Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
johnesk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am planning to purchase the product for few of abondoned building that I own.

There are quite of "urban explores" & local high school students who trepass all the time. 

There are currently no wifi or electrcity service in the building.

Can Arlo camera record and store it in the external harddrive without wifi and electrcity? 

I am willing to swap out batteries time to time. 

I also don't need to see the live feed but would like to see the recording when people trespass.  

I really like the feature that it alarms when there are motion/sound with the base. 

Thanks for all the advice in advance!

EDIT: I am willing to get a mobile spots device for the cameras. 

7 REPLIES 7
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
arlo pro go
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You'll need electricity for the base station

pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
it run off LTE cellar network no basestation for the go version
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

In addition to the answers above here is a little more explanation.

The Arlo Pro Cameras do require the "mains powered" Base Station to be in realtivly close vicinity to the cameras with the addition of a wired Ethernet connection to a router. So this is not ideal for your situation with no power or internet. Perhas there is a another building close by that has these facilities where the owner may be prepared to rent them to you for a monthly charge? This would probably be a much cheaper option than the Arlo GO over time.

The Arlo Go cameras work anywhere where you have cellular coverage although I would recommend the placement to be in a relatively strong signal area to prevent streaming dropouts etc. You will then only be required to visit the camera every X months or weeks depending on how often the camera is triggered and how much is recorded. I do not believe there are any ‘real world’ battery stats out there yet. But if performance is similar to the Arlo and Arlo Pro then it should be pretty good. Also as the Arlo Go works via cellular networks only there will also be a chare incurred there, I am not sure if Netgear, not sure of the cost but this will probably be a monthly charge, so be prepared for that also should you take this route.

Is the building in question secure, will the cameras be secured inside or will the cameras be accessible to people on the property without having the break and enter? I am only asking as if not then you may find they do not last very long once placed.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
johnesk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had not noticed the Arlo Go camera. Thank you everyone for the suggestion. 

To answer your question, camera will be sercured inside of the building. 

Planning to have few fake outdoor security camera around the property as well. 

Another question I have is, does Arlo Go work with verizon? 

I could not find any information regarding this. Can I potentially put any sim card and wouldn't it work? 

Thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The current model is AT&T ( gsm ) soon to be released(( early 2017 ))  , there is/are plans for the Verizon ( cdma/LTE ) version but i don't believe the Verizon version due out the same time as the AT&T but a later date

( they have a sign up on verizon's page for info on the GO from them )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------