Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB 4000 NOT CONNECTING TO CAMERAS. LED'S ON ARE ALL GREEN.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Itaska
Aspirant
Aspirant

My 4 cameras are not connecting to the hub.  The 3 hub LED's are ALL GREEN.

This started a few days ago but I have not had time to address it.

POWERED OFF Hub & Router.

13 REPLIES 13
Itaska
Aspirant
Aspirant

ADDITION TO MY ORIGINAL MSG.

My router thinks the Hub is turned off.  HUB lights are all (3) green.

The list below is what the router is reporting 

MAC Address 02:0f:b5:f9:42:bd
Name unknown020fb5f942bd
Last Activity Thu Sep 22 03:10:29 2022
Status off
Allocation pending
Connection Type Wi-Fi
5 GHz Radio-2
Type: Home
Name: DMA
Connection Speed
Mesh Client No

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Itaska wrote:

My router thinks the Hub is turned off.  HUB lights are all (3) green.

The list below is what the router is reporting 

MAC Address 02:0f:b5:f9:42:bd
Name unknown020fb5f942bd

Can you double-check the mac address?  I'm asking for 2 reasons:

1. the mac address you posted is not assigned to any manufacturer.  All my Arlo equipment has mac addresses that are either assigned to Netgear or (more recently) Arlo.
  2. Your screenshot shows that the device is connecting by 5 gHz  WiFi, but the base station can only connect via ethernet.

There should be a label on the base (perhaps the bottom) that shows the mac address.

Itaska
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

The MAC on the unit is 8C3BADF942BD. The router thinks it is 02:0f:b5:f9:42:bd. I didn't catch that because I was cutting corners and only using the last 4 digits. 🙂

I totally agree the WiFi info should not be there (I did notice that and ran the router internal ethernet diags).

I forgot to add that as part of the initial troubleshooting I did replace the ethernet cable.using different router ports.

Your observation of the different MAC addresses has caused me to conclude that the Hub is at fault.

What do you think?

Frank

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Itaska wrote:

Your observation of the different MAC addresses has caused me to conclude that the Hub is at fault.

What do you think?

I'd disconnect the ethernet, and confirm that the connection you see in the router goes away.  Maybe also try rebooting the network (any extenders/mesh elements and the router).

Itaska
Aspirant
Aspirant

After removing the hub and refreshing the router device list and rebooting the network,  I am happy to report that the entry in the router device list for the hub is gone.

Itaska
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am doing a hard reset of the hub.  I will get back to you in a little bit with the results.  I have to remember how to connect the hub & cameras.  🙂

Itaska
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well that was quick.  No change.  I think I will hit Amazon for a new (used) hub.

Itaska
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to thank you for your help on this.  It has been a very pleasant experience and if I ever need some ARLO help I can only hope you are around.  

vpasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am also having problems with camera access after 9/22/22 firmware update to my base station VMB4000.  When I first open the app, I can access 1(any choice but only 1) of 7 cameras, but the rest do not respond.  If I close the app and re-launch, I again can access ONLY 1 OF 7 CAMERAS (any choice but only 1).  In other words, I have to shut down the app and re-launch every time, but PRIOR TO THE FIRMWARE UPDATE, I COULD ACCESS ANY OF THE 7 CAMERAS AT ANY TIME.  What’s going on?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted the base?

vpasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sure did, several times. No change. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHile not fun, it may be fastest to remove all devices from your account and start fresh.

vpasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I am very unwilling to even attempt that since I had a horrible experience in the past with the wired doorbell, when I did a full system re-boot (like you suggest) and I could never get the doorbell to reconnect.  I eventually ended up buying a new one, and it connected and still does work perfectly (I forgot to mention that), it’s only the wireless cams and the floodlight cams this is happening with, so maybe I will try it with just them.  All this because of a base station firmware update - I thought firmware updates are to fix bugs, not create them.  UGH!