Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BretD
Arlo Employee Retired

Top 10 Reasons to Love the Arlo Security Light

1. 100% Wire-Free Set-Up

With no power cords or wiring hassles, you can easily mount your Arlo Security Light on walls, eaves, gazebos, and more, anywhere around your home, so you are not bound by the power source, but by where you want the light directed.

1. Smart Controls with Arlo App

With the free Arlo app, you can control and automate Arlo Security Light from anywhere, and automatically receive instant alerts to your smartphone or email when it detects motion.

1. PIR Motion Detection

You can set the sensitivity level for Arlo Security Light to turn on automatically when the PIR sensor detects motion, and even get motion-activated alerts without having your lights turn on.

1. Weather-Resistant

Arlo Security Light is IP65-rated, making it ideal for outdoors, rain or shine.

1. Customizable Light Settings

Adjust the colors and patterns (spotlight, floodlight, flashing) of your light for specific situations, and group together multiple lights and easily synchronize patterns to turn on/off together.

1. Scheduling

Schedule the Modes for your Arlo Security Light to turn on when sensing motion to discourage would-be burglars and give the illusion that someone is at home.

1. Arlo Integration for Enhanced Home Safety

When movement triggers the Arlo Security Light to turn on, your Arlo Security Cameras can be configured to start recording so you can see the activity or have additional lights turn on.

1. Smart Home Integration with Amazon Alexa® and IFTTT

Use simple voice commands with Amazon Alexa to turn your outdoor security light on and off without lifting a finger. Arlo Security Light works with other IFTTT-compatible smart devices to create endless possibilities for safety and security.

1. Rechargeable Battery

Long-lasting, rechargeable batteries take the expense out of uninterrupted security lighting and for added convenience; the optional solar panel accessory can keep the batteries charged indefinitely.

1. Outdoor Mount

Easily adjustable mounts provide a 360-degree swivel and a 90-degree tilt for the perfect lighting angle when securing your Arlo Security Light over your door, porch, tree, and more.

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
82 REPLIES 82
Hoity-Toity
Guide
Guide

Netgear,

As you can clearly see pople are seriously unimpressed with the need to have ANOTHER hub when they already have a expensive and funtional hub for their Arlo cameras.

Personally I find it rediculous that I have the high end arlo Pro 2 hub with 3 cameras but I still need another hub just to add a simple light.

I understand that you want to sell these lights to people without the the cameras which is why you include a hub. I think everyones point is that those with a exsisting Arlo hub shouldn't have to do this.

Anyway, I cancelled by pre-order after finding these hub problem out. There are plenty of cheaper light options out there that don't force the cost of another hub on you.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

so much for this topic that some of us ended up not loving it afterall... Business as usual right Arlo?..

dpoon
Guide
Guide

In regards to the comments about the  'redundant' hub that is required for the security lights, I read a review that stated that the hub connects to base station to make the battery last longer before recharging:

"To save on power, Netgear is employing Bluetooth to link the light to a hub, which then connects back to an Arlo base station over a proprietary radio link. The setup is a little more complicated than most smart home gear but it seems to work in reducing power consumption and making the batteries last a long time."

Techhive.com

This being the case, I  have no issue with the hub, along with using the Arlo base station.

Arlo also offers additional stand-alone security lights (without a hub) to add onto the existing hub and security lights.

I look forward to adding the security lights to my Arlo cameras!

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@dpoon wrote:

In regards to the comments about the  'redundant' hub that is required for the security lights, I read a review that stated that the hub connects to base station to make the battery last longer before recharging:

Your interpretation fits in with my experience.

The "hub" is a small plug sized device that uses low power bluetooth to communicate with the lights and with your router's wifi. The pain is that the hub takes up yet another mains socket.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
antonis1024
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,
Not sure why I should buy the Arlo light. What does it offer that a Philips hue lamp in association with an Arlo camera doesn't? The only use I can think off, is when I use the Arlo camera behind a glass door on my front porch that otherwise it wouldn't track with its PIR anything at all.. maybe I am missing something, therefore please if someone could enlighten me on this matter. Thank you.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@antonis1024 wrote:
Hi,
Not sure why I should buy the Arlo light. What does it offer that a Philips hue lamp in association with an Arlo camera doesn't?

Can you set a "rule" so that your Philips lamps tell the Arlo cameras to start recording something?

Or is there a way to set the Arlo cameras to turn on the Philips lamps?

