Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
brad_lewis
Tutor
Tutor

When trying to set up geofenceing there is No devices listed under available devices, how ever under setting privacy settings there are three devices listed. How to I get them across?

256 REPLIES 256
Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

I’m having a similar issue.   But instead the app, or something else, is creating g multiple iterations of the same phone.   So instead of looking for two phones to leave, it’s looking for 3-4 phones, when only two exist. 

and then when I go into privacy center, enabled geolocation devices I cannot delete the cloned/duplicated devices for my wife’s phone.   So I have to remove as a listed user, then hope it works properly.   

her Arlo app appears to randomly log her off.  I’m not sure if when she logs on again it clones another device w the exact same name. 

worst automated device I’ve ever had the displeasure of using.  Absolutely appalling.  Terrible. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thankyou Brooke but after 6 months of “looking into” my problems i have given up. Today all the cameras come down and are to be replaced with Eufy. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don’t want a lecture from you about multiple posts etc. I am over the lack of customer support. I have had nothing but problems since being forced onto the Arlo secure app. Arlo must know they have major issues with the app and many angry customers. After raising my initial problem of duplicate phones six months ago, nothing has changed. No progress and I have no GF functionality. It is just not good enough. I will damage the Arlo brand wherever and whenever I can. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

To anybody reading this app who is trying to get issues resolved with Arlo, good luck. I would suggest there comes a time when you have to cut your losses and try another brand. I persisted with Arlo customer service in the hope that my problems would be solved and the thousands of dollars I have spent, would not be wasted. Eventually I realised I had to move on, ditch Arlo and try another brand. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

One last observation. I opened multiple posts on the same issue as I started new Arlo accounts twice since December 2023. This was in an attempt to solve my problems. Subsequently I reposted my problems in my new Arlo account. Get your facts right before you attack me, the customer. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Was not attacking you, was simply stating that I have responded in other posts that you have written. I understand the frustration and our development team is looking into this for a resolution as soon as possible. I do apologize I do not have any updates as of yet. We hate to see you go as a customer and wish you the very best. 

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

Had arlo secure app and their home security system for about a month.  Had to find a replacement when Google stopped supporting Nest Secure.    Thought i researched a well thought out replacement with arlo.  Not so.

Geofencing automations are not rocket science.  My Phillips Lights, my Apple home supported devices, even my Roomba robot vacuum cleaners work flawlessly.  Not Arlo’s geofencing.    Works for a day.  Then stops.

It appears to clone extra geolocation devices somehow.  One day it will just have my wife’s phone and my phone as geolocation devices. Then the next day there will be three, sometimes four devices.   Often it’s my wife’s phone that clones these additional devices.   The arming won’t work properly, since the app is looking for all devices to leave, and only two devices actually exist. The cloned devices have the correct name, but they are obviously not physically present.   

She goes into the app, deletes the extra devices that now are listed on her phone as available geolocation devices, and it might work.   More frequently we’ve renamed her device after deleting the cloned device.

Yesterday we did that, renamed her only device after deleting two other cloned devices.  This morning it had reverted to the old named devices.    Only one device was listed for her, but on both my app and hers it showed the old name for her device.  And it again failed to properly arm when we both left.

She’s turned off notifications cuz she’s tired of so many notifications due to my continually having to monkey and troubleshoot the app.   The rest of the features appear to work properly, but geolocation and auto arming/disarming is critical to user friendliness and continued use.   To have to manually arm and disarm upon arrival, to have to pull out the app and check to see if the stupid app has worked as it should, etc is just terrible. 

Alarm systems that take human involvement to arm/disarm are just too cumbersome for most.  These companies sell you via fear of terrible events,  home invasion, burglary, fire, package thefts, etc.  But once you realize that its a bunch of sold fears, then the hassle of arming/disarming makes the entire process just not worth the cost/benefit ratio.

How hard can this be??  I’ve spent over 400 dollars with arlo.  I’m about to send it all back.   

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

Junk.  Plain and simple.   Get with it.  Hire some engineers that can troubleshoot and develop proper running programs.     

