Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

WiFi Range?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Groundhog2
Follower
Follower

Hello,

we are considring purchasing Arlo Pro AMV4000C kit but concerned as only location of base station available would bean WiFi would need to penetrate 4 brick walls to comunicate with camera located on exterior of building (though distance between base & camera would only be approx 35 feet). I have read camera can only comunicate direct to base sation, so what options may be availabe to rectifie poor reception in this case? Also, how can I test if this location would work OK prior to purchasing kit? Our inhouse WiFi router transmits to the proposed camera position, but I am concerned this router (Australian Telstra model TG800vac) has stronger siginal  than Arlo base station may have, & so may not be good comparision.

Apologies if this question has already been answered elswhere in forum, I looked but could not find a similar situation to this.

kind regards

andrew

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

My Arlo base station has a stronger signal than my routers. It runs on 2.4GHz to give it longer range. BUT I guess you'll never know til you get it

Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice

Groundhog2 wrote:

Hello,

we are considring purchasing Arlo Pro AMV4000C kit but concerned as only location of base station available would bean WiFi would need to penetrate 4 brick walls to comunicate with camera located on exterior of building (though distance between base & camera would only be approx 35 feet). I have read camera can only comunicate direct to base sation, so what options may be availabe to rectifie poor reception in this case? Also, how can I test if this location would work OK prior to purchasing kit? Our inhouse WiFi router transmits to the proposed camera position, but I am concerned this router (Australian Telstra model TG800vac) has stronger siginal  than Arlo base station may have, & so may not be good comparision.

Apologies if this question has already been answered elswhere in forum, I looked but could not find a similar situation to this.

kind regards

andrew

Steve is spot on,  i have a camera about 15-20 meters from the base station outside on my eaves, ( it goes through 2 brick walls and gets about 50% signal ) i had to climb up the other day to reposition,  and i lost wifi between my phone and router while trying to view it on the app,  ( which is right next to my arlo base station ) meaning the base station has at least twice the signal strenght of my helsta home gateway  lol...

I ended up moving the base station closer using an ethernet over a/c system. ( Netcomm NP505 )  and it works fine.