Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlodog6578
Star
Star
  1.  Today I’ve noticed when I go to my Arlo Q library the clips show at the right length. 20 seconds, 15 seconds they show the right length in the library. When I open up the Clips to view the clip it says that the clip is one hour and 46 minutes long. When you play back the clip it only has the correct amount of time 20 or whatever length and may be in the library view. After the action finishe the image freezes and the video keeps playing.  This has started today and it happens with every single clip.  The cameras also failed to pick up some events today. Not sure if that’s related or not. Is anyone else having an issue?  I’ve got the latest iOS update.
267 REPLIES 267
redking79
Star
Star

Thanks for sharing @Mack1359

Your post is a perfect example of the incompetence of Netgear.  People have been saying for WEEKS this is a server side issue completely unrelated with the camera.  It should've been an easy fix, but instead hours were wasted asking people to reset their cameras or redownload the Arlo app.

ArloJesse
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, ZZZZGuide, I am also locked out of my account and have been all day and night. I"m using Chrome on my PC and I've never had problems with logging in until now.  Although I have had problems with the recording errors for the last 3 weeks.  Instead of fixing all these problems, Netgear seems to be getting worse with each passing week.

ArloJesse
Apprentice
Apprentice

I cannot log in to my Arlo account for the 2nd day in a row.  First, the problems with the wrong recording time and, now, unable to log in. Things just keep getting worse after 3.5 weeks of camera problems.  Where are your computer techs, Netgear???

ArloJesse
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have had enough of Netgear's incompetence as well, RedKing. 3.5 weeks of camera malfunctions and now I cannot even access the Arlo Login Page to see if my cameras are recording or not.  I am going to Netgear's page on Amazon and leaving a review of my 2 Arlo Q cameras. The public should know about all the problems with these cameras and how long it is taking to fix them (if they are even fixed?). 

Mack1359
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think its clear at this stage that Arlo either doesn't care or are just not competent. I just hope nobody suffers a serious crime or property loss while they think they're protected by the security system they thought was protecting their home or loved ones. Such a shame as in theory these were good products but their engineering department seem to have pushed an update weeks ago that broke things and they're not capable of turning around a quick fix.  

NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
Netgear have just proved that their Arlo system CANNOT now be taken seriously as a CCTV system that can be relied upon.

It has one major floor in that it is totally reliant on Netgear and their servers and system working properly.

I now wish I had invested in a standalone product that just works as is without the need for any external service or servers functioning. It's a totally floored system and makes it useless if Nergear doesn't keep its services running. I can only hope they don't shut the service down which wouldn't surprise me in a few years if they lose customers and people no longer buy it, then how screwed we would all be.

We have paid hundred and hundreds of £s, €s, $s and in some cases thousands so you would expect if there was a problem (which in all fairness people sometimes do make mistakes or coding is done incorrectly) it is dealt with swiftly and professionally.

People rely on these services and in some cases it is there only way of protecting properties many miles away from their location, so they should work and if they do malfunction they are sorted very quickly.

I just hope the Netgear servers haven't been compromised and who know who could actually have full access to our stored videos or even live cameras?! Now there is a worrying thought!!
simpsonhomer
Star
Star

I, too, am unable to bring up the Arlo login page on some browsers depending on the network (e.g., I have lots of problems on my office network).  I did find that this odd workaround works, though:

1. Go to http://netgear.com (note that it's http, not https)
  2. Click on "ARLO" (upper-left)
  3. Click on "My Arlo" (upper-right).  Don't worry, at this point it'll take you to https (secure).

Basically, you're stepping through Netgear's site and letting it establish the secure connection at the end instead of initiating it yourself by going straight to the Arlo login page.

I also found that sometimes that won't work, either, and I'll have to clear my browser cache, restart the browser, and go through the above steps.  It works fine on my computers at home (and the app), though.

WMJIII
Star
Star
OMG ... now Arlo Q with a 1:30 fixed length recording on motion is only recording the first 15 seconds and then for 1:15 shows the same image with no motion! So a loss of recoding for 1:15!!! How poor!
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m having this issue to. Most of my videos won’t play properly.

What a surprise, Netgear fixes an issue with a firmware update and created another one

I’m fed up with this system. I wish I’d bought nest cam
hobgoblin2001
Guide
Guide
My guess is some exec wanting his perf bonus pressurised head of tech to “just get it sorted” He is underresourced and has 3rd rate techs becos’ exec wants to maintain Ebitda at bonus trigger point. Result? The MOAFU s we see before us. Exec will be in place next year but head of tech won’t be to show CEO ‘& stakeholders “remedial steps have been taken”.
azncracker
Initiate
Initiate

I just installed this and right away saw problems. This issue with the incorrect length and the clip stop recording even when there is motion. I am not happy.

Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
Get used to it. Netgear is consistently ruining their products with bad software. Arlo has been crippled by bugs for over 6 months now. If you still have the chance return your products and get a refund.
MarkPaulG
Guide
Guide

Same issues here.  Freezing, sound quits, and sometimes videos show lengths of hours and not the 2min I set.

What is up with Netgear?  This is a disgrace.

MarkPaulG
Guide
Guide

Wow I see in this thread they are expecting a possible fix in April... making it 6 WHOLE WEEKS of a downed product?  

Uhhh... Arlo may want to invest in some better engineers.  

Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
Netgear. Please can we all have our money back for your poor standard products?
redking79
Star
Star

Use your credit card to file a dispute with the retailer and get your money back for your Arlo product.

