Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

SirV
Star
Star

The latest app update is a downgrade as far as I'm concerned

Why have you removed the simple indicators of battery level and now you have to click further into the app to find them, who thought that was a good idea.

482 REPLIES 482
PowerNZ
Tutor
Tutor
Absolutely agree - the current layout is a lemon. Give us back our battery level and sensor indicators!
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
fix the notifications it work randomly i wait for up to 3 to 5 minutes get notifications
Eniodi
Initiate
Initiate

I agree.  I udated last night.  The new iOS app is terrible.  Not being able to see all cameras without scrolling through them is tedius.  They have also removed the icons to show which cameras are active, battery and wireless strength.  It's also now two presses to get to the camera settings, when it was just one before.

Whoever was in charge of the UI/UX on this project should be shot.  So many rookie mistakes here.

Eniodi
Initiate
Initiate

I updated the iOS app on my iPad last night.  The new app is a real step backwards.  The new layout does not work for iPad - I have three cameras, and can only see one at a time.  I have to scroll through each one, whereas before I could see all three simaltaneously.  All the handy icons showing battery and signal strength, and which cameras are activated are now gone.  Now, to get to cameras settings you have to press two buttons, whereas before you just pressed the cog icon on each camera view.

This is a terrible update.  The UI/UX design on this app is completely amateur.  It has degraded usability - not improved it!

Even the icon update is a mistake.  Why just change the colours?  This was uneccessary.  the new colour contrast is not well thought out.  It is actually now harder to pick the icon out on my iPad.

Seriously - what marketing genious pushed for this?  Did anyone get an experienced UI/UX person on the job, beause it does not look like it.

fastengine
Initiate
Initiate

Go back to the old "devices" page that showed icons at the top. It was so easy to see the battery life of each camera without needing to open each camera and click "device settings". To many steps when checkiing five cameras.

Backup
Tutor
Tutor
Latest update is not showing battery health. 😞
There is also a delay the attachment shows pic (with no battery life icon) clicking from this active pic to “Mode” and the mode is still loading and have to wait :-((
Fishnut99
Initiate
Initiate

I am trying to get back to the Arlo dashboard shown in the apple App Store.  Currently when I open the app all cameras are displayed full scene on my I pad.  I disconnected all devices and reinstalled with no change.   Does anyone know if this is part of the upgrade.  I contacted support and got no results.  

JenEricRal
Tutor
Tutor

I completely agree. It made my way here to make the same suggestion. At a minimum, please put the battery indicator back on the main screen!

jpcncline
Guide
Guide

So, to see a live camera view, you have to go to device settings, then device utilites, then camera positioning, then wait 15 seconds and a live view comes up. The “normal” method via the main camera screen shows “live” at the top of the screen, but it is NOT A LIVE VIEW!!! Netgear, HOW do you contend this is acceptable and you provide no response to the massive outcry from yor customers?

Happypoms2
Star
Star

Thanks but that didn't work either.  I appreciae the suggestion though.

DCS36
Star
Star

Unfortunately, yes it is part of the latest update. 

kseton
Tutor
Tutor

Same here as well to add my voice... again... the Layouts are now a useless scrolling page by page on Portable devices and the live view no longer works and which is the whole point of using a camera security system in the first place.

Has anyone at all had any response from ARLO Support or are they simply ignoring everyone?  

For certain for me, with no useable Layout to view my camera's on a Portable i-devices and no ability to live view the camera's, what's the point of owning an ARLO any more?  If this is the "new" ARLO and they've removed the features taht they advertised and that we were sold on, it sounds more like a legal-process...

I think I've lost all confidence in ARLO completely, it's a reoccuring theme and it's gotten old. You can bet I'll never refer anyone to ARLO ever again that's for sure, there are better products out there and more stable platforms.

Davhd
Star
Star

I’m running ios12 on both my devices and I have a start arrow icon in middle of camera picture within devices menu that I can hit to switch to live view.  It then shows a square/stop icon button to end the live view.  This is using the latest arlo UI which I expressed my feelings about earlier.

Happypoms2
Star
Star

I can do this but the picture isn't really "Live"--cannot record any video, take a picture nor use the microphone.    There is also no sound.  And many times, when press the arrow to go to "Live," nothing happens. Whew--this situation is awful and no one at Arlo seems to be doing anything or at least they are not informing anyone.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Kseton:

My Live View works well on most of my cameras for some reason.  Some appear to have less lag than usual.  I'm seeing 2 second lag on some Arlo Pro 2 cameras and a 3 second lag on an Arlo Q-Plus.  I haven't checked them all.  One Pro 2 seems to have some trouble connecting.  I'm not sure that is realted to the update.

I'm using iOS 12.0.1 on an iPhone XS, 10.5" iPad Pro and Mojave on a Macbook Pro.

Upr11s
Guide
Guide

Needless to say Arlo support never got back to me (no surprise)

So, after a long telephone call to Amazon (where I purchased the 2 sets of cameras), they have agreed to give a full refund.

