow
Star
Star

Hi ShayneS,

My device updated to 3.7.1 a few days ago, but unfortunately I continue to have multiple badger notifications for a single alert. Today, 2 triggers on one camera gave a badge notification of “40”

ScottCan
Star
Star

Hi ShayneS,

I updated to 3.7.1 last week and I see the same issue.

I’m guessing that the developers/QA can’t reproduce the problem?

The problem I see is specific to when the Arlo app is running, but the app is in the background.

In other words, on my iPhone:

1. If I keep the Arlo app open in the foreground, I do *not* see the problem.

2. If I close the app manually and then reopen the app, the badge count and activity counts are correct.

3. Only when I open the app, and go to the home screen (ie Arlo app is still running in the background), this is when I see the problem.

Scott

ChrisKz
Guide
Guide

For the love of god, please fix this!!! I don't know your code but I work in software development and I can't imagine this is difficult to fix yet it's been plaguing your app for years. How can every other app not have this issue but Arlo can't seem to fix it? 

I'm on version 3.8 with an iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.0.3 and the issue is worse than it has been for a long time. I used be able to flip back and forth between Library and Devices a few times, then use the Task Switcher to "kill" the Arlo app and that would reset the notification count. These days that process won't even work. It's 11 AM right now and I have 17 notifications. Is there something going on outside of my house? Oh, it's only the app causing panic. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ChrisKz

received, thanks.

Tcairns
Aspirant
Aspirant

V 4.0 - badge counter still in the hundreds. 

Delboy78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just recently my app notifications aren’t resetting daily like they were and are now showing a cumulative number which is now over 1200. I have tried logging into my account online as advised by the technical team but this hasn’t solved the issue . Can anyone please help. 

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation