Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 78 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Print_B
Guide
Guide

I have a couple of Arlo systems.  One at home and one at work.  Our home system has suddenly stopped detecting motion and subsequently not recording.  It has a mixture of Arlo and Arlo Pro cameras.  I have rebooted, re-synced, removed devices - turned off system and power etc.  I still can't get them to work.  Any suggestions please?

78 REPLIES 78
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Is the running man icon in the Devices tab black or grey in its outline? Has something happened with the rules or modes? Are you using Armed or a custom recording mode? Do you have the home system linked to Smartthings?

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Hi Steve, thanks for the quick reply.  Yes the "Running Man" is black.  I do have the system set to a schedule to which it hasn't activated (detected motion for five days).  While testing I set the mode to Armed.  Not sure about Rules or where to find them, so sure I haven't changed them.  Nor do I know about Smarthings, something else to enlighten me with please.  Cheers

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Print_B wrote:

Hi Steve, thanks for the quick reply.  Yes the "Running Man" is black.  I do have the system set to a schedule to which it hasn't activated (detected motion for five days).  While testing I set the mode to Armed.  Not sure about Rules or where to find them, so sure I haven't changed them.  Nor do I know about Smarthings, something else to enlighten me with please.  Cheers

OK, don't worry about Smartthings. It's a separate home automation hub that can integrate with Arlo but cause some issues.

When you say you've removed and resync'd etc, you included removing the battery from the camera and then reinserting the battery, yeah? Live view works fine?

If you go to the Mode tab and click the > or pencil symbol next to it, it'll give you the rules for each of the cameras. Edit the rules and make sure they all say [name of camera] motion detected *checked* Then do the following [name of camera] Record Video

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Yes to all of the above.  Live view is fine.  All cameras set to motion detect and record (found that I can set to detect audio too - thanks Smiley Happy which I might try to see if my dogs sets it off).  Am sure I haven't changed anything but my computer has had a java update but I don't see how that could affect it as I get alerts for motion detection to my phone as well as email

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I guess you've pretty much tried everything. Is the camera still under warranty? Might be worth contacting Support via the link at the bottom of the page and opening a ticket. If the camera still won't detect motion, it may be faulty.

Have you tried using the app and putting the camera into motion test mode and seeing if the LED on the front of the camera lights up when you wave your hand 2" away from it?

brh
Master
Master
brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Secondly, have you made any changes in your app on your phone?

Have you checked that the app is up to date?

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

That's the thing it's not just one camera, it's all five on this home system.  When in test mode I do get a red LED light but as you say only really close.  The camera's all seem to default back to 50% sensitivity even though I continually change it up to 100% - can't seem to get the settings to "stick"

Print_B
Guide
Guide

thanks, I might try that today (last resort)

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Print_B wrote:

That's the thing it's not just one camera, it's all five on this home system.  When in test mode I do get a red LED light but as you say only really close.  The camera's all seem to default back to 50% sensitivity even though I continually change it up to 100% - can't seem to get the settings to "stick"

Ah, common issue. When you edit the rule in your recording mode and change the motion sensitivity slider, you have to then find the SAVE button. It's either at the bottom of the page or on the previous page!! Don't ask me why they designed it like that. My recommendation is you turn all of your cameras up to 100, save. Each time you get a motion activation that you don't want, turn the sensitivity down 1 or 2. Most of my cameras are set up somewhere between 80-92 for sensitivity. Good luck with this being the fix! Find the save button... save the cheerleader (Heroes joke)

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Yes app is up to date.  Not aware of making any changes on the phone.  But the last time the system was working (recorded movement) was Monday when the boys got home early and I was getting multiple notifications of motion detection.  At this stage I turned off the schedule so the system was disarmed, later that night I reactivated the schedule.  

Print_B
Guide
Guide

awesome, thank you!  will give that a try and find this elusive SAVE button

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, the Motion Detection Test in the camera settings only gives you a number that you then use in your modes and rules which you'll find in the Mode tab, after clicking on your base. Check the Armed mode and the rules inside. Rather than changing that, create your own custom modes with rules to your liking so you have complete control. As above, be sure to save - there may be multiple places to save (1 for the rule and another for the mode). There's and FAQ here with complete directions.

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Ok, still no go - after I spoke with live chat on support and they carried out tests.  They decided because I am rural it was my slow internet speed.  Because it was holiday here in New Zealand yesterday so today after the long weekend I went into our local Vodafone shop and borrowed a wifi 3G modem, hugely increased our internet speed (like 4x) but cameras are still not working.  Out of the five I only have one that is detecting motion and recording.  I even synced a new camera to the system to check that out and it too doesn't work.  Arrrghh - Support has recommended I return the entire system for a refund.  I liked my cameras and the Arlo system - it had worked previously but am mystified as to what I am doing wrong.

Print_B
Guide
Guide

still no go I'm afraid

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

When you select the mode icon at the bottom of the page what are the names of the different Modes you have?

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Hi Brian, screenshot below 

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Sorry but I won't be able to view the screenshot until the moderator approves it.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

I know the most of the Support guys and gals know more tha I do, but something doesn't sound right.

1) What are the odds that all these cameras would fail all at once?

2) I don't understand why your settings don't stick.

3) I have a hunch that it is something simple in your app that is causing the problem and my hunch is that  it is the Schedule.

4) If the wifi speed was an issue, I would think that your live view would be choppy. I think that you proved that speed was not a problem.

Since my system is working, I just thought that if you were up to it I would compare settings to see if we find something.

Is it difficult to delete the schedule and if that is not the problem, redo it?

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

would love to accept your help.  The cameras are not set to schedule but are armed.  Am just about to do a base station reset.  Will keep you posted

Print_B
Guide
Guide

ok - I have 

Armed

Disarmed

Schedule

Geofencing

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Good. Same as Mine.

Click the green pencil next to the Armed Mode.

Under Rules what does it say?

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

I have an arrow and all cameras are set to motion and record, like this:

Record camera (Bedroom Deck) on motion.

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

The rules look good. Mine do not have an arrow. Instead, there is a pencil to the right of each rule.

Are you using an iPhone or an Android phone?

Brian