Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR

The Arlo Community

Learn, explore, ask questions, and connect with our community of customers and experts.

Discussion stats
Top Contributors
Caught on Arlo Video Contest
Share Video

Share Your Video!
Caught something cool on Arlo? Share it with the Arlo Community.

Post a video
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Microsoft Edge not playing recordings

I believe that those good souls who have been in the hardware and software business since the day they were born are really missing the point. This is a buggy system that Arlo have provided. It is not robust. Any changes impacting its web based/server environment introduced either internally or by external players seem to generate unintended and harmful consequences which take forever to fix. The system is not “flexible” enough to adjust. I am not an IT professional, I am a retired Project Manager. Part of my job was to plan for the unexpected and make sure that the systems we had in place were flexible enough to cope with change.

I think what irritates customers the most is a lack of quality communication. Customer concerns just disappear into a black hole for long periods of time and we have no idea what exactly is being done to address them and when to expect an outcome. The last communication on the Edge browser problem was from Dawn M, The Community Manager, on 17th September 2018.

Perhaps we could introduce a Category into the COMMUNITY “Browse by Topic” called “Known Issues” where Arlo support lists any known issues with Arlo products, details them, provides and continuously updates a timeline for a fix and perhaps recommends any workaround. This would be much easier for customers than having to churn through the various Community Forums seeking relevant information. It would also cut down on people impatiently prompting for a response and a lot of the extra ranting that goes on in the forum out of frustration.

Message 76 of 108
Aspirant

arlo pro 2Re: Arlo Q Videos In Library won't load for viewing in Internet 11, Windows 10

trying to view videos screen goes black and says looding

Message 77 of 108

Re: arlo pro 2Re: Arlo Q Videos In Library won't load for viewing in Internet 11, Windows 10

Kinda what this thread is about. Options are grab the share URL and paste it into the address bar, or install a different browser. (Or use iOS or Android, i.e. a phone) Pointing it out or complaining hasn't seemed to help. Neargear/Arlo is aware of the issue.
Message 78 of 108

Re: arlo pro 2Re: Arlo Q Videos In Library won't load for viewing in Internet 11, Windows 10

So I am also using MSIE 11 and haven't been able to use it to look at video for over two month.  Are you freaking kidding me that it has taken this long for NetGear to find a solution and get it out to the public??  WTF!!!

Message 79 of 108
Aspirant

Netgear should talk with Apple. I have no problem viewing video on my IPAD. However, my PC is a different different story. In the digital world, 2 months is a lifetime. Netgear needs better customer service, or better IT engineers to isolate the issue and fix it. I like my ARLO 2 cameras. It has already paid for itself, as I've already caught two people stealing my neighbors mail. Police are actively involved, along with the Postal Inspector. I can also view ARLO video on my Android phone. What do they know that Netgear doesn't.
Message 80 of 108
Aspirant

Re: Arlo Q Videos In Library won't load for viewing in Internet 11, Windows 10

I have the Pro 2 Arlo cameras and I can't play library videos on MS Edge.  This is just ridiculous.  I have been researching for days now.  Is there no fix to this yet?  What is going on here?

Message 81 of 108

Sorry DawnM but you do not have an Engeneering Team because if you had one this problem would have been fixed in 24 hours or less.  Everyone cancel all accounts that require extra money to ARLO immediately, contact Costco/Best Buy and tell them of these known issues and leave a review on their order site.  Let the world know that ARLO does not care about their current or future customers.  The proof is staring you in the face DawnM.

Message 82 of 108
Initiate

When do you plan on letting us (your customers you know the people that provide your pay check) know what is going on? I don't feel that a update once a week is that much to ask.

If it's not to much trouble could you let us know when you plan on releasing that update that you have been testing for the past month? I would think by now you would know if it's going to work or not.

Just let us know what is happening unless your just trying to piss off your customers.

