Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

geofencing isnt working anymore

Discussion stats
Molch
Initiate
Initiate

Hello everyone, my geofencing doesn't seem to be working anymore. I've already tried everything (rebooting the base station, camera, and smartphone) - no success.

Does anyone know who can help with this, or if there's a solution for it?

Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have reached out to the development team with the information you provided. Can I get the app version you all are using as well please. Thank you and I will update as soon as possible. 

90 REPLIES 90
alaniz4
Aspirant
Aspirant

So will we hear from arlo on the progress to fix this issue or is this just a feed for us?

alaniz4
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry I didn't see the last message. Mine is Arlo Pro2 Firmware 1.24.0.1_4436_8938, Hardware VMB4000r3, and iPhone update 17.7

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for the information you provided. The development team is currently investigating this, I will reach out to you as soon as I have an update. 

MichaelT90
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ha! That's it! 

The app is just a fancy wrapper for their website. Nothing is really fully stored on the devices. So I bet the dev team are backing up prod to dev, making changes in dev, committing changes to prod. This essentially constantly restoring all the issues we all keep resolving! 

It's futile if that's the case, and and Dev person needs to rethink their process. 

It also explains why early on it was an issue more often, and now it takes a day or 2 to go wrong again. This also explains a plethora of other issues. 

matduke
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I am running iOS 18 with my iPhone 16 with the latest Arlo app and the geofencing function is not working . Thanks  

jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

An update.

I've been an Arlo customer since 2017, using various models of their Pro cameras. Reflecting on those 7 years, it's been issue after issue, year after year, "upgrade" after "upgrade".  Rarely has it ever worked fully as planned for a sustained period.

But this new geofencing issue was the final straw.

Last weekend I went out and bought a set of Eufy cameras. First impressions? So much better in every way. Build quality, video quality, app design. But best of all, geofencing actually works.

So from now on I'll be an ex-Arlo user. I'm not being smug, the jokes on me, I've spent $000s on this brand. Not any more.

To everyone else on here, good luck, I hope they sort it out, but I'm not waiting anymore.

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@jcrain wrote:

Last weekend I went out and bought a set of Eufy cameras. First impressions? So much better in every way. Build quality, video quality, app design. But best of all, geofencing actually works.

Unfortunately I still have to stick to my ARLOs here.

Keen to leave ARLO but can't find any non-China brand that:

• does NOT mandate subscription
  • allows footage stored locally

I am sure many non-ARLOs are working great, but I just won't touch any China brand, when it comes to both home security and my home network.

Alex

Marclee78
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve got both, Eufy are nowhere near Arlo 

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@Marclee78 wrote:

I’ve got both, Eufy are nowhere near Arlo 

Not sure what feature Eufy is offering, but I am happy with the price and feature offering from ARLO ...

... so long IF ARLO's features are working!  (but they are NOT!)

@Marclee78 has your ARLO been working fine?

Alex

MichaelT90
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm not sure what to do, as for us Amazon refuse to help saying it's arlos problem. 

All I've been offered is a money off my subscription voucher that I can't use.

What brand would you recommend? 

MichaelT90
Apprentice
Apprentice

Geofencing has never worked great, but since June, it's completely stopped 

alaniz4
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure when the end of life is for my arlo pro 2s but, didn't apple have a similar issue where people were forced to upgrade due to "non compatible" versions of iPhones?

MichaelT90
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't think this is a compatibility issue, this is just bad coding, bad processes and process management, and no support. 

I have pro 4's and and essential cameras, the same issues, I have their latest doorbell also wth the same issues.

Marclee78
Aspirant
Aspirant

I seem to have sorted mine out now they only started playing up after iOS 18, my wife had 6 old iPhones on her account and I managed to delete them and an old one on mine (which I didn’t know existed) anyway it’s working perfectly again now

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@Marclee78 wrote:

I seem to have sorted mine out now they only started playing up after iOS 18, my wife had 6 old iPhones on her account and I managed to delete them and an old one on mine (which I didn’t know existed) anyway it’s working perfectly again now

good to hear that.  I'd like to copycat your working case but may I know:

1.  how long has this been "sorted and working fine"?

2. how many iPhones and Android devices do you now have, in this ARLO setup?

3.  how many accounts do you have, in this ARLO setup? (say an "invited" account with another family member will be the second one, and so on)

4.  do you have geofencing automations in your ARLO setup?  (ie.  all devices away then trigger; one of devices back home then trigger)

Many thanks.

Alex

Marclee78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Alex

I've had these for years, original ultra I think and 99% of the time geofencing works perfect, I have 2 iPhones on it- mine is the master and my wife is on via shared account. I use a schedule geofence combination so if any of us are at home the 3 cameras around the house don't pick up motion and just the doorbell does however if we are both 'away' then all cameras are set to pick up motion, along with this no matter where we are all cameras activate after 2100 until 0700 regardless. This started playing up after we upgraded to IOS 18 in that all of a sudden my wifes phone was always showing away. I could never work out how to delete my wifes old phones off account but somebody on here gave me the solution (on a different thread) that you have to do it off her account even though its working through your account!! 

Hope this helps, worked for me