Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Problem with custom mode and Arlo Security Lights

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
lisakc
Tutor
Tutor

Just received my preordered package of 2 Arlo security lights with a bridge. I LOVE my Arlo cameras and could not wait to get the security lights to go with them! After reviewing the tutorials and we quickly set up the lights on the Arlo App and installed one camera on the front side of our house and one camera in the backyard. We placed the bridge on the second story, near our Orbi Router located equidistant as possible from both lights. After installing both lights discovered that the bridge could NOT communicate with both lights placed in different locations around our home. After waiting for 2 hours for support (technicians are not trained before shipment) found out that lights communicate with the bridge via Bluetooth technology. Therefore when customers install the bridge inside their home, they may not be able to communicate with multiple lights. I was told to order another bridge for $60.  Definitely not a wise purchase. Netgear appreciated my feedback. My advice is buyer beware, and know that you most likely will need to purchase multiple bridges to connect to lights all around your home.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lisakc
Tutor
Tutor

I think it is all fine now, the triangle went away but it comes back sporadically. I am using IOS

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know if you need another bridge. Have you tried using the range finder test in the app to maximize the bridge location?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Each Arlo Bridge has a range of up to 100 feet. It sounds like you might be experiencing the issue due to the bridge location or the range between the lights and the bridge. Take a look here for placement tips for your bridge: How do I position my Arlo Security Light and Arlo Bridge? You might also find this video on placement helpful when positioning your lights and bridge: Placement & Helpful Tips | Arlo Security Light

As jguerdat mentions above, try using the Range Finder Test feature to make sure your lights are within range of the bridge. Take a look here for more information on how to use this feature: Arlo Support How can I tell if my Arlo Security Light is within range of my Arlo Bridge?

JamesC 

lisakc
Tutor
Tutor

The Range finder flashes green, indicating that the bridge is within 100 feet of the light, however, the app shows connected but has an amber exclamation point, and the motion person is greyed out.  Arlo support blames the communication error on walls? There is one wall and a window between the bridge and the light. I don't feel like this should be an issue. If  I move the bridge so that the signal only has to pass through the window, it works, 5 ft further, it doesn't. I do not have elevated outlets. Sorry, but it is so frustrating to follow the instructions and not have a functioning unit, I thought I might have a defective bridge, but the 2 hour support wait time is unbearable, and apparently, this is how it is supposed to function.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, you can usually swap new equipment at the store within the grace period. That would prove a bad bridge or not. Also, BT uses the 2.4GHz band as do many other wireless devices. Interference due to any 2.4GHz device, WiFi or not, can be an issue. I would try moving the bridge to various other outlets, even in the same room, to see if that helps.

In addition, there may be something in the wall that's blocking the signal. Ductwork, wiring, even the metal screening used on stucco houses can all block the signal. What is the house construction? Can you verify that nothing is likely in the wall(s) that could block the signal? Again, relocating the bridge would help figure that out

lisakc
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, moving the bridge 5 ft closer to the back of the house enables the backyard light but disables the front yard light.  Since it is communicating with at least one light, my assumption is that the stucco is not the issue. If I position the bridge in the outlet behind the bedroom door, it can communicate with the backyard light, but not the front. It current location communicates with the front yard light but not the back. I attached a picture, if I move the bridge 5 ft closer behind the bedroom door, it works with the back yard but not the front.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lisakc,

From your description, it definitely sounds like the walls are causing an interference issue. Is it possible for you to try finding a central location for the bridge and relocate the lights until they are able to maintain their connection with the bridge?

JamesC

lisakc
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately, we already drilled the holes, mounted the light consistent with the rangefinder app, so no, its a pretty untenable situation, the distance is not that far and we are talking about one wall and one window, which I assumed a 2.4GHz frequency could handle. I wouldn't even mind if I had any idea about this situation prior to purchasing the unit. The bridge IS in a central location between the  2 lights. I believe this is an issue with the bridge, it needs help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lisakc,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this issue.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, the wire mesh supporting the stucco works like a Faraday cage. That's why it works fine when placed so only a window is in the way. A second bridge or different locations for the bridge and/or lights would be choices unless JamesC can come up with something else.

JSBRIDGE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just received mine and I cannot get the bridge to connect to my home network. Tried all the steps still not connecting. Once I can solve this, I will see if the same concern with my 2 lights is there. Good point. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JSBRIDGE,

There are a few reasons that you could be experiencing an issue. Take a look at this article for tips that could help with getting your bridge connected: I can’t set up the Arlo Bridge that came with my Arlo Light Security system; what do I do?

JamesC

JSBRIDGE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. I tried all these steps many times and still no success. 

@JamesC wrote:

JSBRIDGE,

There are a few reasons that you could be experiencing an issue. Take a look at this article for tips that could help with getting your bridge connected: I can’t set up the Arlo Bridge that came with my Arlo Light Security system; what do I do?

JamesC

Thanks. I tried all of these steps with no success. I do not have any concerns with other devices, just this bridge. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JSBRIDGE,

What is the bridge LED behavior when going through setup? What model device are you using(iOS.Android)?

JamesC

lisakc
Tutor
Tutor

I think it is all fine now, the triangle went away but it comes back sporadically. I am using IOS

JSBRIDGE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everything seems to be going normal. The light is blinking blue and I eventaully get to select the desired network, same one that is on my mobile device. It begins the process of connecting to the network, but always fails and I am told to either try again or do a factory reset. I have done both now over 20 times. I am using my apple phone as my mobile device; so IOS. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If changing the location where the bridge is plugged in (to eliminate any interference issues) doesn't help, I'd swap at the store.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JSBRIDGE,

I see you have a support case open on this issue already. I encourage you to continue working with the support team to arrive at a resolution.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation