Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
xmaidenfan
Follower
Follower
I dont get push notifications to my android phone anymore. When I signed on Thursday night, a notice popped up telling me this because my android phone does not get 5.0. I have had my phone for 5 years and it works fine for everything else, and up until the other night, I received notifications when my cameras motion detectors were set off while I was sleeping. Now, no more warning. Tried downloading app but said needed android 5.0 and my phone has 4.4.2 Now I have 5 cameras that dont warn me when something goes on, I have to wait until the next day and check my computer to see what happened. Real Safe for me and my family, HUH!! Now I dont haver $500 just sitting around to get a new phone, and I have 5 cameras that dont do what they have done for 2 years. So what do I do now???
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nobody supports older devices and OSes forever. As new devices, both Arlo as well as phones, are introduced and new features are added while old features are removed or changed,  differences occur that can't always be fixed. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

First, you can use email notifications instead of push. Not quite the same thing but it works. Second, that old an OS also has security issues so you might want to consider looking into unlocking the phone and installing a newer custom ROM such as LineageOS (lineageos.org). I have an older Nexus 6 that runs well on this. Not all devices are supported but many are - check the list.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It is a factor of how puhes are sent ( it's been changed )

But, why don't you use emails to the phone.... they still work on the older OS's

It is just a short time longer to receive ( seconds after the recording completes ) but at least you will get notified.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nobody supports older devices and OSes forever. As new devices, both Arlo as well as phones, are introduced and new features are added while old features are removed or changed,  differences occur that can't always be fixed. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

First, you can use email notifications instead of push. Not quite the same thing but it works. Second, that old an OS also has security issues so you might want to consider looking into unlocking the phone and installing a newer custom ROM such as LineageOS (lineageos.org). I have an older Nexus 6 that runs well on this. Not all devices are supported but many are - check the list.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@xmaidenfan :

Don’t bother......even with a newer phone, it may not work. I’m using a new phone, running on Android 8, not getting any more push notifications since Arlo changed the app. When contacted support I was told: “it’s your phone......”.

I must be one of very few users affected by this since I haven’t seen too many complaints around the community. I have given up.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Paul_FCCL , what phone? Is the permission for phone access allowed?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jguerdat :

Asus Zenfone 4;

Android 8.0;

Owned phone, with Arlo app installed and working, for about two years;

81 apps installed, all perfectly working, including push-notifications;

None of the installed apps has required any changes, notifications never stopped;

Initially denied Arlo’s request (strangely worded) for “managing phone and making calls” or something like that, later allowed, with no difference made.

No more push-notifications working since changes made to Arlo app. Contacted support, promptly told “it’s got to be your phone”.

This is what I’ve been dealing with.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would reboot the phone, reinstall the app and grant all permissions. It might be worth turning off Google backups similar to the multiple notifications issue (force close, clear cache and data, turn off backups, uninstall the app, reboot, install the app, grant all permissions, enable backups). Beyond that, can't suggest anything.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jguerdat :

Yeah did all that......many times, even tried it on my older phone previously running ok with Arlo app (MotoG, Android 6.0) same problem. At least I know it’s not just a specific phone brand.

Any way, just a matter of time, we’ll see which app update will fix it.

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your efforts in trying to help.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Paul_FCCL

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support