Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
sas2art
Follower
Follower

I have a desktop computer with Windows 11, Edge 119.0.2151.97(Official build)(64 bit) and the Microsoft extension bought from the Microsoft store h265ify. I just bought a new laptop and it has the same identical version of Edge, same extension h265ify, and same Windows 11. On my desktop, I can play the videos in the library of the Arlo online WebPortal website but they won't play on my laptop. When I try to play on my laptop, I get a message that says, "This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view." When I download these videos to my laptop the video player in my computer will play them. 

6 REPLIES 6
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @sas2art 

This thread may help with this issue you are experiencing: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-4/2K-4K-Videos-cannot-be-played-in-browser/m-p/1862833

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sas2art wrote:

and the Microsoft extension bought from the Microsoft store h265ify. 

h265ify isn't the microsoft extension, it is something else (and AFAIK isn't sold in the app store). The microsoft one is 

Note some PCs come with this pre-installed (I know that HP PCs do, but don't know about other brands).

Even with the extension, the PC needs to have HEVC/H.265 hardware acceleration.  New laptops should have it.

I suggest that you also test with Chrome.  It doesn't need the microsoft extension (but does need hardware acceleration).

Also, you should try testing with this website:

Don't change the settings (or set "use our defaults").  Just click on the video, and see if it can play.  If it works, you will see text on the video that includes hvc1 cud8 195.  If you see that text, then it confirms that the browser can play H.265/HEVC video.

MattHerrin
Aspirant
Aspirant

If we change the video resolution in settings to 1080 or 720x720---will the vids play on a windows 11 browser then?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MattHerrin wrote:

If we change the video resolution in settings to 1080 or 720x720---will the vids play on a windows 11 browser then?

Does the bitmovin link above play on your PC?

What browser are you using?

MattHerrin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would prefer just using edge, chrome or firefox. But my question---in settings on the app---if you lower the resolution to 1080 or 720x720 would that fix the issue?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MattHerrin wrote:

Would prefer just using edge, chrome or firefox. But my question---in settings on the app---if you lower the resolution to 1080 or 720x720 would that fix the issue?

I am thinking you must be talking about one of the doorbells (since other arlo devices are 16:9 and not square).

The issue is HEVC video encoding, not the resolution per se. Pro 3/Pro 4/Ultra will switch to AVC video encoding at lower resolutions, but I haven't checked this with the doorbells.

@MattHerrin wrote:

Would prefer just using edge, chrome or firefox. 

• Firefox doesn't play HEVC video at all. 
  • Chrome will play HEVC if your PC has HEVC hardware acceleration. 
  • Edge needs both HEVC hardware acceleration and the Microsoft HEVC windows extension.

I recommend (again) trying the bitmovin link I posted earlier in the discussion thread.  That would let us know for sure that your issue is with HEVC playback, and not something else.

How old is the PC?