Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Fotog
Guide
Guide

Just recently the saved videos will not play.  When clicking on one the screen goes dark and says "Loading" but nothing further happens.

This happens in Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge on a windows 10 machine, but works fine if I use Chrome.

I have gone through all the fixes (I think) such as managing add-ons to make sure Flash is turned on, etc.

Any suggestion for further troubleshooting?

P.S. - Saved videos also play fine on iPhoneX and LG Tablet

160 REPLIES 160
WestNE
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem here ... I can view library videos on my Android tablet, but not on Windows 10.0.17134 using Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0

alfalfa
Tutor
Tutor

This problem of not viewing library videos with Edge has existed on my PC since Aug 15 2018.  Today is Sep 17 2018 and still not working.  On a foot note, When I select "Download" at bottom of Arlo Library screen and then select "Open"  the video will play.  It would seem the play button in Arlo library could coded  to perform these two steps and there would be a solution for Edge users.

Arlo, we are awaiting your progress report on this problem.

Thanks

alfalfa
Tutor
Tutor

I thought I read on a recent feed that Arlo supports Edge

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello all,

Thank you for your patience on this. This issue was reported/observed after a specific Microsoft update was released for Windows 10 (Windows 10 Cumulative Update - August 14, 2018 - KB4343909 (OS Build 17134.228)). We have implemented an update on our staging/testing servers and confirmed it resolves this issue, and we are just waiting for it to be green-lighted for release to production. In the meantime there are a few work-arounds:

1. In the Library, click on the 3 dots
  2. Click on Share > Copy Link
  3. Paste in URL bar

or you can use a different browser such as Chrome. We'll provide an update when we have a definitive release date for this fix.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

It speaks volumes for Arlo support that they are taking over a month to provide a fix for “Microsoft Edge not playing videos from Library”. Most reputable/competent/customer focused companies would have come up with a fix within days rather than months. It now makes me question the value of buying this expensive bit of equipment knowing that when any problems arise I can expect little timely support from Arlo.

rkapa
Aspirant
Aspirant

so i tried all day, on every computer i came accross at work,  kept trying on my i phone, came home contiunued to try, it is not working, just says loading.  i don't believe its a window anything issue.  arlo has the worst i'm sorry, NO, customrer service and it's so frustrating to try and find out what's wrong or even report an issue...  this is insane.  so sorry i ever got these cameras .  had i known or researched them first i woulnd't have wasted my money..   if anyone figures it out i hope i find it...  going thru this community stuff is way too time consuming to me.   thanks.

jubei
Guide
Guide

This isn't the first time Arlo's so-called Engineers took over a month to resolve an issue. Here's a link to one their recent issues that took over 4 months? to resolve and it's still not perfect.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Q/Arlo-q-shows-wrong-clip-length/td-p/1512060

During that time they kept stuffing up something else trying to resolve their original issue. Most annoying stuff up was when they messed up my activity zones so I coul't choose any. I only had a choice for one big activity zone which was useless for my needs. Then few weeks later I ended up with 6 activity zones but none of them worked. Then I had to install their app on my ipad 3 which allowed me to install one of their older app because my ipad 3 was running ios 7.X.X which fixed my activity zones problem for a short time...Anyway you get the picture. Neverending headaches.

Last time I posted regarding this Edge not working issue, someone said Edge wasn't supported blah blah blah. The fact is, I've tried Firefox, Chrome and IE11 then there's the IOS apps for both iPad & iPhones and also the Android app. They are all buggy in some way. Out of all the buggy Arlo apps etc, Edge has been the least buggy for what I use my Arlo Q Plus for but now I'm forced to use Firefox. Firefox is ok but when I'm sliding through my 60 seconds videos to see if I should keep or not, I'm forced to slide then pause, slide then pause or I'll end up missing big chunks of video. With Edge whenI'm sliding, I seem to get every frame. Edge wasn't perfect. It had this bug where after going through several videos, it wouI'd lose sound and only a restart or refresh would fix it. Sometimes when I'm a bit busy and have a few days worth of videos built up, I always got the black "Loading..." screen pop up and freeze after going through couple of days worth of videos (dozen or more). It will then had to be restarted or refreshed to resolve this issue, so maybe the issue was always there but this windows update made it permanent after patching up whatever was buggy on the window's side?.

I stopped referring clients to Arlo products after I got my ass chewed because of the "Incorrect video length" episode. Seems like I've made the right choice. Looks like nothing has changed.

rkapa
Aspirant
Aspirant
yes this company has issues. i have a camera that goes offline for no reason the while it’s offline it eats the batteries. so when i have to restart it i have to put new batteries in it. i don’t even Remember all the issues with this camera. bottom line is i wanted to send it out to have it repaired. it needs repaired. no tricks no resets no all the stuff they make you do when u say it’s broke.n. it needs repaired. they told me there is no one that can repair them. i asked no one in this whole world? they said. no. so i have a useless paper weight and it seems funny to me that you can purchase refurbished cameras from them so someone is fixing them! it’s not under warranty and i told them i would pay to have it repaired. nope! awful i can’t recommend them either. when i first got them i was happy they did everything i needed from them. now ugh!
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Here is something that helped me a lot - this drastically reduced the number of *dead* videos... I turned off the microphones on all my cameras.  The audio quality was horrible anyway.  And since the issue with playback on these videos is the inabaility for browser to decode the audio codec, seemed to make sense to just turn off the microphones.  It comes and goes in spurts, the bad videos, but its a lot less frequent if I don't enable the microphones.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I spoke too soon - even though microphones are off, still happening and has been worse again.  Seems to happen when birds or animals are the trigger, but not always.  Arlo is such an awful system, it just keeps getting worse and worse.  I can't use the micropphones becasue the audio is all choppy cuts in and out, can't watch many of the videos becaseu I have to copy the share link and paste into Friefox before I can watch them... Android app is horrible, too... its useless as a security tool and really should not be marketed as a security system...

