Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BigBrainsOnBrad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Currently using Activity Zones with Motion Detection, but I can no longer see the Activity Zones in Video Settings (My Devices>Device>Video Settings) for each device.  When reviewing Mode of each device (Device>Edit Mode>Edit Rule>Motion Settings) the Activity Zones appear in Motion Detection Zones but I'm unable to see/edit Activity Zones in Device Settings.

While I'm unable to see/edit zones, it appears they still exist but I'm also receiving recordings outside of the Motion Detection Zones originally defined above.

Help Please........ 

57 REPLIES 57
khudsn7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply jguerdat, your points are well taken.  My first thought too, was that it was just a disgruntled customer(there seem to be quite a few of us) that was spreading the rumor that Netgear was doing away with zones unless you have a subscription.  But it is bothering to me, that you said you are NOT having a problem with zones on your Arlo Q, and you do have a subscription.  I do not have a subscription and I AM having a problem with zones.  That tends to verify what this other person said.  Could it be that this other person...was correct???  Like to hear from others if they are or are not having a problem with zones and whether they do have a subscription, or not.  

Ken

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

khudsn7,

A fix was released recently that may require you to recreate your existing zones. Take a look here for more information: ActivityZones already Exist error message

Try recreating your activity zones and let us know if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC, I deleted my zones and recreated and still got the message.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jguerdat,

I've sent you a PM requesting more information. I no longer see this error after deleting all activity zones and recreating.

JamesC

khudsn7
Apprentice
Apprentice
JameC, there definitely has been a change. I can now create zones after deleting the zones that I had. However, I created a small zone that has no motion and the camera is facing toward a busy street and I get alerts for every car that passes by. In other words I can now create zones in the application which I could not do before, but they are not working correctly. Any motion outside the zone is being picked up by the camera. So it still is NOT working correctly for me. Has anyone else got it to work yet?
Ellisfalcon7
Tutor
Tutor

After hard resetting all cameras I finally got it to work, but the zones don’t appear like they used to under video as you have to refresh the picture for them to show.

better than before but not quite same as before. The app seems flaky since the changes.

khudsn7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry for the above post...it does appear that zones are working now.  After setting the zones, one must go into the modes and rule and click on the zones(which had somehow reset itself to everything).  

However the software is still VERY flaky.  When I go to create a zone, there is one zone already there, that I can not delete(no delete button).  So I reset that zone to a very small square where there is no motion and re-named it "Bad Zone".  Then I create 2 new zones called zone 1(blue box) and zone 2(white box).  So now on this screen I see 3 zones, 1-Bad Zone(green), 2-Zone 1(blue), 3-Zone 2(white).  Then I go to the modes and click on the rule and I see 5 check boxes.  1= Everything, 2=Bad Zone(Green), 3=Zone 1(Blue), 4=Zone 2(white), 5=Zone 1(Green). Where did that last one come from?...anyway, I click only the Zone 1(Blue) and Zone 2(white).  Then it appears that the 2 zones I want, are working and only picking up movement in the zone I want.  Whew!  Looks like this program still needs some work.  Or is there some other mysterious thing, I should do that will clean this up.  Thanks,

Ken

khudsn7
Apprentice
Apprentice

What strange behavior...the missing delete button I mentioned above...is suddenly there now.  The extra check box showing up above...now is gone.  So at this point...it appears everything around zones is working again.  Please don't mess with it anymore.

Ken

P.S.  I need to do a little more testing on this, but...it also appears the extended time length on the videos has been fixed too.  

jasongabler
Star
Star

Grateful that the zone creation error has been fixed, I created a new zone. It saved just fine. But the camera is triggering alerts for activity anywhere within the camera's view, not just zones. Am I missing something, some other setting like "only trigger in zones"?  (Which would be odd, but... anyhow...)

Thanks.

BigBrainsOnBrad
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

I appreciate your feedback on "The Fix" but with one fix another problem surfaces.  After a hard reset and reconfiguration of the zones in the Device Settings navigation; one cannot goto the Mode, select the respective Zones to monitor and Save.

Plz disregard, problem solved through hard reboot > deleting existing zones and reconfiguring new zones through "Mode" function

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

Did you do a hard reboot of the camera or the hub to get your zones to work properly again? I have been deleting and recreating my zones and the cameras are still being triggered by movement outside the zones (yes, even after selecting only the zones in the mode setting). Thanks.

BigBrainsOnBrad
Aspirant
Aspirant

thx devotchko, 

shortly following the post, I did a hard reboot and deletion of zones.  with a little massaging, it was able to re-establish the zones.  thx for the follow

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

you did a hard reboot of the hub, or the camera, or both? That's what I'm trying to find out. As of this morning I rebooted the hub through the website app, recreated zones and they are still being ignored.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If by "hub" you mean the base station, note that this is the Q camera section so no base is involved.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

I don't understand what you mean. I thought the Arlo Q does need to be paired with the hub. Are you saying the hub is not involved at all in handling this camera???

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q needs only to connect to your WiFi so if by "hub" you mean your router, then you would be correct. Otherwise, it doesn't need a base station that the wireless battery-operated cameras require.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

Got it. I wasn't aware of this. I guess I'll keep trying to remove the camera and to re-pair and then recreate the zones to see if they start working, which I have done already, but have no other option to try and make them work again. Thanks.

phaedrus2k
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue seen here in UK.
ALRO Q setup underneath eves of house and now cannot modify detection zones at all. I get an operation error. See screenshot.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

phaedrus2k,

Try deleting all of your motion zones, save, then recreate. Do you still see the same error?

JamesC

faith_walker4
Aspirant
Aspirant
I too am facing the same issue. Cannot create zones at all right now.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just tried it here and it's working fine. Maybe restart the camera?

mle425
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got my a month ago and have been in contact with tech. I been having the same problem. They make it sound like it's just me having the the problem but finding out now it's a lot who having this problem. How can they release The Arlo Pro 2 when The Q can't be fix?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mle425,

Can you give us more details about what you are experiencing? Are you seeing any error messages? What are you attempting to do when you experience the issue?

JamesC

mle425
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem as everyone else on this message. After creating motion detection zone. Getting notifactions outside of the zone.Have done delete and re-create zone and still getting same problem. Not getting no error message. Act like it work but always getting notifactions outside of the zone. Have a support case on this problem for the past 3 weeks or so. Tech support act like this is a new problem. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mle425,

Have you edited your rule to select which zones you want to detect motion? After creating motion detection zones in the Settings area for Arlo Q, you must edit your rules to define which zones you want to detect motion.

To do this, navigate to Mode > select your Arlo Q > edit the desired mode > edit the desired rule > edit "motion detected" and check off the desired zones where you want motion to trigger.

Be sure to save when finished.

JamesC