Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
The_Riddler
Guide
Guide

When I review my feed in the Arlo Secure app on my iPad in landscape orientation, there does not appear to be a X button to come out of the current video. If I rotate the iPad to portrait mode, the X is there. 

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @The_Riddler 

Thanks for the feedback, this is functioning by design. To get in to landscape mode, you will need to rotate the device. 

The_Riddler
Guide
Guide

I think there's some misunderstanding of my query. I recognise that rotating the device will cause it to switch modes but my point is that when you are in landscape mode there is no way to exit a replaying video as there is when watching it in portrait mode. In landscape mode, there is no X button to exit. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@The_Riddler wrote:

In landscape mode, there is no X button to exit. 

@ShayneS:  This bug has been in the app with iPads for a long time, IMO it should have been resolved by now.

Viper3221
Tutor
Tutor

@ShayneS I also have reported this problem on this forum and to Arlo support directly.

I definitely would consider this a bug rather than a ‘by design feature’.  The app allows you to use it in landscape mode on an iPad but the UI is totally broken when viewing a feed video in landscape mode including there being no close button visible to return to the video feed.  

It does not make sense to say that you need to rotate it to portrait because:

1.  An iPad is used in landscape mode 99% of the time.  It is not like a smartphone that is generally used in portrait.  Many users (including me) lock the rotate feature to landscape only so switching to portrait for one thing is a major hassle and breaks the App usability.

2.  Allowing the user to use the app in landscape mode everywhere else then not support a basic feature such as returning to the video feed when in landscape mode is confusing for the user (as highlighted by the many forum threads that have appeared on this topic).

I would imagine the app needs a very simple modification to make it work correctly on a landscape iPad.  The old library UI worked perfectly on an iPad in landscape mode.  Please get this fixed as soon as possible!

Viper3221
Tutor
Tutor

@ShayneS Any update on this please?  App version 4.8 didn’t change anything in this regard.  I’d be interested to know if this is on the list of planned changes or will it be left as it is?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I will be sure to provide more updates as soon as possible. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI,

There was an update that should resolve this concern with the back button on the iPad. Please make sure you have the latest version of the iOS app 4.9

If you do not see the update you can remove and re-install the Arlo app to force the update.

Viper3221
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the update.  It is slightly improved now in landscape mode in that you can tap the video, tap the shrink arrow and then a back button appears.  However this is three clicks, it would be better if the back button was always visible as when in portrait mode.

The above improvement however only applies in Feed videos.  When viewing a device live playback the issue is still present and you need to force close the app or rotate to portrait and press the back button to get out of a video.

So a step forward, but still more improvement required in my opinion to make it usable in landscape mode.

The_Riddler
Guide
Guide

100% agree.