Message 83 of 108

The sad part is that this is not an update to an app that needs to be developed, tested, packaged and distributed to assorted app stores. This is a change to a web site. That's all backend and in-house. I'm not a web developer, but do dabble in code. It cannot be that hard to re-implement a function that used to work fine, and still does under numerous other browsers. You are launching a video from a thumbnail. This is not unique, nor should it be rocket science. Spawn a new tab if you have to, with the share link (which works), but give me back the ability to play videos out of my library without inconvenient workarounds, or installing new browsers.

Message 84 of 108

WTF!! I just downloaded the latest update thinking it would resolve some kmown issues and instead they changed things to make navigating much harder! Why would you take away the record button and the Library button away from the main screen. Now you have to go into the play mode in order to get to those buttons. Really Netgear?
Message 85 of 108
Mentor

More features broken in edge after update

I have not updated the android app yet because I hear it's a disater, but I did log into the website with Edge today and it appears Arlo has updated the website as well. And now you cannot edit a mode when using Edge. The arrow that you used to click is missing and clicking in that area only chnages the mode, it does not edit it.

Trying the same thing in chrome, the arrows are missing as well, but guessing where the arrow should be and clicking in that area does allow you to actually edit the mode.

Sigh......... another update, more new problems, and NONE of the current issues fixed. I'd hate to switch to another system because Arlo has the best smartthings integration, but I might have to start thinking about trading some functionality for a working system.

Message 86 of 108
Luminary

Re: More features broken in edge after update

Yup I just posted the same thing before reading your post as I have the same problem.

As for the Android app I dont think its all that bad just have to get use to it, I put the new app on my Anroid tablet just to test it out and as said just need to get use to it. I didnt put it on our Android phones yet but will later today.

Message 87 of 108
Luminary

Yep. On the web GUI the mode icons are missing and clicking on them (you can see a very faint outline of the click area) works but it's really sad that something as simple as this was missed. Regarding the Android app, stopping live view is not totally intuitive, since for me it takes two taps to bring up the stop icon. Also full frame is hard to get out of. You need to stop the live view.The taps to bring up the stop button in full frame occasionally do other things. It is a matter of getting used to it, but surprised that this shows up without any preamble to the changes. More taps to see wifi conncention and battery is alright I guess, but why?

Message 88 of 108
Apprentice

Yup. I’m not going to add anything Arlo related to my now broken system is nail they roll back to the previous app version.
Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 89 of 108
Guru

Edge has been causing an issue for a month or so now... recommend Fire Fox ( as chrome has new issues now too )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Message 90 of 108
brh Master
Master

@pc2k17

Mine works well on Chrome and Firefox. Arrows are there in Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, (although Library videos never load in IE). Edge is the worst - no arrows and Library videos never load. 

No pixellation.

What are your internet up and down speeds?

Southern Brian

Message 91 of 108
Mentor

@TomMac wrote:

Edge has been causing an issue for a month or so now... recommend Fire Fox ( as chrome has new issues now too )

Firefox, no thanks. They worked or still work with a company that decides what you can and can't get displayed in your browser, in other words censorship.

I recommend Arlo code there website correctly. Flash has secuity issues and MS closed a hole for embedded flash videos. Google and FF still allow this, which is why the arlo sites still works in those browsers. This opens chrome and FF users to potential flash security issues.

Bandaids do no good when it comes to security. If a website still uses flash, users shouldn't have to allow flash to run in a unsecure manner in any browser, just to use the website. The website should be fixed.

Message 92 of 108
Mentor

@brh wrote:

@pc2k17

Mine works well on Chrome and Firefox. Arrows are there in Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, (although Library videos never load in IE). Edge is the worst - no arrows and Library videos never load. 

No pixellation.

What are your internet up and down speeds?

Southern Brian

Others have reported the same issues, so it's probably a data center, loction thing. Depending on your location and the data center your connecting to some probably see these issues while others don't. No arrows for me on multiple computers, with different videos cards, on edge and chrome, and only chrome allows the edit. Either way, it's another issue to add to the list.

Has nothing to do with internet speeds. I'm 25Mb down, 3Mb up. It's a coding or backend issue with the website.

