Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
petercooper1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. Is it possible to use the magnetic mounts that come with the system outside? All the videos/pictures I havw seen have more robust brackets for outside.

7 REPLIES 7
brh
Master
Master

@petercooper1

Yes you can but I would advise against doing that. The cameras, using the magnetic mount can be easily stolen or knocked down by animals or strong winds.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have nearly all of my cameras outdoors on the magnetic mounts. Winds have never bothered them but if a bird or animal lands on them or can access them, all bets are off. FWIW, there's a post here from maybe a year or so ago showing how a racoon was unscrewing a camera from a threaded mount.  Never say never...

MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice
One of my 3 Arlos is on a magnetic mount. On my porch above the front door. My backyard and driveway cams are on outdoor mounts. Additionally, I secured the magnetic mount with 3m Commander tape on the vinyl siding. It's been up for about 2 months now in cold weather with no problems.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

My outside cams are on the half magnetic ball too... no issues.

Tho i do recommend a short tether to the camera ( 1/4-20 bolt to threaded hole ) tied around the mount bottom

If it does fall then, it won't go far.

IIRR, one lost their cam in the snow for a while due to very high winds, a squirrel stole one, bird landed on a cam and knocked off.... tether limits it's possible loss

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
petercooper1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks very much. In Cyprus so no snow. Might get the odd flamingo though so better tether.
petercooper1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you!
steve_t
Master Master
Master

All of mine are on magnetic mounts, many at face height too. I find the magnetic mounts that much easier to take the camera down for charging.

The cameras mounted on fences or walls are using the included half dome mounts. For under the eves attached to the soffits, I use the table/ceiling mount VMA1100