Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 In Conversation
kvblum2007
Aspirant
Aspirant
How long is the power cable that comes with the Arlo Q? If the Arlo Q is mounted at the 7' minimum height, will the power cable reach? It's not practical to have or install electrical outlets at that height. Please explain. Thank you! Kurt B.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The power cable included with the Arlo Q is 10 ft long.

JamesC

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
kvblum2007
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Q isn't available yet but the available spec sheet doesn't show a cable length.

kvblum2007
Aspirant
Aspirant
It seems like the main design feature to be aware of and consider with the Arlo Q is the cable length. I hope the Netgear team thought about this issue.
ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice
Where do you get that there is a 7' minimum height requirement?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

kvblum2007 wrote:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-place-my-Arlo-camera/ta-p/37

That info refers mostly to the Arlo camera , NOT the Q cam.

Looking at the pictures released on the Q cam, it does not appear to use a PIR for sensing motion so other mounting levels would prob apply too

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
kvblum2007
Aspirant
Aspirant
I knew that the link refers to the wireless Arlo. However I still feel the same height and viewing angle requirements would apply.
jriven
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seriously? No response yet from any moderator or staff member? Wonder how support for this product will be.

I'm sure with the product about to be released in two days, at least someone knows the length of the power cord. But it hasn't been released anywhere; not Amazon, not Best Buy, not Fry's, not Newegg. What's the deal? Why the secrecy, Netgear?

As a potential customer looking to buy into a camera system, this is pretty strange.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would be nice to know but pre-release information is what it is.  Supposedly (according to Amazon) shipping starts Jan. 6 so maybe more info will be available then as an officially released product.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The power cable included with the Arlo Q is 10 ft long.

JamesC

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

kvblum2007 wrote:
How long is the power cable that comes with the Arlo Q? If the Arlo Q is mounted at the 7' minimum height, will the power cable reach? It's not practical to have or install electrical outlets at that height. Please explain. Thank you! Kurt B.

I'd presume they'd be at or near the same size as my two Dropcam cords, which are, I dunno, about 5 feet long.  I pretty much knew going in that to place them where I wanted, I'd need to use an extension cord.  It's really as simple as that.  Dropcam didn't spend, and I'd suspect Netgear won't be spending, extra money for additional feet of electrical cable.

janeri9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any problem/s with using a power extension cord to connect an Arlo Q Plus to a power outlet?

For optimum performance, what would be the maximum length of power cord from camera to power outlet?   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it's just for power any good quality cable of pretty much any length should work.  I recently had issues using a battery pack to charge my phone and discovered the cable was subpar.  Low quality cables use smaller wire sizes, leading to issues.  I'm sure there's a maximum length even with good cables since the wires are still small and voltage drops will occur due to this.  Keep it reasonable and you should have no issues.

janeri9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for you reply jguerdat. I'm using the best quality 10m extension I can find and it works up to the point of the camera not being "detected". (The wifi router is TP-LINK Archer D7)  Could this be due to the extension length?

I have tried every suggestion that I can find in the community - factory reset the camera (8 times), removed other wifi devices, created a guest network and  many others.

I'm exhausted  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the camera acts normally starting up, I don't think it's the USB cable - it supplies enough power or it doesn't.  You can test by using only the cable supplied with the camera but i'll wager you have the same problem.  That could lead to either the camera or the power wall wart being bad.  If you have a different 2 amp wall wart you could try that or just return the whole thing to the store for a replacement.

janeri9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat, All my trouble was due to the settings in the modem/router and it was the tiniest thing - PPPoE needed to be changed to PPPoA. PPPoE is more common and recommended by my provider but I needed PPPoA.

I hope this information is useful for someone else struggling with WiFi connection of Arlo, a mobile or the Internet. It would have saved me a world of pain. 

Thank you for being there as a sounding board.  Trial and error prevailed. 

12dennis
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where can I get a power block for the wire Arlo camera
janeri9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi 12dennis, I'm just a beginner like you so there are more experienced members that can help you but I did install my wired Arlo Q and it works perfectly.

I don't know what you mean by a "power block" so can you describe what your problem is or what you are trying to do?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

12dennis wrote:
Where can I get a power block for the wire Arlo camera

The power block for the Q cameras are just an AC to USB convertor...they all put out 5v DC

The camera will draw a bit more than a reg phone, so any one that supports a tablet like an ipad should be plenty of power

( look at the current rating on the block )

EDIT;  checked and as I thought the power cube is 5v at 2amps,... similar output to an ipad cube ( but obv a diff cable as the Q uses one of the newer mini usb ( like lg phone I believe )

Morse is faster than texting!