Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the multi camera plan and have been having issues that every few days I stop getting notifications, sometimes this is fixed by getting off wifi, sometimes not. When experimenting on the notification issue, e.g. rebooting, ensuring App is up to date; I noticed that I am having screenshots and timestamps without videos in the library. For example, under devices I have a camera that updated 28 minutes ago, but no notification or video in library.

17 REPLIES 17
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you use activity zones?

FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only on one of the cameras.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FredStar68 wrote:

For example, under devices I have a camera that updated 28 minutes ago, but no notification or video in library.

When you say screenshots with no videos, are you just talking about the time on the live thumbnail?  Or are you seeing still images in the Library or Feed?

FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is a still image on the devices screen with a timestamp, stating XX minutes ago. For example one is of a walking stick at some point last night.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FredStar68 wrote:

It is a still image on the devices screen with a timestamp, stating XX minutes ago. For example one is of a walking stick at some point last night.

That is what I mean by the "live thumbnail".

I think there are other things that cause these these screenshots to update.  A firmware update for example. But another scenario is the motion video is never getting to the Arlo cloud.

When you walk across the field of view of the cameras, does it reliably notifiy you?

FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, albeit with a delay of a few seconds 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FredStar68 wrote:

Yes, albeit with a delay of a few seconds 

I think it'd be more concerning if they didn't.

Are there any situations where they didn't trigger when you know there was someone (or something) moving in front of the camera?

FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes we had wild hogs tear up our garden several nights recently and the arlos barely catch any of it. Only when they enter/leave the view, but not when they are rummaging within the camera view itself.  Another example was last night my 5yo son got up and played for about an hour at night and none of it is displaying in the library.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FredStar68 wrote:

Yes we had wild hogs tear up our garden several nights recently and the arlos barely catch any of it. Only when they enter/leave the view, but not when they are rummaging within the camera view itself. 

How far away were the hogs from the camera while in the garden?  Were they within the range here:

@FredStar68 wrote:

Another example was last night my 5yo son got up and played for about an hour at night and none of it is displaying in the library.

One thing you might try here is the motion detection test using your son (making it a game perhaps).

I'm not saying the cameras work perfectly by any means, just wanting to help you get the best performance you can out of them.

FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will have to measure about the hogs; as for my son. Every morning it picks up his motion without fail, it was just last night where the issue occured.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FredStar68 wrote:

Every morning it picks up his motion without fail, it was just last night where the issue occured.

FWIW, I've seen a couple of posts here from people saying their cameras recently became less sensistive at night.

What camera model is this?

FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

The one for my son is an indoor essential, all others are essential spotlights. All of them are the models before the most recent ones came out sometime either last year or early this year.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FredStar68 wrote:

The one for my son is an indoor essential, all others are essential spotlights. All of them are the models before the most recent ones came out sometime either last year or early this year.

The essential indoor camera should be using pixel detection to detect motion.  Was the play area lit?

FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

The far area is lit, as I mentioned it has never not picked him up until the last 24 hours or so.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FredStar68 wrote:

The far area is lit, as I mentioned it has never not picked him up until the last 24 hours or so.

Sorry, I thought it just didn't pick him up that one playtime.

Are you saying it still isn't working correctly?  If so, does it pick you up when you enter that area?

FredStar68
Aspirant
Aspirant

You were correct, it worked up until last night. So far today all the cameras are working fine. I am not sure why they all had issues from about 10pm through 4am last night, was there a firmware update?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FredStar68 wrote:

You were correct, it worked up until last night. So far today all the cameras are working fine. I am not sure why they all had issues from about 10pm through 4am last night, was there a firmware update?

Not that I know of.

But Arlo uses a rolling-release process for firmware, and it can take a very long time for updates to reach everyone.  So I can't rule that out.