Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 78 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Print_B
Guide
Guide

I have a couple of Arlo systems.  One at home and one at work.  Our home system has suddenly stopped detecting motion and subsequently not recording.  It has a mixture of Arlo and Arlo Pro cameras.  I have rebooted, re-synced, removed devices - turned off system and power etc.  I still can't get them to work.  Any suggestions please?

78 REPLIES 78
Print_B
Guide
Guide

on a desktop computer

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Ok, I logged off of my phone and logged in on my computer. Yes, They are now arrows. Select the first camera and click on edit.

It should be 

If the following:

Motion Is Detected should be checked, ( and Audio if you wish).

Interestingly enough if you set the sensitivity here, there is no Save option. The Mobile app lets you save the setting you chose. Mine defaults to 80%

Then Do the Following:

The same camera should be set to Record Video. If a different camera is listed clicking the down arrow should allow you to change it to the correct Camera.

Notifications:

Pick however you want to be notified.

Ah, I just noticed something:

There are Three tabs at the top of the page:

1) The camera ID

2) Edit Mode

3) Edit Rule

When you select the motion sensitivity You will be taken to a Motion Settings Tab, (a fourth tab). After you have set the sensitivity, click back on the Edit Rule tab and your Sensitivity setting will stick.

The same for the Record Video length. The fourth tab will say Recording Settings. Change the setting to whatever you like and click on the Edit Rule tab. Your settings will stick.

At the bottom of the Edit Rules page click on Save.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Repeat the steps above for each camera.

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

I'm so sorry and thanks for your response, however I reset my base station.  All cameras went offline so I went about removing them to resync.  However - none of them will resync.  So I'm pretty much offline now

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Bummer!

If you are able, bring the cameras closer to the base station and be sure that the base station is 6 to 8 feed from the Router.

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

oh they are close, within half a metre.  never had a problem syncing before.  my situation has gone from bad to worse, lol.  I am just try ascertain what lights should be on my base station, first two are green, middle one amber and two on the right and dim green

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Doing a factory reset removes all the devices from your account.

Start by adding the Base, (if you haven't already) then add each of the cameras, (again if you haven't already).

I would add them one at a time and try to sync each one separately.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

The middle light if amber means you are connected to the router but not connected to the internet.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

When you get them up and running, do not change any of the default rules for now and don't add any scheduling or geofencing.

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

righto hopefully that's my problem, off to read up how to install the base station

brh
Master
Master
brh
Master
Master
Print_B
Guide
Guide

ok, back up and running and the two cameras I resynced are operating correctly - just going to grab another one or two and see if I can get them operational

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Great!

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

not so great, next two cameras I resynced keep giving the message offline

"It looks like the device is either busy or offline.  Please make sure your base station is powered on and connected to the internet."  Which it is ... I try to go live on these cameras and this is the message I get.  Seconds later it notifies me that there was a motion activation.

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Did the cameras completely sync?

Do you get this message only when you go live?

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

yes completely synced.  took batteries out and tried again - but still the same.  first two cameras are still working fine.  might go grab another two and give them a try

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Have the two that say they're offline, but still record on motion, ever been sync'd to another base station before?

Print_B
Guide
Guide

no, but have removed the camera and then readded - now can record live but no motion detect.

Brian, thanks so much for your help but I'm going to call it a night, its nearly 10.20pm here in New Zealand and I have spent three hours just tonight trying to get this resolved.

Off to bed and will have another try in daylight tomorrow.

Many thanks - g'nite

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Print_B wrote:

no, but have removed the camera and then readded - now can record live but no motion detect.

Additional cameras being added don't automatically get rules for recording. The best thing for you to do is create a custom mode and go through the process of making all the recording rules yourself while also not being limited in the rules you can have, unlike the Armed mode. You'll also then get to set motion sensitivity and recording time and notification options as well as whether you want the siren to go off, per camera

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In addition, it sounds like the reset process may not have been done by the book. I would suggest removing all devices from Settings, My Devices. Use the reset button on the base if you wish, holding it until the LEDs flash amber. Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to add the base and then sync the cameras. Verify that all firmware is up to date by comparing to what's listed in the Release Notes section here.

Sorry it's proven to be problematic but this should fix things properly unless there's a hardware or Internet access problem.

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Cameras were all removed and added (resynced) all cameras operational now and performing live recording.  Still no motion detection.  All cameras at factory setting of 80%.  New cameras added to the system did a firmware update prior to becoming operational.

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Have you tried the motion test in the phone app? You can not do this with the computer IDE - You must do it on your phone in the app.

Go to settings, My Devices and select one of the cameras. In the Settings page scroll down to the Motion detector test and click on the arrow beside it.

On the next page it says the LED on the camera will flash when it detects motion. Walk in front of that camera and let me know what happens.

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Morning Brian, yes I had tried the motion detection test (from my desktop computer) and the cameras do flash red when very close.  Am off to work shortly so will have another go at this tonight when I get home.  Because I only have less than one month of warranty left I either want to get it resolved or if need be return the base station for replacement if it's faulty.  Many thanks - have a good day

Print_B
Guide
Guide

I can say that I turned on sound detecting and that is working great - one of my dogs is whining and it picked that up and recorded video 🙂  Let's hope any potential burglars are chatty eh 😉