GWA
Guide
Guide

Its not the Arlo Q it is the Arlo Pro that I am having issue with.

They worked before but now they don't with Edge.  Now I have to download them to view.

Anyone have a solution other than using another brower?

pearsonchuck
Star
Star

Edge has not worked with my Arlo Pro system since Aug 15 2018.  Here it is Oct 2 2018 and fix has not been up loaded.  I read that ARLO team has a solution but they are waiting for management green light to distribute update.  I would expect a fix soon.  If not fixed by Mid October 2018, many people may leave ARLO and seek other security camera options.

cal-ldy
Initiate
Initiate

I was told by Arlo that they are having Compatibility issues with Internet 11! Mine has been off two months,where desk top is concerned. Video is dark and won't play. But I don't want to use my i phone all the time to look at videos. About ready to go to Blink instead.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

IE isn't recommended for much of anything due to security concerns. At least use Edge although that has the same problem right now. You can either download the videos and view them locally or use a different browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

SJohannsen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo,

Lets get this fixed. It's been a problem for several months, and your rep indicated a solution has been found and awaiting rollout several weeks ago. I'm a premium subscriber, so I pay for this service. I assume being able to actually view the videos, not just your storing them, is included. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops with workarounds, grabbing links and pasting, downloading, or installing non-standard browsers. Get it done, so the system once again works and is worthy of my subscription and recommendation.

MooseHunter
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo has so far REFUSED to or is incapable of fixing the MULTIPLE issues with MS Edge and everyother browser.  So I strongly suggest that those who bought a ARLO system from COSTCO or AMAZON head right over there and leave a strongly worded NEGATIVE REVIEW about this issue.  I have done so tonight and hopefully this will get some attention when there sales fall flat on their ass.  

71zed
Tutor
Tutor

I'm in the process of finding a replacement for my Arlo Q. I can't beleive this issue has not been resolved yet. Netgear has lost me as a future customer.

It's too bad I didn't purchase mine at Costco because it would have been returned by now. 

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

C'mon Netgear. Just do it!

MooseHunter
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone still paying for anything but the Basic service is just throwing good money after BAD.  Please cancel anything over Basic service and don't give these clowns another dime.  

mainframetek
Initiate
Initiate

I've been in the computer hardware business a really long time, but it never ceases to amaze me how some people just can't help but whine like spoiled babies when some small miracle of modern tech doesn't work perfectly, to their highest expectations, 100% of the time. They like to shout things like "unacceptable!" and "class action suit!", especially when the manufacturer gives them a temporary fix, clearly not understanding how much work it takes to resolve complex issues caused by Windows changes.  So please, cultivate a little patience (this will also help you in life generally), and lighten up on the "Let's all storm the Arlo castle" thing.

SJohannsen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well. this isn't hardware, it's software. These Windows changes weren't sprung on them overnight, they have been an issue for months and there were preview versions well before that. This bug affects one of the basic functions of the product, viewing the videos the device captures, on one of the most widely used platforms on the planet. As a premium subscriber, I'm actually paying for the ability monthly, so complaining about it not working seems appropriate. The fix cannot be rocket science as grabbing the share link and pasting into the URL bar works fine. It is not an inherent inability of Windows, IE or Edge to play the content, it is the web sites inability to point to the file properly. Not having a solution after several months, and no updates on progress, can only indicate a lack of motivation to do so. That is unacceptable. Especially considering what these system cost. 

madavis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mainframetek, very well said.  I been in this business on the software side for 37 years.  While it can test your patience, the changes are not put in place just to irritate.  The change implemented was due to security.  Can you imaging the comments if the security hole had been exploited. Web server and browser changes are impossible to predict.  All that anyone can ask is that you do your best.  It can be really difficult in some cases.

MooseHunter
Tutor
Tutor

Exactly!  

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

I believe that those good souls who have been in the hardware and software business since the day they were born are really missing the point. This is a buggy system that Arlo have provided. It is not robust. Any changes impacting its web based/server environment introduced either internally or by external players seem to generate unintended and harmful consequences which take forever to fix. The system is not “flexible” enough to adjust. I am not an IT professional, I am a retired Project Manager. Part of my job was to plan for the unexpected and make sure that the systems we had in place were flexible enough to cope with change.

I think what irritates customers the most is a lack of quality communication. Customer concerns just disappear into a black hole for long periods of time and we have no idea what exactly is being done to address them and when to expect an outcome. The last communication on the Edge browser problem was from Dawn M, The Community Manager, on 17th September 2018.

Perhaps we could introduce a Category into the COMMUNITY “Browse by Topic” called “Known Issues” where Arlo support lists any known issues with Arlo products, details them, provides and continuously updates a timeline for a fix and perhaps recommends any workaround. This would be much easier for customers than having to churn through the various Community Forums seeking relevant information. It would also cut down on people impatiently prompting for a response and a lot of the extra ranting that goes on in the forum out of frustration.

arlonet1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here, a few days ago it was just affecting a few recordings, now its almost every recording that wont play. The recording can be downloaded locally to the phone and be played, but without audio. Hoping this will be fixed anytime soon.