Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Netgear has absolutely no control/knowledge about their own RMA process (BE CAREFUL)

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bb1980
Aspirant
Aspirant
Guys,

If you're thinking to buy Arlo PRO, think twice, because if you need technical support/RMA you will be in trouble (especially if abroad), here's a summary of my case.

Summary of the problem: One of the cameras that came in the pack is not syncing with the base. After three resets on the base station I was finally able to connect it. However the camera stays online for 5-10 minutes and then goes offline. I open the back of the camera, remove the battery, put it back again, then it blinks the blue led rapidly, goes online for 5 minutes and then offline again.

Because of that, I contacted Netgear's support, here's how my saga started:

1) Contacted support describing the issue and informing that I had an Arlo PRO Product. I spent 1-2 days with back and questions/answers with the technician from Netgear trying to troubleshooting the wrong product (Arlo, and NOT Arlo PRO). Note that I've clearly indicated what was my product in the description of the product. Finally, you identified that it was as hardware problem and indicated a RMA (that would be made in the US).

2) As I live in Brazil and had an imminent trip to the US, we tried to arrange the RMA locally in the US.

4) First response was that a new camera unit would be sent out to my address in the US. At that moment there would be NO need to send the bad unit before, as informed to the Netgear technician.

5) One day later the same guy updated the ticket, he realized that ithe procedure was wrong, and that now I'd need to send the bad unit before receiving the new one. The excuse given was that for some states the previous procedure was the correct one.

6) Considering the above, the RMA was opened by Netgear. However neither I, nor Netgear had any view about what was going on. The Netgear technician put a note on the ticket that the swap of the bad camera by the new one would need to be made 'live' but no one ever acknowledge that, saying "yes", "no" or "maybe". We had not idea if someone was acting on that RMA (neither Netgear, they say that it's not "under their control"). Note that all this started THREE WEEKS before my trip, so there would be plenty of time to receive a feedback (negative or positive). When I arrived at my destination in the US, there were no cameras, no contact, no note, not even a visit from anyone from Netgear. Mission failed, I left the US with the bad camera.

7) Back home, surprisingly I was informed by NetGear's technician that the RMA could be made locally in Brazil! What a surprise! Why this was not told before?? Got an email from rma@netgear.com with instructions in Portuguese (too good to be true). Well, I followed all the instructions strictly sending via postal service the bad unit to the informed address. Again, all went wrong... Three days later, the local post service returned the same bad unit camera with the message 'recipient moved out'.

😎 Now the last update Netgear's technician gave me is that the RMA can be made in Colombia (I will not even comment about that, remember that I am based in Brazil) or in the US.

Netgear support is a joke, nobody has any idea about how a RMA process works nor control of the process; this is unacceptable for such a "premium" product.

The ticket (#27985788) was opened on Jan/26th/2017 and till today I don't have a resolution for my case. Netgear should be shamed for such a ridiculous support.

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bb1980,

I apologize for the frustrating support experience. I have reviewed your case and it appears it has already been escalated. I will continue to monitor your case and provide any additional feedback that I can.

Feel free to reach out to me further in you need additional assistance.

JamesC

bb1980
Aspirant
Aspirant
James,

Thanks for your concern. You should have my email for direct contact, you can reach me directly if you prefer.

Bruno