Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
c0mm0
Guide
Guide

Please make it so infrared lights are only on when camera is in armed state or continuous viewing.
I have to manually turn night vision on or off now to keep them off when in disarmed state.
Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may not understand how Q is operating.  It is ALWAYS on which not only gets you the pre-buffering for what happens a few seconds before motion is detected but also enables CVR.  It's a 24/7 stream regardless of how you try to use it.  The IR illuminators come on in low light because it's trying to enable it to see what's going on for said pre-buffering and CVR.  As you say, the only way around it is to disable night vision but then you need some other light source to pick up the slack.  Perhaps an option could be added to the firmware to allow scheduling illumination but that adds other complexities (how do you schedule night vision without affecting regular scheduling?).

c0mm0
Guide
Guide

If the camera is in disarmed mode, there is no need for pre buffering or illumination

ValleNorte
Guide
Guide

I agree with original poster. If the camera is in disarmed mode why have the IR leds illuminated?

cherry-pie
Star
Star

I also, agree and noticed this issue as well. I had disarmed Arlo Q and glanced at the camera an hour later and noticed the red infrared lights were on. At first, i thought maybe the camera was still on even though i disarmed it. But now my susupicion is confirmed that its just the infrared lights that stay on.

The truth is that if the camera is disarmed, all features inluding the infrared lights should be off/disarmed as well. When the camera is armed it should be in effect. This signifies a bug that needs fixing. There is no need for the infrared lights if the camera is disarmed and not in running/recording mode.

My feedback is for the Dev team at arlo to implement a fix for this = Have the infrared lights off when cam is disarmed.

Thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Due to the CVR capability of the Arlo Q, this is expected behavior for the IR LEDs. I understand the desire for more user control over when these LEDs remain on and encourage you to visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and post this idea there.

Thank you for your contribution,

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In addition, you can turn off night vision to accomplish this.  Not the best choice for many situations but will turn off the LEDs completely.

c0mm0
Guide
Guide
Yes I posted that in my initial post