Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hi All

I'd like to tell you all about the perpetual hide and seek game that my router and SmartHub are playing, thanks to Arlo's crazy approach to WiFi channels: so my router, which is a Fritz!box and a very well made and respectable router here in Europe, switches channels every time it detects SmartHub is broadcasting on the same channel as the fritzbox. What does Arlo do? Well, we all know the dreaded response: it follows it. This is happening at least twice a day, and the worst thing about it is that you can't stop it without investing more of your hard earned money in more equipment.

If your router and SmartHub are playing this kind of game, too, please leave a comment below.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use a longer Ethernet cable to move the hub away from the router. That way the router and hub choose their own channels. You can also use a power line or WiFi extender to do this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Use a longer Ethernet cable to move the hub away from the router. 

Not sure that will work here, since the base is designed to follow the strongest wifi signal it sees.  The Fritz will almost certainly still have the strongest signal in the new location.  And it appears that the Fritz is designed to avoid the strongest wifi signal it sees - which would almost certainly be the base.

Since you can't change the base behavior, @Edinburgh_lad1 needs to find a way to prevent the Fritz from avoiding the strongest signal it sees.  If the Fritz lets him set the channel instead of auto-selecting it (likely it does), then I'd suggest setting the router channel manually.

FWIW, I think the point of this post is to try to convince Arlo that they should provide the ability to manually set the wifi channel.  Which (as I've posted before) would be useful in some situations.  This is one of those, as continually switching channels can disrupt wifi connections on both networks.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

> FWIW, I think the point of this post is > to try to convince Arlo that they >should provide the ability to manually >set the wifi channel. 

Indeed @StephenB 

@jguerdat I'm afraid I can't move the SmartHub away as it sits on the same  trolley/shelves as the router in the hallway.

It's ridiculous that you can't even change WiFi channels that this dumb system uses.