I got them to read through the description of what Arlo was supposed to actually do and then explained what it was Actually delivering. They have agreed that this falls well short of arlos own description and the product is now effectively not suitable to fulfil its own description of use/operation.

Just about to affix the return label to an old shoe box full of cameras and 2 hubs, to be collected tomorrow.

no doubt Arlo support still won’t contact me to try to convince me otherwise.

so does anyone have any suggestions for suitable alternatives, will have nearly a thousand pound budget (thanks to the refund)

afeid
Star
Star
Sadly I agree with you. Ive been using Arlo cameras for many years, but after this malware they call an update, I’m actively shopping for another security system. I have 10 cameras on 2 accounts at 2 different sites to replace. Even though it’s going to be expensive, I dont see any other alternative at this point. I depend on these for my family’s security, and I’m not going to allow a greedy, unresponsive company that ignores users to put my family at risk.. BTW I tried to use the kudos button on your post, apparently they've disabled that functionality since the count didn't increment when I clicked it.
Krysuk
Star
Star
As an update almost a week later and I don’t believe netgear have responded other than advising on support articles that all of the changes were “enhancements” and how they intend the app to work

https://kb.arlo.com/000062072/What-enhancements-are-included-in-the-Arlo-app-release-version-2-6-0

For those at netgear and any other shills that don’t see how this impacts people..

This is NOT a minor issue - I previously needed to check the app once or twice a week to ensure the continued monitoring and safety of my home - surely the reason I bought Arlo?

unless I now check EVERY camera and make a separate note of all the battery levels every time rather than drilling into each and every camera to keep an eye on things then my time effort and peace of mind are all gone

This is a SECURITY SYSTEM that worked 99% of the time since I bought it - I spent A LOT of money on this **bleep** and now l have to manually take on the job of monitoring all my cameras separately and manually

Why did I invest in Arlo? because I wanted flexibility and ease of use - so yeah I’m pissed off my £1000 investment now adds more stress, pressure and less security to what I already have in my life between work and looking after a family!!!

For those it doesn’t appear to affect you are are lucky and probably have 1 or 2 cameras - for me it does impact me - as it does others, we aren’t all the same, strange that?

This isn’t hyperbole, I have an extremely stressful job and have a lot of responsibilities at home too, I didn’t invest in a smart camera monitoring and security system with alarm and external video archiving to make my life harder

Also after finding that article advising these are all “enhancements” and they have the gall to state that this is their design choices and that’s the way to access the information now?

I’m surprised the tech press haven’t picked up on this yet, - netgear need drastic action to turn this around now I think
Janetteramsey
Star
Star

This is a DISASTER!!!! PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK ALL THE USEFULL INFORMATION IS GONE.

TheOceanWaves
Initiate
Initiate
Bring back the ability to use the Arlo app in split screen!

With this latest update, I am no longer able to use Arlo in split screen mode on my android.

When your app supported split screen, I was able to monitor my home and record has necessary WHILE doing other things on my phone. Now, to access Arlo I have to completely STOP whatever else I'm doing on my phone and use Arlo ONLY. What a pain!
Davhd
Star
Star

Happypoms2,

Strange...I get a microphone, audio and record icon with ios12, but I believe you.  Anyways, the UI is terrible, I cannot even tell if cameras are working/armed, battery strength..etc without multiple clicks now.  

Not a reliable system with the constant changing of code.  Agree with above poster, this is advertised as a security system and changes should be non-invasive for those that put their trust in Arlo.  

Happypoms2
Star
Star

Hi Davhd,

I do have the icons--they just don't work.  Thanks for responding.

deplashat
Guide
Guide

First post.  Just had to join to express my extreme frustration at the new update on the Arlo app.

Time to sack your UI/UX designers.  Removing camera indicators and now forcing me to select each camera for these vitals is ludicrous. Previously this was clearly visible on the home page and it was perfect.  If it ain't broke....
The new design is woeful from a practically standpoint and I have to question whether any testing was done or customer feedback sought.  Additionally since the update I have noticed that my app is EXTREMELY slow to start playing a recorded video.  It's now not useable for me at all and I am unable to load the app and view clips quickly to review movement on my camera's.

Such a downgrade.  I did intend on purchasing additional camera's but if this is not reversed I will be looking at another product.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Davhd:  My icons also work.  However, there is no visual feedback that the icons are working other than the red dot in the center of the record button.  The microphone button doesn’t change color and the snapshot button doesn’t appear to give any feedback...I did discover some audio feedback from the snapshot button once, but I haven’t heard the shutter sound recently.  There really should be visual feedback also, since some people (me for example) politely keep our devices in silent mode unless we really want to listen to something when we won’t bother people around us.  I clicked off about a dozen pictures, thinking the snapshot button wasn’t working and then saw all of the images in my library.  The microphone was similar.  I had to stand next to my camera and talk to myself in order to realize it was working.  There seemed to be some delay in the start and stop of the microphone.  Having a visual cue on the microsphone icon is very important...but missing.

Janetteramsey
Star
Star
I’ve no longer got alarm call Police etc . I pay for the app I’m disgusted. 7 cameras three lights nothing working why can’t they leave it alone.