Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Battery

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

Is there more of a battery drain if you leave the camera(s) in live mode?

3 REPLIES 3
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

Do you mean Live as is in Live Streaming or Live as is Armed?

If streaming then absolutely as you are constantly sending the live stream to the base and if it is night time you may also be using the IR LED Illuminators which drain power. In this state the batteries will drain quire rapidly. You always have the option to connect the power adapter to them to keep a constant supply form the mains.

If you mean Armed then also yes as the cameras will be using the IR motion sensors or microphone to try and detect movement or sound. However if used for 8/10 hours a day with only a few triggers in this period recording for 15 seconds then depending on what quality mode you have set and the distance to the Base Station you should still get between 2 and 5 months’ worth on a battery charge. Well I say this as a comparison to the original Arlo with replaceable batteries, I have not had the Pro long enough to give an informed opinion but after 10 days all my Pro Cameras still state 100% battery life but I assume that they probably do not decrease on 1% increments, perhaps 10% increments at a guess.

You should use them as intended, if the area needs to be monitored then arm the cameras and do not arm cameras that hold no benefit in being in that state. Create a few modes and schedules that may allow you to simply set it to Schedule and leave it running. Time will tell how the batteries fare and if you may perhaps need to amend the Modes/Schedule.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Chillmiester wrote:

Is there more of a battery drain if you leave the camera(s) in live mode?

Yes, a LOT. The batteries would be lucky to last a few days if constantly livestreaming. They, in fact, cannot be left like this and timeout after a while

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Power usage level from more to less;

Recording/viewing at night with IR on ( most highest drain )

Recording/viewing at day

Armed  mode ( little, to run the PIR )

Disarmed mode ( almost null )

* recording or viewing use the same amount of power

In spec use should get about 4 months ( best video ) on OEM, about 2 months on rechargeables ( spec use being <5 mins per day )

* little use cameras of < 1 min week can achive 9-10 months on OEM cells

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------