Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Since ios17 was introduced the notifications of the arlo app are hardly audible because apple has changed the default sound of notifications to one with a much lower volume. This makes it impossible to hear notifications while sleeping when people trespass our property. Arlo : when will you build in a custom sound possibility for notifications. 

Without this change our home security system is almost useless. 

Best answers
  • _Rocky_
    Star
    Star

They have, you need to update your apple device to IOS 17.2 the then on your device go to settings, sounds, default settings then choose the sound you want to use for arlo, also make sure on your arlo app you have chosen default OS tone.

• Brendafromsp
    Star
    Star

If you update to the latest version of iOS you have a wide range of sounds to choose from for your notification sound, there are some that are louder. For me I’ve chosen to use the suggestion that was mentioned where Siri tells the message. It is the best audible in the night. In the day time I either have to change the Siri options or mute my phone

• ArloBob1
    Guide
    Guide

IOS 17.2 is available NOW!  

This fixes the issue of notifications that are not loud enough.

Do this:

1) Download and install IOS 17.2

2) Choose SOUNDS & HAPTICS

3) Choose a loud sound that you like

4) Go to the ARLO app, click on your profile (upper left on the dashboard)

5) Choose notifications

6) Make sure the Notification Tone is set to "DEFAULT OS TONE"

ArloBob1_0-1702351119036.pngArloBob1_1-1702351216526.pngArloBob1_2-1702351387082.png

192 REPLIES 192
Plantmom1
Tutor
Tutor

Hello! Can you tell me where you’re seeing that option to change the notification sound? I swear I’ve looked everywhere in the app, as well at the apple notification settings, and I’m not seeing where this can be changed. Thanks!

stefanlindberg
Guide
Guide

stefanlindberg_0-1700071893865.png

stefanlindberg
Guide
Guide

check that you have the latest app update 4.10.5 (7198)

pleaselisten
Tutor
Tutor

New app update still has not fixed the issue. I selected an Arlo sound from the settings it still behaves the same. The only time it will work is if the Arlo app is opened and I am looking at the app. Absolutely useless. 

stefanlindberg
Guide
Guide

yes you are right, tried walking in front of the camera, what a fiasco

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to deliver a solution for the iOS notification default tone change. Three notification Tone options are now available within the iOS Arlo app. Vibrant and Marimba are the new alternative tones available for users who do not prefer the default iOS Tone.

After updating your Arlo app to the latest version available from the app store, you can find these new options under Settings > Notifications > Notification Tone.

If you do not see an available update, you can manually install the update by opening the App Store > Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen > Scroll to see pending updates. Tap Update next to the Arlo Secure app to initiate the update.

You can find detailed instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202180

pleaselisten
Tutor
Tutor

New app update still has not fixed the issue. I selected an Arlo sound(Vibrant) from the settings it still behaves the same. The only time it will work is if the Arlo app is opened and I am looking at the app.

Bill812
Tutor
Tutor

The notifications still do not work.  

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

I can see there are new sounds but I don’t know why, but now my watch doesn’t notify me any more with a sound. And the sound actually is still quite silent. I hope my sound of my watch will come back soon because I don’t always have my phone with me, I have a watch that I can use as a phone. 

Bicycle
Star
Star

My iPhone has  Background App Refresh turned on, and my Arlo version is 4.10 released October 28, 2023.  I read that there is a newer version,  4.10.5 updated very recently,  so I went to the APP store and it is not available to me at this time.  There is no Update. 

Kooguy
Guide
Guide

Same here, thanks for confirming I’m not crazy

MadMax302
Guide
Guide

I had to go to the App Store, click on Arlo Secure: Home Security, then the open button becomes update. The new alerts work for me, and  I guess it’s a step in the right direction, but they’re still inadequate. The alert needs to be a longer sound, and a little louder. 

