Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 In Conversation
AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is coming up when I log in to view my cameras on my.arlo.com

I've told it no, of course, but what are you trying to pull?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There was an update deployed to address this concern. You should no longer be asked for camera access. Please let me know if you are still experiencing this.

Thank you 

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
franciscor
Guide
Guide

Today when I was accessing my cameras via the web browser Safari on my Mac lap top I received a pop up notification which said, "allow "my.arlo.com" to use your camera and microphone message on safari?" Then when I allow it, the green dot next to my laptops camera comes on as if its access my laptop  video camera. Its never asked for this before. This is totally new.  Any reason why its doing this now? 

Barc
Luminary
Luminary

I received the same popup.  There is no way I would ever allow Arlo to access my camera or microphone.  There is no reason they need it and I don't trust them.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Your microphone is needed if you talk thru the cameras....

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

No idea why it would ask for camera access.

But the browser does support two-way talk with the Arlo cameras, so it will ask for mic access.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Well thing is that every time you watch live video the camera comes on. It's not necessary and I blocked it. Still dumb.

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB 

That is true about the mic, thanks.  I should have thought of that.  I've had these for 5 years, I'm not on a new computer or a new browser, and I haven't reset anything, so I'm not sure why it's asking for that now.  Maybe it got reset somehow?

In my situation the mic is worthless anyway since the latency from my cameras to Arlos' site and back to me is ~8-10 seconds, so it's completely useless for any communication.

Now about that camera...

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ralfyguy1 

Well thing is that every time you watch live video the camera comes on.

The Arlo camera comes on when you watch live video, but I'm talking about it asked for access to my computer's camera.  There is no reason I can think of that Arlo should be accessing my computer's camera.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AikaneKai wrote:

There is no reason I can think of that Arlo should be accessing my computer's camera.

Me either.

RickNW
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, I understand needing the mic for audio, but why the camera? Unfortunately, I allowed the access. Is there a way to disable the laptop camera from being used? Also, why all of the sudden?

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

That is what I meant. My laptop camera comes on when I start live video feed from any Arlo camera.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Oh and can't make changes to the motion sensitivity anymore either. Changes won't get saved! OH NO! I It is probably all my equipment again and I must send my laptop in for repair again or buy a new one, isn't that right ARLO SUPPORT?

NickDi
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same issue... accidentally allowed video access... now my green video light comes on everytime I record on a camera! How do I shut this off?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for reporting this, I have notified the team to see if I can gather any info regarding this. I'll report back as soon as I can. 

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

@RickNW, @NickDi , @ralfyguy1 

You can turn it off in your browser.  If you're on

FireFox: go to Firefox \ Preferences \ Privacy  security.  Scroll down to Permissions and alternately click on the Camera button and the Microphone button.  Change the setting in there.

Safari: Open Safari \ Preferences.

Click on the Websites tab/icon.

Alternately click on Camera and Microphone and change the settings there.

If you're on a different browser and don't know how to turn it back off, tell us what browser you're using and I'm sure someone up here can help.

Thanks@ShayneS 

cellodude
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking forward to the fix Shayne is looking into. I accidentally clicked 'yes' on camera access and can't get out of it...

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

@cellodudeYes you can get out of it.  It's a browser setting, not a life-commitment.  Read my instructions earlier in this thread.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

Oh and can't make changes to the motion sensitivity anymore either. 

Are you trying to set the sensitivity in the motion detection test?  That doesn't save by design (it is only for testing).

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

No in the modes. I have to use the phone app to make changes.

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS

Any update from the Arlo team on the cause/reason for this?

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS 

Any update from Arlo on this?

yamapro
Initiate
Initiate

Why is Arlo turning on my computer camera ?

Not cool !

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yamapro wrote:

Why is Arlo turning on my computer camera ?

It's not.  It is asking for camera permissions (along with mic) - no idea why that is.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you've granted permissions to turn the camera on you should be able to use the browser settings to turn it off.

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS 

It's been 2 months.  Did you get any information for us?