Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smart Notifications - I Am Receiving Motion Alerts When "People" Only Is On

Discussion stats
nedkelly78
Tutor
Tutor

8 pro2 camera's,  i am subscribed to the smart detection/notification and only have 'people' on alert, but on some of PRO2 cameras i still get alerts for motion. looking at the camera info, the HW version this is happening on is H4, while the H5 are OK. They are all PRO2 though. I only want people. tried resetting the base and re-syncing the cameras but no luck very frustrating.

any ideas?

109 REPLIES 109
Brennanw28
Initiate
Initiate

I have recently noticed that I am receiving motion alerts on my device when I am not supposed to. I have an Arlo premier subscription and the settings for smart notifications set up so that I should only be notified when a person or animal walk accross the camera. Last night I disarmed the system, then rearmed it a few minutes later and ever since then I have been getting all alerts except vehicle. The cameras are positioned with trees in sight and  today has been windy, it's non stop notification after notification. Please help!!! Arlo customer support was not much help at all. After an extended hold time a rep answered and then puts me on hold for every question I asked. All to tell me it's a known issue a engineer needs to solve. 

szinski
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem here. I have a mix of Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2, and Arlo Q, all with Arlo Smart enabled. I have "All other motion" alerts disabled yet I continue to receive generic "Arlo detected motion" alerts for my cameras.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

What firmware is your base station & cameras running?

brettwgreen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here. I suspect the addition of BETA version of package detecion has messed something up.

I am running app on Android Samsung Galaxy S7.

szinski
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo Pro that's acting up is running firmware 1.092.0.23_32920 (Base Station 1.12.2.1_2798)

The Arlo Qs that are acting up both have firmware 1.9.0.0_269

The alerts that I receive say "Motion Alert: Motion detected on [cameraname]" when I have those cameras set to only alert on People, Animals, and Vehicles (I have "All Other Motion" disabled).

I have an Arlo Smart Elite subscription.

It's been particularly bad today since it's sunny and windy, lots of tree shadows trigging the alerts.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@szinski

Have you tried adjusting your sensitivity a bit & test again?

szinski
Apprentice
Apprentice

With all due respect, what does sensitivity have to do with this issue? Arlo Smart is supposed to analyze the motion to determine whether it's a person, animal, vehicle, or other. Then it will send an alert based on its findings and whether you have that alert enabled. I'm getting alerts on "motion" which is generic (unclassified) when I have it set to only alert on people and vehicles.

szinski
Apprentice
Apprentice

For what it's worth, this started happening recently for me, about two days ago. All was working fine until that time. Nothing has changed on my end, so this appears to be an issue on Arlo's end.

VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same issue. It started right after I updated the app this morning. 

VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also almost all motion alerts I get are clearly a vehicle. I have everything but motion set to get alerts.
VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice

I updated the app this morning and since then I have been getting notificatiions for motion. I do not have motion notification enabled. Just people,vehicles and animals are enabled. When I look at the library they are labeld motion, but are clearly a vehicle.

ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same problem here.
Now it seems that the entire system is down. Even downdetector.com is showing it. Hopefully this is resolved quickly. No recordings, notifications or anything. App shows cameras are clearly recognizing motion activity but again, no recordings or notifications.
rivajean
Star
Star
Mine just started doing that today. A few alerts saying “motion” is detected. I only have people selected too. What has changed in the programming?
Anjos
Star
Star

I have been having the same issues with notifications.  It was particularly bad last night.  My cameras are only set to notify me of people.  All other types are disabled.  Yet, I was receiving notifications on vehicles, motion, and sound.  Last night, Arlo status (https://status.arlo.com) indicated issues with the services.  Right now, it's claiming all services are good.  This is incorrect, because I'm still having false notifications.  I'm sure there's nothing wrong with anyone’s base stations or cameras.  It's on Arlo's end.  They just need to work faster to get their services fixed and right.

kjrst9
Guide
Guide

I'm using a wire-free VMC3030 and experiencing the same problem.  Set to only recieve alerts for people and animals, and am getting notifications for all motion.  Confirmed that smart settings are just for people/animals, and have tried turning it on/off to reset, with no luck.  I first noticed this a few days ago.

njfoses
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same issue here and same timing of starting a couple days ago. This am i changed all my cameras to inactive on the smart plan and then moved them back to active. So far so good, but could be coincidence as well.

R1Daniel
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo Smart Notifications are not filtering out the unwanted notifications after the new Firmware Update that was pushed (Forced) a few days ago. Prior to the update I was only receiving notifications if a person, animal or vehicle was detected. The system was working great and I was happy with it.
By the way I am subscribed to Arlo Smart Premier.
Now, After the update I am getting non-stop notifications for sound detected. To put it gently, it’s really annoying the crap out of me! I know you will suggest to lower the sound detection sensitivity, but that is not an option. It was working before the firmware upgrade, and I want it to work again!
I tired powering the Base Station OFF multiple times and it does not help.
I tried powering the Cameras OFF multiple times and it does not help.
I tried changing the Smart Notifications “All other Motion” to both ON and OFF and it did not help.
I updated my Iphone XS Max to 12.3.1 and it did not help.
I updated the Arlo APP to the latest version 2.7.9.(90) and it did not help.

My Rules for Detections and Notifications have mysteriously changed on their own multiple times! Motion detection was turned off on all my cameras! Entire Rules were deleted! I changed my password and still so far it happened 1 more time after the password change.
I DO NOT like being forced to take any upgrades, because I know there will always be some bugs that come with it because Arlo is not thoroughly testing to ensure no bugs.

Base Station Firmware 1.12.2.1_2798
Base Station Hardware VMB4000r3
Multiple cameras both Arlo Pro and Pro2

Please fix this fast!!!!!

bulimbadave
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issue - receiving 50+ notifications due to trees blowing in the wind!  Arlo Ultra Basestation and 2 cameras.

nedkelly78
Tutor
Tutor

firmware is 1.125.13.0_31717

nedkelly78
Tutor
Tutor

ok so i have removed all the camera's from the arlo smart.  then i deactivated all the camera's under the subscription.

waited 30 mins and activated all the camera's and added them in to alro smart.

will keep you posted on the results.

rivajean
Star
Star
Thanks. I haven’t done anything yet but the alerts have stopped. For awhile I was getting a lot of recordings identified as “motion” but were obviously vehicles. No alerts though.
aeades
Guide
Guide

Exact same problem also.  I am a new customer and was doing the free trial of the smart premier service and have since turned it off and plan on not subscribing if this issue is not fixed.  I have tried removing my cameras from the subscription and disabling them overnight but still get notifications for motiion when only people is selected.  I did an online chat with support and that is what they suggested I do.  It did not fix the problem for me.

rivajean
Star
Star
I’m not sure what to think. I love it when it works but get so frustrated when it doesn’t. I had to invert one of my cameras to get the best angle. That totally whacked out the recordings, identifying, and alerts. I posted a few times but never called support. I had tried that for more minor issues and got nothing useful. I eventually just flipped it back. I’m not sure how other systems work but since I have invested in these for now I am keeping them. It is not my main security system so for now I will love and hate it. 😊.
bulimbadave
Tutor
Tutor

I have an Arlo Ultra with two cameras.  I set up Arlo Smart Notifications and they were working fine until yesterday. I am now receiving at least one notification every few minutes for motion (outdoor camera - trees moving) - that are coming through as both motion and a person.  I have removed the cameras from Smart Notifications and then reinstalled them - with no change in the problem.  Base station Firmware s 1.12.2.0_33535 and camera Firmware is 1.060.33.9_33004.  This is a really annoying problem - can someone assist?