Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
bobgraphics
Tutor
Tutor

Just bought a new Arlo Q, which seems to have a lot of issues.

1. Software app.  No matter what I set the video clip length to (up to 120 seconds), either from the Arlo PC website or from my Android phone, it reverts to 16 seconds.  Also, the video settings randomly revert back to 720dpi, and randomly turn on Audio functions, which I have turned off.

2.  Hardware.  I am constantly being nagged to update the firmware, which seems like it loads, but then the nagging starts all over again.  Been going on since I bought the unit 5 days ago.

3. WIFI.  Randomly drops connection and has to be put through the setup process (QR code and all) each time I re-connect.

WIFI connection shows full bars, 5G, and the unit is abought 10 ft away from the router in line of sight.  I have a Lorex Secure camera 50 ft away which never loses connection or has any issues at all.  I bought the Arlo Q,  based on internet reviews.  Was it a mistake? I am returning this unit back to Amazon for a replacement exchange, in the hopes that this unit is just a lemon.

BTW, chat support doesn't work, phone support (you are number 22 in the que!), email support?  Can't find it.  Web site app nags that it needs a new version of flash? (Still using Flash?  Really?)  Have to log in twice to see my device  every time, to allow whatever Flash component the Arlo site is crying for.

Thanks,

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bobgraphics
Tutor
Tutor

Today, my Arlo Q has magically started recording motion detections beyond 16 seconds, to the length of the actual motion.

So, as long as this keeps working......I can say everything is now working as advertised. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Re #1

make sure you are saving the settings for the mode after changing the time lenght

Re #2

try a full reset.. hasn't beeb many FW updates on the Q cams... pretty stable

Re #3

Not normal... try a reset on the Q cam and reset up... ( don't think mine has dropped out more than 2x in 3 yrs )

The Q will work on 5 or 2.4 ghz, so if able try and turn off  the 5ghz side at a time and see if it makes a diff.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
bobgraphics
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

1. "Save" was done each time I tried to set the time length.  The camera disregards the setting and only records in 16 second bursts.  Re-open the app, and the setting is back to default.  Tried this several times, and it is repeatable.

2. Tried the full reset 3 times, along with spending hours trying all of the other suggestions on the internet for this problem.

3. Unable to "turn Off" 5G.  My signal strength couldn't be higher (see attachment).  Besides, all of my other home control devices are on 5G, and I don't want to dumb down my WIFI system just for one unruly device.  Hopefully when my replacement unit comes in from Amazon, these issues will abate.

bobgraphics
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback.   Good info.

After installing 4 Arlo Por 2's for my daughter, which worked perfect, I figured I'd get this Arlo Q for myself for inside my house.  Should be low risk, right?  Same brand.  This thing doesn't seem to have as good of quality as it's big brother.

And you are right about the support.  There basically is none that you can reach.  Very disappointing.  The App software seems very buggy.  I was considering the upgraded subscription, but not now.  Not till I get working reliably.

bobgraphics
Tutor
Tutor

I received my new replacement camera, and it went through setup without issue.  It immediately updated the firmware to 1.8.3.2_17494, and hasn't nagged since.  Everything seems to be working good with this new camera, except I am still stuck with 16 second video clips, even though I have the video clip length saved at 120 seconds.  Maybe I am missing something, I don't now.  If I could only get that to work, I'd be satisfied with this camera.

Nethalite
Apprentice
Apprentice
If they don't fix it you might as well return it before the product purchase warranty expires and get your money back. Otherwise like many of us that still has this 16 seconds or so short recordings are stuck with it since we can't return it.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Its more like netgear is missing something. Good firmware. There are so many bugs now id be happy if theyd just fix one of them.
bobgraphics
Tutor
Tutor

Today, my Arlo Q has magically started recording motion detections beyond 16 seconds, to the length of the actual motion.

So, as long as this keeps working......I can say everything is now working as advertised. 

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Dont get too excited. These issues for me anyway seem to come and go. Glad its working for you but i dont think we are out of the woods yet