The lamps don't even have to be close to the cameras for this to happen.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
antonis1024
Aspirant
Aspirant
Through the IFTTT u can set the hue lamps do no matter what. The integration of Philips Hue system with Arlo is excellent. I can set the Arlo camera once it senses someone to have any light that I prefer turned on, no matter where in my house. In addition, I can not think of any situation where I would need the light to initiate a recording, since that is the nature of the camera itself. Exactly, the hue lights can be no matter where in the building. So by having he Arlo camera mounted somewhere, once it sees something, and triggered , u can have the Philips lights on throughout your main entrance or even house. The only occasion where the Arlo light would be useful, is when I mount the Arlo camera behind a glass door and because the sensor is not working through glass, I would need the Arlo light to initiate the recording.
BrianGG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cannot help but agree with this article, huge thanks for netgear Arlo to launch this product for consumers. I have 7 of these and i am more than happy for these.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BrianGG,

This is great to hear! I'm glad Arlo is helping you meet your security needs.

JamesC

Arlord
Star
Star

will the security light system with my original arlo base station?... the old one? . great deal on costco right now. if yes then ill buy

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The lights SYSTEM will work with your old system. To be clear, the lights must connect to the lights bridge, not a base station, so buy a system that includes the bridge, not just a light.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Arlord wrote:

will the security light system with my original arlo base station?... the old one?

No. Arlo lights come with their own low-energy Bluetooth "bridge". That then talks to your router"s wifi.

I can't see why it would make any difference if it did work with an Arlo base station. After all, that also has to talk to a router, albeit with a wired connection.

Just another user
Arlord
Star
Star

in order to link the cameras to the light you have to have a base station which is why i want to know if the system/bridge will work with the old base station

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlord,

Yes, the Lights will work for cross-triggering with cameras on any Arlo Base Station (old or new as you mention).

JamesC

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Arlord wrote:

in order to link the cameras to the light you have to have a base station which is why i want to know if the system/bridge will work with the old base station

That's a different question. Then again who knows what you mean by this:

will the security light system with my original arlo base station?

There seems to be something missing in there.

The lights connect through the bridge that establishes a link to your router.There is no direct link between the bridge and the Arlo base station.

The bridge uses wifi to talk to the router. The base station also talks to the router. In that way, the lights use wifi to communicate with the cameras and vice versa.

Just another user
rossi123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the movement indicator on the light trigger in the daytime or just around evening time when light is required? So as to utilize It to trigger cameras It needs to trigger constantly. It is about time for Arlo to build up an independent movement locator, such huge numbers of different frameworks offer them

Chaturbate Xnxx Tubegalore

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Motion detection should work all the time the light is not disarmed. It's the light that doesn't turn on during the day.

jlpowell84
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ jguerdat Looks like my response didnt post or was deleted?  Not sure page was open with response posted for couple days and I just refreshed to see any helpful response and my reply is non existent now that I made couple days ago?  It was posted on my page...

I have 3 security lights, 2 Pro cameras.  All on front of house covering about 120 feet horizontally with base station and router in room on front of house not quite centered.  I set ALL 3 lights to turn on other lights when triggered and record on both cams until motion stops up to 300 seconds.  IT is not working!  The lights seem to come on all now although sometimes one wont turn on randomly.  But my cameras WILL NOT record for nothing.  My driveway cam covers my entire driveway which goes about 65ft out to road.  I understand it might not record clear out to road which is fine although before I updgraded from basic plan it literally recorded and notified me of every single car that drove by.  Anyway I had my truck and 20ft trailer backed alomost all the way in which comes down driveway then to side of house where corner of trailer is maybe 15ft from cam.  The recording started when I had only about 3-4 ft left of backing up, then I opened my door and got out in less than 2 seconds as I wanted it to keep recording.  But it stopped as I hopped out of my truck.  Then I went to rear door, opened, got some items, looked in my bed, my trailer then walked toward house.  The second recording did not start until I was 6-7 ft from cam so it skipped me out of my truck and walking around which is maybe 18-23 ft from cam.  

Why is it not auto recording when lights triggered?  Settings are correct...

Buying the lights, part of my motivation too was to use the extra motion sensors to trigger cameras to record.  I'm not asking this system for perfection just to work right.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Without seeing your modes and rules, we can't be sure. It may be that setting a fixed toime for recording may work properly  at least something to try.

jlpowell84
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, what would you like to see?  Modes and rules I assume the setings page within lights? 