Message 93 of 108
brh Master
Master

@pc2k17

Agree with your assessment. I have found that pixellation and slow videos or Live view directly related to two things:

1) Location or problems between your home and the servers. For example: also being a Smartthings user, notice that sometimes notifications are instantaneous and sometimes delayed, especially when there is a storm between your home and the servers.

2) Internet download and especially upload speeds. I take my home security very seriously after my home was burglarized. I am now on the Spectrum Ultra plan, (400 mbs down and 24 up). I rarely have any problems with my system which is why I asked. 

Agrre about Arlo getting rid of Flash, which they have indicated they are working on it. I don't use Firefox any more but for my purposes although I would prefer to use MS Edge for security reasons, Chrome is what I use the most.

Southern Brian

Message 94 of 108
Luminary

My UI on Chrome is now back to normal, after being affected with missing icons by change .

Message 95 of 108
Mentor

@brh

Ya my speeds are pretty slow compared to others, but the 100Mb down and I think 20Mb up is more than I'm willing to spend. Hopefully once Spectrum leaves our state, they got kicked out of the state for not living up to their end of the contract they agreeded to, we'll get some better speeds for a decent price.

But that said, I never had any issues with pixelation except on the trial firmware, the one they switched us back to again. After I submitted my bug report and smaple videos arlo agreed there was an issue and fixed it in firmware 26520 (current production firmware) and all was well again. Then we get rolled back and now the issue is back. Definetly the 25837 firmware.

My arrows are now back in chrome as well, can't check edge I'm on a win7 computer now. Maybe it was a replication issue. Hopefully I can edit modes in edge again when I test later.

Message 96 of 108
Mentor

also @brh

Looks like they closed the thread for replies in the beta community so I couldn't reply.......... no worries man, I'm just a bit cranky seeing as how the beta seems to be just as bad with communication as the production world. Very frustrating.

Message 97 of 108
brh Master
Master

@pc2k17

I know what you mean. It seems that every time I leave my home, my system goes offline when I need it to work the most. As I use these cameras as part of my home security strategy I can't be having this happen as often as it has been. Happened again this morning while my wife and I were out for a couple of hours. Saw my system was offline again and sure enough my base stations were rebooting. No notifications whatsoever! Again!!!

Your internet speeds are more than adequate if you are at 100/20. I can't read your earlier post while I am writing this, but I thought the speeds you mentioned were much lower than that, so I was concerned.

Spectrum is my only choice. I was on the 100/20 plan paying $69/ month. I purchased a Skybell Trim HD doorbell and had a poor connection and pixellation and a few of my Arlo cams were only at 1 bar so I purchased the Netgear Orbi mesh router and two satellites and and extra Arlo Pro base. That fixed both of my problems. I kept seeing a special for 400/24 for $19.99 more per month and thought, "what the hay, why not," so I upgraded. I then returned my Spectrum modem and went for the Netgear CM600 high speed modem. When I returned the Spectrum modem the salesman told me why pay $89/month - if I bought a plan with either cable tv or their phone service bundle with this internet upgrade I would go back to the $69.99/month. I bought the phone service and returned the phone after 30 days and so I am still paying the same as before but with a much faster internet speed.

Brian

Message 98 of 108
Initiate

Dawn M. - I have contacted your help desk and this still has not been fixed, going on two months and your post is dated 8/16/18 at 11:23 pm with no additional response from you. I think your company should refund all of us for these expensive cameras since they are not working appropriately and it is ridiculous as well as bad business practice to take months to try unsuccessfully to resolve an issue with your product. I will not recommend Arlo or Netgeat to anyone. 

Message 99 of 108
Aspirant

Did you receive a reply. This problem is well known and going on for way to long now. ARLO appears to be doing noting or is not interested. I agree, ARLO ows all cutomers a refund for False Advertising, as their product does NOT work as advertised. Question is, how do we get to ARLO to get their attention? Is ARLO reading and reviewing the comments here? Is ARLO engaging in these comments? If not, why not? This is a very frustrating issue, and ARLO is not making it better or keeping us informed.

Model: VMC3040|Arlo-Q HD with Audio
Message 100 of 108