Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Kris10_elizabet
Tutor
Tutor
I set up the camera using my iPhone. I then went through the steps to add my husband as a friend so he can view the camera also. Problem is that it seems that when I am viewing the camera, he cannot view it at the same time. It will kick me out and he will get an error message. How do we correct this so we can both view the camera to check on things while we are at work?
33 REPLIES 33
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yes.muse Settings, Grant Access to a second email address. Follow the directions and both can check things simultaneously.
Kris10_elizabet
Tutor
Tutor
I have already done that. The second email address HAS been granted access. He can log in to view the camera, it's just that we cannot both view at the same time. If I am logged in on my phone, when he tries to log in, it will time-out the request. He can only access it when I am not in it.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kris10_elizabet,

What error message is he getting? Can you post a screenshot of the error?

JamesC

Slagish
Star
Star
I think she's referring to simultaneous watching a live feed on the same camera. I've tried and it's not possible it seems. I'm curious to know if the camera connects to Arlo's server then shows the live feed, cause if that's the case then there shouldn't be any reasons to not be able to watch that same live feed at the same time.
RickandLisa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why can my Husband and I not view our cameras online at the same time?  It kicks one of us off when the other logs on.  That is not helpful.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted many times here, that's by design.  Use the account to go to Settings, Grant Access and send an invite to a second email address. Select the cameras you want to share and add privileges as needed. When the invite email directions are completed, both can log in at the same time.  The guest account doesn't have quite the same access as the master account but for most things it's fine.

Myko808
Tutor
Tutor
As noted many times, she has already done that. Ias well, and I too have the same problem. Perhaps you have another (different) solution?
I would like to be able to view simultaneously on my multiple devices that carry the same address.
Thx, & Aloha
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'll resist the temptation to say, "As noted many times".  🙂

There is NO other option.  If you use the same master login information, the second person to connect will kick off the first person.  Use of the guest account does not cause this since you're using a second account.

delphinus1966
Tutor
Tutor

Ok, so it seems that Super user is a misnomer. I am having the same issue. I am the master account holder. I have given/shared the access with another user. I am having nothing but problems viewing the camera if they are logged in. I get an error that the "camera failed to connect. Try again" Capture.PNG

The only way I have found to get around this is to change the video resolution, which I am guessing that it resets the camera and bumps the other user off and then I am able to connect. When they are not logged in (using their unique email) I have no issues accessing the cmaera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Superuser is a title the board gives me. However, even if I were perfect, I couldn't have answered your question since you didn't tell us exactly what was happening. There's a huge​difference between using a guest account so everyone can log in at the same time and what you finally described, having issues with both people already having logged in.

My guess here is that you're both trying to access the same camera at the same time, I.e. both trying to live view. That ain't gonna work. Give us ALL the details and maybe a solution is to be found.
Myko808
Tutor
Tutor

OK, so lets try this again... I have several devices, phone, ipad, labtop... I would like to be able to view the same camera at the same time from all (or at least two) of these devices.  Am I to sign in as a guest from device #2 and device #3?  As the same guest or different guest? Please clarify for me, I am not a high tech guy although I do understand  basics and perhaps a little more.

Arlo advertises as being user friendly and really for the most part I think it does a good job although in this area it seams to fall short. If it is possible I would love for Arlo to work on a new program that addresses this, it seems that others are having the same issue.

Thanks, Aloha 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Two people can be logged in at the same time using different credentials and can view the library, etc. with no issue.  What you CAN'T do is to both live view at the same time - the first person has control and the second has to wait. There's no way around it.

Myko808
Tutor
Tutor

Hey, finally a straight honest answer.  Thank you!  I can work with it, it's ok, not perfect but I can work with it.  And now I no longer have to WASTE TIME trying to figure out a way to make it work, and create FRUSTRATION.  I can just accept it and work with it.

So again, thank you for the honest and straight answer.  Please continue with this wonderful and efficient superuser trend!    😉

Aloha no kako

delphinus1966
Tutor
Tutor

It would be great if Arlo support would comment on this issue. I just got off the phone with them and according to Arlo support this should not happen. The have escalated it to the next level which I should hear from in a couple of days.

The sharing of the camera would be mostly unless if you cannot have more than a single person watch the feed at the same time. It is this exact reason that i used Nest cameras at home (even though I prefer Arlo for their ease of use and recording access basic at no charge) I have to be able to access my camera if my wife is also watching.

I use the arlo for a testing environment and there is usually an exam proctor and myself that would need to have access to the video feed. Luck would have it I accidentally figured a way around the issue. If you change the video resolution it will boot the current person watching the video feed and once the camera adjusts you can then veiw the feed without an issue with the additional account. Keep in mind if you do this you kick off the first watcher and they will not be able to access the feed until you release the feed.