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

Still broken.  Clones additional devices so we end up having two or three devices with the same names as the true physical devices, but since only two devices are listed but the app is looking for three or four devices to leave the home, then it never arms.   

junk.  Total junk.

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

It’s still making phantom devices, daily.   Works for a few hours, then presto!!  My wife’s phone is listed twice as a geolocation device, when only one phone exists.   

I have to call her, ask her to stop what she is doing, open up her arlo app, go into the proper location on the app (she’s getting much better at navigating to that tab etc) and delete the duplicated devices, and often I’ll have her rename her actual device.  Works for less than a day and it happens again.      I’ve tried not renaming her device and renaming her device.  Makes no difference.   It clones additional versions of her phone.   

Why is a screen shot needed?  Seems a pretty simple description of the problem.  Your app or server or whatever is creating additional devices that have no physical location, since their is only one actual physical device.  

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

Having the same exact experience.   New to arlo.  I had Google Nest Secure.  Worked great until Google decided they would no longer support the hardware.  I was spoiled by the seamless and reliable features of the Nest hardware/software.  I was told Arlo was reliable and aggressive in coming out with improved features,  integration into home automation.  I’m finding that to be entirely untrue.

Delete duplicate devices, then within as short as a few hours another phone with the same name will pop up, typically my wife’s phone.    Geolocation stops working.  

my wife is about to have me return the entire thing and just not have a security system.

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

I’ve done the exact same things to try to solve the problem. With no luck.

delete app.  Reinstall.

Reinvite my wife to use the app etc, after deleting app on her phone and reinstalling.

Both of us have iPhones that are relatively new (hers is two years old, mine one year old). IOS is up to date.   Apps automatically update as necessary.   We have very reliable WIFI and internet service.    All other geolocation devices work properly with our phones (iRobot, Apple Home, Phillips Hue lights, etc etc). 

i fear this is a harbinger of things to come with arlo.   They need to hire Google Nest’s old engineers and fire the ones they have now working at Arlo.  It can’t be that hard if everyone else seems to have figured out how to make it work properly.

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

Amen.    I’m new to arlo but i feel the same way.   I’m loyal to a company that shows it’s loyal to its customers.  I become an Advocate for quality products.  But I also believe in the power of collective voices when something is not right.  And Arlo’s customer service and hardware/software development, support seems like crap.

Seems to me Arlo pays lip service to the issues that arise in their products.    

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

So when are you going to fix this problem rather than telling folks you are aware of it and are working on it? Sounds to me that your engineers are either incompetent or overworked.   Should not take six months to fix a problem that other software/hardware developers have figured out long ago.   A day or maybe a week to solve a buggy software issue.  Not a year.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you try to edit the name of the device and see if it changes the name for the duplicate device as well?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you try to edit the name of the device and see if it changes the name for the duplicate device as well?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

j-eirik
Aspirant
Aspirant

'

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

So it changed the duplicate device as well?

j-eirik
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, I thought I answered a PM 🙈

kranknpop
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @BrookeN   I changed the name of "this device" (the only one that it will let me change) a few weeks ago, and it changed the duplicate as well.  Just now, I changed the name again, and it did not immediately change the name of the duplicate device.  However, I suspect that over time, the duplicate device name will change, just as after deleting the duplicate device, it eventually gets added back.  I will update when that happens.

kranknpop
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @BrookeN   Well, I assumed wrongly again.  After changing the name of the device, it has now reverted back to the previous name.  The name of the duplicate device did not seem to be affected by any of the name changes.

DualShock
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @BrookeN ,

It happened to me again. I no longer see geofencing devices again.

I opened up the Arlo app on my iPhone while away from home and the app had been unloaded from RAM by iOS so it launched from scratch. It showed a status of Standby instead of Armed.

I checked Privacy Center and it showed duplicate devices again!

I deleted the duplicate, and it now shows No Devices under the geofencing automations.

I did not take screenshots of the duplicate device, but I can attach a screenshot of No Devices.

IMG_3026.png

Could you help again please? Thanks!

Tommy7
Aspirant
Aspirant

No luck. I changed it, logged out and back in to iCloud. Tried deleting the arlo app also but the names don’t change in the enabled mobile devices