Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
bobbytinnyc
Tutor
Tutor

Is there currently any way to receive a notification if the camera is disconnected from the internet or loses power ?

It seems very easy to disconnect the camera intentionally which should be a trigger event similar to motion or audio detection.

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

no...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DanLongo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will this be something that Arlo investigates?  I was just wondering the same thing, as the camera's are not much good if someone turns the power switch off, or the main meter box switch off.  

A push notification would be useful.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Possible user-end solutions are to use a UPS/battery backup for all network equipment (modem, router, base (if using a wireless system) as well as something for you Q camera to keep it powered at all times.  A user recently posted that he was using a large USB external battery (sold for recharging phones/tablets) which was plugged into the wall to keep the battery charger and had the Q plugged into the battery outlet.  Some such batteries don't charge and power the outlet at the same time so check for this capability before buying.

bobbytinnyc
Tutor
Tutor
It is a pretty basic requirement that if the Camera is armed and it turns off, an alert is generated.

All the workarounds don't solve for having an intruder on site who disconnects the power to the camera by any means.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Your choice. It's not built-in so trying to alleviate the possible issues is sometimes worthwhile.
bobbytinnyc
Tutor
Tutor
I tried the external battery, but ultimately the camera lost power. I just wonder if any of the developers read these threads, since it should be something simple to add and would fix a serious security weakness
Trungtrinh2010
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo q no words