Why the super user stated that 2 or more persons watching the feed at the same time on different accounts is not possible I am not sure. There is nothing in the documentation that states this and support also did not state that 2 people watching a feed simultaneously is not possible. They moved me to tier two to attempt to correct this issue.  Capture.PNG

If this was something that was not intended to be supported I would think they would put that information in the sharing section of the manual, which it is not as you can see from the clip from the manual.

If support is able to correct this issue I will follow up.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can't live view with 2 accounts at the same time since the first has control over the cameras. The stream goes to one display - it's not a multicast. The use of a guest account is to be able to do everything else without kicking the other person off. It's not the same things as the master account which can be a plus or a minus.
delphinus1966
Tutor
Tutor

That answer makes since, thank you. Unfortunately, I am not sure that is the case. I have 4 Nest cams at my home and I can watch any of the 4 at the same time that my wife access the same camera on the shared account. While I know Arlo is not Nest, there is really no reason that two accounts cannot access the system at the same time. It severely reduces the functionality of the system if you cannot. Also, as the master account I should then be able to override the shared account so I can access the camera rather than getting a message with a cannot connect error. 

If you read my previous post you will notice that support acknowledge that this was not normal activity and have moved the ticket to tier two for additional investigation. I am sure that they would have just told me that 2 accounts cannot view the feed at the same time if that is the case. I have never used a camera system that will not allow two accounts to view the feed simultaneously. If that is really the case I am really glad I only invested in one Arlo camera. I currently have Kuna, Nest, and a Skybell HD at my home. Furthermore, I have used several IP cameras over the years as well as the Logitech Alert system (my personal favorite, wish they did not discontinue it) and all of the systems allow two people to view the feed at simultaneously. 

I am hoping that Arlo support can answer solve the issue, but if not then luckly for us there are other choices out there.

TedG
Tutor
Tutor

"You can't live view with 2 accounts at the same time since the first has control over the cameras."

jguerdat, can you tell us where this is documented by NETGEAR?  I haven't been able to find anything in the User Manual or elsewhere to back up your statement.

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I don't think it is documented. You can test it for yourself.
TedG
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat we must not be talking about the same thing.  At NETGEAR Support's urging I retested it & am currently viewing the Life stream on 3 devices simultaneously.  (A PC, an iPhone & an iPod Touch.)  The mistake I made in my earlier testing was that I had used the same account (email & password) to log in to the Arlo app/site on two different devices.  When you do that & log in to the 2nd device it disconnects the first device's connection.

But having 3 different accounts seems to be working as desired.  I have to compliment NETGEAR Support for their assistance as I worked through the problem.  The mistake was mine.

Good luck.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for the clarification and the confirmation that live view can be used on multiple devices at the same time when using guest accounts.

Steveo4caddy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Jguerdat- curious for an answer to my dilemma. I purchased the regular arlo cameras and was able to live feed off both my phone and my lady's phone. I didn't realize at the time of purchase that the arlo pro existed, so purchased the pro and returned the regular arlo. I set up a guest account for my lady and it does the same thing everyone above is complaining of- we cannot both be logged in at the same time, otherwise it makes one of us sign back in. It worked fine on the regular arlo cameras! Feedback please?
Steveo4caddy
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's just crazy that there is NOTHING on the internet explaining this- it makes no sense it worked on the regular arlo camera system but not on the pro.
delphinus1966
Tutor
Tutor

Hey Steve, I wish I could give you good news and let you know that they have fixed this issue, but nope. I have been working with tech support for weeks and I have finally given up. I use the camera at a school testing room to montor the test takers and I have a proctor account and my main account. I have not been able to have both accounts viewing at the same time since I purchased the camera. We can both login, but once one of the accounts grabs the feed the other account cannot view the stream (usually getting a cannot connect error). As the director I only need access once in a while and I was able to figure out a way to get access if the proctor is logged in and viewing the feed. Since I have the main account I go to settings and change the resolution of the camera. The system, to make this adjustment, has to boot the other account off the feed and that allows me to access the feed. Once I have checked the room status I then log out and the proctor can again view the feed.

Hope this helps and maybe someday Netgear will correct the issue. Also, not to be rude but if you review this discussion you will realize that the person you originally addressed your question to has no clue on this situation and has given incorrect information even when told that the information they were giving out was not accurate.

Good luck!

Steveo4caddy
Aspirant
Aspirant
I kept clicking on add comment on his feed and it didn't look like it was directed towards him, but thank you for telling me. I read all of his responses, he is rude. We arlo customers are not out on threads to get rude answers. As far as your situation lol- let your stundents cheat here and there lol! We all did it lol! Anyhow, I don't think we are having the same exact problems with the cameras, but I did find out how to only let one camera detect motion if you are interested- it took me forever to find out how- there is no support online. Thank you for responding to my misplaced comment though lol