The Arlo Q is defective so your credit card company should support your claim.

cccoltsicehocke
Initiate
Initiate

That is a great idea on trying to file a claim with the credit card company.  I may just do that.  I bought three Arlo Q cameras through Amazon last spring and this is just ridiculous what they have done to them.  At first it was a great product and did everything I wanted from it.  I have never seen a product go backwards so much after release as this has.  To think I was hoping this year to add several more cameras to my system.  Very glad I did not do that yet.  

I guess trying to figure out how to put a hardwire system in my house like I should have to start with is where I will be headed.  

yanquiuxo
Tutor
Tutor
Well, the retailer I bought my Arlo Q from covered the camera under its 1 year manufacturers warranty (I bought it a little under a year ago) for a full refund today. Exchanged it for a Nest indoor cam which is already a world’s better experience in that the app actually WORKS.

GOODBYE NETGEAR ARLO! You will not be missed. The sad thing is Netgear lost a loyal customer (and probably many others based on this thread) but it just seems like they don’t care at all. I switched all my home networking products from Netgear to Linksys last year due to a similar experience with their nighthawk routers. I doubt I’ll ever buy anything Netgear branded again.
Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice

This recording debacle is being discussed on the Arlo Pro-2 forum as well, but not to the extent it's been discussed here. I have posted a link on the Pro-2 thread to this Arlo-Q thread to help spread the word concerning this fiasco!

The Arlo-2 thread:

Ridiculously Wrong Video Time Lengths

I dropped close to $1500 on Amazon for the Pro-2 cams (5 of them) plus a lot of accessories only 10 weeks ago. Went to a lot of work to USB power 3 of the outdoor Pro-2 cams as well. Although I have as yet refrained from leaving a product review on Amazon, if this fiasco isn't fixed in a timely manor I will in fact leave a one star revue on Amazon informing potential buyers of Netgear's lack of customer care and warning them to stay away from this product. At this point I'm feeling somewhat ripped off. Not giving the highest priority to remedy a serious issue affecting what I consider to be a video camera surveillance system used for security puposes is unconscionable.

MarkPaulG
Guide
Guide

The fact they haven't issued a user-wide email alerting everyone of the problem and expected fix shows they aren't an honest company.  Imagine the countless people that think their camera is working perfectly and relying on the recordings to secure their property and family.

Disgusting.

blevins29
Guide
Guide

This problem has been going on for over a month now. I bragged about how pleased I was with the Arlo Q to the person that bought it as a Christmas gift in January. But since mid-February it has had numerous issues involving video length, no sound, etc. It may work properly on 1 video out of 8 daily. The other 7 are useless. A tech company should be able to fix these issues. I think I've spent more time reseting, redownloading, etc. than they have working to fix it. The lack of info from them is totally unacceptable!

YYZ-Arlo
Star
Star

@Wirelezzwrote:

I dropped close to $1500 on Amazon for the Pro-2 cams (5 of them) plus a lot of accessories only 10 weeks ago. Went to a lot of work to USB power 3 of the outdoor Pro-2 cams as well. 

Just wait... the smallest amount of water that gets on the housing will wick into the USB connector and it will corrode and fail.  The Pro and Pro 2 are not designed properly to be hardwired outside; with the camera pointing down (as most are), the connector is exposed.

ArloJesse
Apprentice
Apprentice

YYZ, Thanks for letting us know that.  I had considered going from the Arlo Q to the Pro 2 cameras. But after reading what you wrote and, in addition, to all the problems with Netgear, I won't.  I'll wait to find another brand that is more reliable.

Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice

@YYZ-Arlowrote:

Just wait... the smallest amount of water that gets on the housing will wick into the USB connector and it will corrode and fail.  The Pro and Pro 2 are not designed properly to be hardwired outside; with the camera pointing down (as most are), the connector is exposed.

I'm aware of that, and that's why I'm using the Wasserstein Weatherproof 16ft Cable on the outdoor cameras. It has the same 90° plug that the Arlo solar charger has which seals the USB port on the Pro-2 cams. 

Direct quote from Wasserstein:

"The micro-USB head is made of soft PVC material that expands slightly when inserted into the camera opening, thereby effectively sealing it from moisture. Additionally, the micro-USB head features small ripples that guarantee that no water can enter."  

YYZ-Arlo
Star
Star

@Wirelezzwrote:

I'm aware of that, and that's why I'm using the Wasserstein Weatherproof 16ft Cable on the outdoor cameras. It has the same 90° plug that the Arlo solar charger has which seals the USB port on the Pro-2 cams. 

Direct quote from Wasserstein:

"The micro-USB head is made of soft PVC material that expands slightly when inserted into the camera opening, thereby effectively sealing it from moisture. Additionally, the micro-USB head features small ripples that guarantee that no water can enter."  

Yes, I've tried the Wasserstein cable, it doesn't work to keep water out.  Waste of $20.

Hopefully you have better luck than I have.  I'm on my 3rd camera; 2 Pro and now a Pro 2.  Camera is not directly in the path of precipitation (sheltered under a ledge) but does occasionally get damp.

For what I've spent on cameras I could have cut drywall and run Cat-5 and had a proper system that works.  All the comments about the app getting worse, the recording length problems, etc... all true.  Add to that the issues with the Pro making odd ticking noises when recording audio and Netgear not acknowledging the problem - nice.

On top of all the issues, the idea of a wireless camera is a joke because when the batteries die you have to get up on a ladder to change/charge the battery, then you have to reposition it afterward.  Wish I'd thought of that before purchasing.

The only good thing about Arlo/Netgear is that they give you free recording for up to 5 cameras.  Not so useful when the recordings don't work though.

I hope someone reads this and saves their money.