Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
James25
Initiate
Initiate

Hi, I bought an Arlo Q and have it set up around 5 meters from my router, yet it flashes purple and varies between 1 amber bar and 2 bars wifi strength on the app.

I live in a small apartment with thin walls (plasterboard, not brick) & all of my other devices (iPhones, iMac etc.) have full bars anywhere inside. 

I have tried a different router & a wifi extender. The extender only takes the camera up to full bars if it is literally sat directly next to the camera. Even 1 meter away and it drops down to 2 bars.

I thought the camera was faulty so ordered a replacement. This gave 3 bars straight away with no wifi-extender. Then I upgraded the firmware and it went back to 1-2 bars & flashing purple.

I don't want to use a wifi extender when there is actually nothing wrong with my wifi and I know there is no difference with another router. 

I guess the firmware is causing the issue but I would appreciate some advice before I send the camera back and get one from another manufacturer. 

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have u tried a reset on the Q yet ?  ( hold in reset for ten secs till the led flashes amber, resync )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
James25
Initiate
Initiate

Hi TomMac, thanks for the message.

I have tried:

• Restart camera
  • Re-sync camera
  • Remove / re-add camera
  • Restart router
  • Change wifi channels on router
  • Wifi extender at various locations
  • Replacement camera
  • Different router (both at 2.4ghz & 5ghz)

Pretty sure the only thing to conclude is that the firmware is causing an issue or the camera is totally inadequate for picking up wifi signals. Would be interested to try anything else before giving up on it though.

Many thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I think you have try all I could recommend and then some.... Don't have an answer.

To be honest, it may just be a strange issue beyond normal settings....  I have my Q sitting about 5 m away from my router and have no issue and full signal for over a year + ( running on the 5 ghz side )

Morse is faster than texting!