Bicycle
Star
Star

For the update I had to completly delete the ARLO app from my phone. Then I went to the APP store and clicked on my profile. After that, I scrolled through all my prior purchases until the ARLO app appeared. Then I clicked on the download cloud icon and I got the update.  BUT there are two issues: 

The sounds are not very loud and don't last long.  But more importantly now,  there are zero notifications on my watch. So if I set my phone down on my desk, and walk into another room, I'll hear nothing. The Apple watch used to get notifications before the update. In fact, I couldn't find the ARLO APP on my watch.   I was however able to set the sound more prominently in the Accessibility setting.  Apple shares some blame in this disaster, but ARLO has the ability to fix it, and so far their response has been slow and insufficient. 

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

I have the same problem. Because the new notification sound is not significant enough i thought it would would be better to use the work around of Siri. 
When i disabled this workaround the notification sound on my watch worked again. 
now they need to program Arlo in a way where the watch will work and the phone also . And also they need to program a sound that is more notable and longer. 

Radamshti
Initiate
Initiate

The current notification sounds are unacceptable. These sounds, especially for a night warning, are supposed to be warning us of a possible intruder. I need a louder, more “serious” sound for a night warning. 

Kooguy
Guide
Guide

Exactly! These tones are useless! Can’t understand why Arlo would “rush” to fix the problem, and then install useless tones??

itisme2
Guide
Guide

I've read thru all of these suggestions and I tried everything. Nothing works. My alert sound is still very quiet and almost a silent chirp. ARLO: please find a fix for this!!!!

Wcassidy
Tutor
Tutor

I really don’t understand this fix. You gave 2 sound options. The “louder” one sounds like a T-mobile commercial. The 2nd sound is as worthless as the one apple changed it to. If you figured out how to give us sound options, why wouldn’t you use the original alert as an option? This is supposed to be a security device. Your fix sounds like I’m getting an eBay alert or something. Please step up and fix. Otherwise this has become useless. 

gjcyoung
Initiate
Initiate

The added options are no louder than the quiet one that was forced upon us after the iOS update. This is not a fix.

Bicycle
Star
Star

My iPhone is a 14 Pro with the latest iOS. I also wear an Apple Watch series 8 with the latest iOS. Unfortunately APPLE decided that if I am wearing their watch I don't need notifications on both the phone and the watch, so their iOS sends notification to the watch only.  But weirdly that only happens some of the time and without explanation. I was able to set the tone to Prominent on the watch Accessibility Setting. So that helps somewhat. But before APPLE changed their iOS I was able to get a prominent sound from ARLO notifications on BOTH the iPhone and the watch.

So, APPLE if you are listing and you value your business relationship with ARLO, help fix this issue and bring back the dual notifications (iPhone and watch) for ARLO. Or perhaps, APPLE would rather steer their customers towards their Apple HomeKit Secure Video products. 

Bicycle
Star
Star

My iPhone is a 14 Pro with the latest iOS. I also wear an Apple Watch series 8 with the latest iOS. Unfortunately APPLE decided that if I am wearing their watch I don't need notifications on both the phone and the watch, so their iOS sends notification to the watch only.  But weirdly that only happens some of the time and without explanation. I was able to set the tone to Prominent on the watch Accessibility Setting. So that helps somewhat. But before APPLE changed their iOS I was able to get a prominent sound from ARLO notifications on BOTH the iPhone and the watch.

So, APPLE if you are listing and you value your business relationship with ARLO, help fix this issue and bring back the dual notifications (iPhone and watch) for ARLO. Or perhaps, APPLE would rather steer their customers towards their Apple HomeKit Secure Video products. 

DrSandy
Initiate
Initiate

Amen to all the concerns mentioned in this thread. As a senior with some hearing loss a more powerful, louder Arlo notification sound is imperative for safety! Please address this. My updated app does not show an option to fix this!

DrSandy
Initiate
Initiate

My updated app does not have these alert tone options… would love to have the tri tone or marimba..but not showing in the Arlo app and I have the latest version.

PapaRichL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, agree with all the comments here. We need a fix. I have an iPhone 13 pro plus with the latest iOS and have changed my notification sound to Marimba but it still uses the iOS default regardless, and it is way too soft.