Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Drewsky
Tutor
Tutor

I recently upgraded my Arlo Pros (not the Pro 2s) from the basic plan to the Arlo Smart Premier plan and am having issues with the motion detection zones.  I can create them with no issue however it seems as if they are being ignored.  One of my cameras is detecting motion (and subsequently recording unwanted video) in areas of the field of view that are blatently not in the activity zone.  I have not had a chance to test my other camera to see if it is experiencing the same issue.  Has anyone else experienced this with Arlo Pros using the smart features?

33 REPLIES 33
Trichomes
Tutor
Tutor

I feel confident they will fix it, but I agree with others on this board, the company should aknowledge the issues and keep the community well updated, it really is unnacepatable. The product could be very good which is why they do have a user base, hurry up Arlo, please, get these last bugs sorted.

I can not add a friend to the "call a friend" feature
Thumbnails not refreshing.

zones not working

Trichomes
Tutor
Tutor

even if you getthe pic to update, the zones are not working with this current software release.. zzzzzzz

Trichomes
Tutor
Tutor

smart zones not working for me either.

Arlo Pro 2

Camera HW version: H3

Firmware: 1.125.11.3_26229

Basestation version: 2.6.1.21_1a1c5482ea811dc16f603fc0f4932afdf12cc094
Basestation HW version: VMB4000r3
firmware: 1.12.0.0_27099

Please advise, its a real disapointment.

ArloUser9
Initiate
Initiate
Same issue. Can setup zones in App but no option to set as active or ignore and has no effect on what gets “noticed”
Millsi
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've searched and cant find a definitive answer.
I've set up 3 zones on one of my cameras which is plugged in to ac.
I only want to receive notifications for those zones and nothing else as trees moving in the wind are setting the camera off (I dont want to turn the sensitivity down and miss something)
How do I achieve this?
Thanks
steve_t
Master Master
Master

It's supposed to ignore movement outside of the zones. Someone else recently posted that it's not currently working that way. You may want to Contact Support via the button at the bottom of this page and open a ticket. Hopefully that'll speed them along in fixing it

shaolin95
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello.
So I finally got my outdoor camera installed yesterday (tought times to find available installers!).

I am getting frustrated. I set zones yesterday to avoid the cars and just covering my front yard all the way to my door. Well...to my surprise got a visitor yesterday and zero notifications.
Removed the zones and I got many notifications from cars as expected.
So was playing with Zones today again and did 3 zones including one covering the road just to make sure notifications were still working.
I fot one from a car so I thought it was good.
Removed that zone and left the other 2....then later I get an email that my package has been delivered and surely there it is sitting by my door yet my "awesome" camera did not send my any notifications nore recorded any videos. This could have been someone stealing a package and I wouldnt have anything to figure out who took it after spending a good chunk of money buying these cameras and getting installed.
You can imagine..I am NOT happy. What is going on??? Guess I picked the wrong product.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

If I have the ability to power a camera outdoors, I typically use something else.  I had a delivery this summer that was completely missed by Arlo cameras that normally are very good at catching motion.  I think my miss was do to lack of Internet connectivity at the time of the delivery.  This could be your issue also.  If you have a USB stick in the base unit.  Check the recording on it.  I have an a Axis camera system serving some of my camera locations with on-site recording, so I could see the delivery recorded on my Axis NVR after Arlo failed to report it and show it in the library.  I think Arlo customers would be extremely well served, if Arlo would upload all videos that were recorded locally due to network outages, immediately after the network is restored and deliver notifications with both the recording time and the fact that the internet connection was down at that time.

shaolin95
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not a connection issue, my connection is very steady and I have been monitoring the cameras all morning. Seems to be related to the active zones. Creating more than one zone seems to mess things up as I read someone else having the same issue which is just what happened to me yesterday as well. 😕
So I either use no zones and get a million videos uploaded due toe the traffic or tilt the camera down trying to eliminate most of the stree but then cannot keep track of the mailbox which I also wanted to view since my mailman sometimes gets "creative" leaving packages halfway outside the box.
Not a happy Arlo customer right now