Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
NODAK
Guide
Guide

Ok.  So I am getting really frustrated with the Arlo Pro.  I have set it up done everything needed and mounted it approximately 7 feet above the ground by my front door.  I have had it for 3 days and I previously posted a question about this and checked my settings as recommended.  I have the motion sensitivity all the way down to 10 and am getting false alerts and videos every 2 minutes or so.  Currently have very light snow but didn't think that would be enough to set it off.  When I review the videos there is nothing on them besides some snow flakes.  Turning the motion sensing off would defeat the purpose for which I bought this camera but I can't stand the false alerts every minute.  Ready to pack it up.  Anyone able to help me with this?  Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NODAK
Guide
Guide

Just an update to my previous post. After using the chat function with Arlo I was asked to put my camera pointing at a wall in a dark room to see if it would continue to send me false alerts.  I did this and the camera continued to send false alerts and record.  I exchanged my camera today and just set my new one up.  So far it seems to be working as it should and is not sending me false alerts.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Because it works with an IR sensor, snow does appear to set it off

Simon_Burling
Initiate
Initiate

NODAK wrote:

Ok.  So I am getting really frustrated with the Arlo Pro.  I have set it up done everything needed and mounted it approximately 7 feet above the ground by my front door.  I have had it for 3 days and I previously posted a question about this and checked my settings as recommended.  I have the motion sensitivity all the way down to 10 and am getting false alerts and videos every 2 minutes or so.  Currently have very light snow but didn't think that would be enough to set it off.  When I review the videos there is nothing on them besides some snow flakes.  Turning the motion sensing off would defeat the purpose for which I bought this camera but I can't stand the false alerts every minute.  Ready to pack it up.  Anyone able to help me with this?  Thank you,

I have the same issue but only on an evening, once motion is detected a notification is sent every couple of minutes, this is so wrong and needs to be fixed.

kcsecure
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • Since the last ISO update my front door camera records every minute. I tried changing my sensitivity down from 80 to 50. And it did not help. It is windy and cold but has never been this bad. I have 4 cameras set up. One inside camera activates for no visual reason that I can tell. Batteries are showing about 80% inside. Outside batteries are at about 70% so I don't feel it's a battery issue. They have been working great for about 5 months. I'm thinking something is wrong with the current software. The temp outside is 22 degrees F. It's been colder so I don't believe that's the problem. 
SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice
I purchased for myself 5 cameras and 2 base stations (1 4-pack and 1 1-pack) for Christmas. One of the cameras in the 4-pack is doing exactly this; it is recording 15 second clips twice a minute. This starts the first time motion is triggered after dark and will continue forever or until I disable the camera. It does not happen during the daytime. Last night was windy but in the low 50s, tonight is calm and around 30 so I do not believe temperature or wind-induced motion is a factor.

This nasty cycle starts only after a legitimate motion event occurs. The camera is positioned outdoors, under a covered entrance and sees only the driveway. Turning off night vision seems to prevent this from happening.

I plan to exchange one camera tomorrow as this seems to be a definite hardware problem. Naturally this is the most important camera position so success here is critical to keeping these cameras. Just wanted to share my experience in hopes this gets fixed.
kcsecure
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion about turning off night vision. I'll try it and see if it helps. Mine activates unexpectedly during daytime or night time. The camera outside is under the soffit.. With all the other issues reported on the apple app store about the latest version for the app I'm going to wait it out before replacing. NetGear created new products with new capabilities and maybe the new capabilities in the software affect the basic Arlo functionality, just a thought.

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Please let me know how you make out. In the case of mine, setting motion detection down to 1% had no effect so I strongly believe there is a hardware defect in the suspect camera that the others do not have. 

Good luck!

kcsecure wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion about turning off night vision. I'll try it and see if it helps. Mine activates unexpectedly during daytime or night time. The camera outside is under the soffit.. With all the other issues reported on the apple app store about the latest version for the app I'm going to wait it out before replacing. NetGear created new products with new capabilities and maybe the new capabilities in the software affect the basic Arlo functionality, just a thought.

kcsecure
Aspirant
Aspirant

Turning off night vision did not make a difference in my case.I swapped an inside one, not having the problem, with the outside one having a problem. Now the outside is working as it should.and the inside one is acting up. However, it only activated a couple times so far. I'll give it a little more time before asking for a replacement.

NODAK
Guide
Guide

Just an update to my previous post. After using the chat function with Arlo I was asked to put my camera pointing at a wall in a dark room to see if it would continue to send me false alerts.  I did this and the camera continued to send false alerts and record.  I exchanged my camera today and just set my new one up.  So far it seems to be working as it should and is not sending me false alerts.

Arlo999
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue. The camera is situated in my backyard without any cover. It will set the motion detection and I had to set the sensibility to 10% before it stops sending false alert. Then later on it will set off again.

I don't have the same issue with my 2nd camera which is located at the front of my house under the cover of a veranda.

Please advise.
Arlo999
Aspirant
Aspirant
Would putting the camera in an outdoor camera case help?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unlikely.

NODAK
Guide
Guide

I had my cameras motion sensitivity set to 1 and it still recorded every minute or two at night.  It worked perfectly during the day.  As I mentioned previously it was a camera issue.  I returned that one and have my new one up for 2 days and it works perfectly.

kcsecure
Aspirant
Aspirant

I submitted an issue with Netgear and asked to replace my 2 problem cameras. The system is only 4 months old. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice
The replaced camera is still working well. Now the next issue is none of the cameras on the base station are streaming or recording without glitching. Starting to think the product isn't ready for the public.
Pearland
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having an issue with outdoor camera sending non stop false alerts day and night. Camera worked fine for 3 weeks, the suddenly started the above mentioned. I have performed all mentioned trouble shooting without any resolutions. Camera is mounted under the race on the garage. Is this a possibly a Hardware issue?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup. Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

NODAK
Guide
Guide

I agree.  Open a case and they were really good to work with.  They had me run through a few things and when none of it worked I was able to take my camera back to the store and received a new one.  My had only been about 1 week old at the time.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Pearland, did you try what one of the posters above tried? Put the camera in a dark drawer and leave in the dark and motionless for a few hours and if it shows motion is detected in that situation, it's probably a hardware issue

Pearland
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the comments. My intentions are to do as described above this evening. I will follow up with findings after troubleshooting. It was just a bid odd because it worked flawlessly for 4 weeks. Thanks again