There seems to be a vast difference when I paid to upgrade the app as far as the cameras picking things up.  I know how sensitive it can be as when I first mounted it in a inferior spot it RECORDED EVERYTHING!  I just walked outside up far side of my truck/trailer, up driveway to mailbox, back down driveway, stopped at front of truck, opened front door then rear door and it recorded nothing, not until I walked to rear of truck.  This cams whiole point is to keep eye on my truck/trailer...But yes you need to see and this kinda is off topic for light thread although it is not recording at night or day when light motion is triggered.  I just power cycled base and moved bridge closer to outside wall.

jlpowell84
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is view from driveway cam so one can follow myt description.  I just powered cycled base and bridge, heading out to see if motion on the lights will trigger cams.  

Edit: cant post file is too big, its just a screen shot so not sure why its too big to upload.  Downsized, have photo loaded into little preview screen but there is not option to proceed from there.  One would think you would click the Navy blue upload box but it simply gives me a cursor icon, there is no button or option to click upload.  

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jlpowell84 wrote:

There seems to be a vast difference when I paid to upgrade the app as far as the cameras picking things up.  I know how sensitive it can be as when I first mounted it in a inferior spot it RECORDED EVERYTHING!  I just walked outside up far side of my truck/trailer, up driveway to mailbox, back down driveway, stopped at front of truck, opened front door then rear door and it recorded nothing, not until I walked to rear of truck. 

This sounds like a mode and rules thing.

Have you created any modes?

Find the manual here:

User Manual

See the section Modes, Rules, and Smart Alerts.

Just another user
jlpowell84
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, yes I have seen this.  If moving forward I will create new mode and rules to execute.  So far power cycling the base station and bridge seem to have reset things for the better.  my lights are now triggering the cams to record and getting recordings just after a car passes, cant see it but can hear it passing.  I now have lights motion sensitivity at 60 and still triggered on cars passing.  Kinda weird my camera is on 100 but not getting cars passing, sigh.  Not that I want cars but prefer to have cam motion sens triggered at least same if not better than lights.  Not sure why this is happening.  Ceratainly a few second delay on recording when light triggers it over it being triggered by its own motions sens.

My rules are set as:  Truck light #1 and Truck light #2 both to do exact same things.  Both are pointed down at truck/trailer on corner of house one on either side of the corner maybe 7-8 ft apart.  Both trigger all three lights to come on (25 seconds) and trigger both front door and driveway cams to record up to 300 seconds.  Front door light is set to simply come on 25 seconds and trigger front door cam and not other lights/cam.

So lights are now triggering motion to driveway cam but driveway cam still seems not working to it's potential and like the sensitivity I experienced BEFORE upgrading to paid app to determine person or car or...You would think a Arlo Pro cam would have motion sensing at 100 over a light at 60 yes?

jlpowell84
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought I would report to document but after power cycling the base station and bridge the cameras and lights are behaving drastically different in a good way.  They are literally picking up EVERYTHING.  My front door cam before I upgraded to paid plan never got a car going by.  The road in 65ft away from that cam and it's just a 30ft gap through trees for clear sight path for camera but its getting them.  I can just use ignore vehicles now...

My cameras are still having trouble stopping recording DIRECTLY in middle of motion.  Last night I even did a test and moved around more than a tweaker would flapping my arms, waving a jacket around to ensure ZERO stoppage in motion even for a second (hopefully no neighbors watching!) and the driveway cam stopped right in the middle for good 10-12 seconds then picked me up walking away.  I def need these cams to not do this as if it actually ever was a situation.  But last night our Spectrum internet was being very slow (more than normal of 25mbps)  and I think I am going to lay off any more testing, replacing lights/cams to new placement until I get a Spectrum guy out to assess why I am only getting around 22-30mbps all the time.  I am also going to get a 3 piece Unifi wifi enhancing system to further my signal for the entire Arlo system benefit.

So we are working better but if network is bogging down they act very funny.  Light security lights pick up cars driving by 65-80ft away while last night I was 8ft slightly to side of one of them and it wouldnt turn on until lityerally in front of it!  My front door light 50ft away through bushes turned on first lol!  Anyway good times seems solid advice for newbies is make sure internet is set well, speeds are well and wifi signal is enhanced with one of the systems out there.  A buddy of mine works in tech/network work for living and he advised the unifi system for around 180.

PS: My costco has the 3 light package with 3 mounts and 4 total batteries for 149.99 !

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your arrms and definitely the coat do not have the same size IR signature as the whole body. A better test is continuous side to side walking, perhaps starting near the camera and slowly moving away so you can determine at approximately what distance motion is failed to be detected.

FWIW, I found that once motion was no longer detected, the camera would record for 5 seconds longer and then stop.