Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Useage time

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
I purchased the Arlo Pro and within a week I had to charge all the batteries. Since I only have one charger it took agile for them to fully charge. This seems like it's going to be a big weekly task to do.

Is this common for them to be good for a week??
15 REPLIES 15
Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
Sorry about typo.....Took awhile
Streak2
Master Master
Master

No this is not common. I have some still running after a few months, one by my front door which gets a fair amount of traffic. Mine are set to the highest resolution. Where are cameras mounted (how far from the base) and how much traffic a day do they see IE. how many minutes of recordings? Specs are based on 5 minutes of recordings per day (30x10s recordings).

What are your record times set to? Default is 10s.

Let's check all of those first before trying a reset and re-install.

Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
They record at 10 seconds. One camera does see traffic, maybe 10 cars a day. Whereas the others don't. I have the audio off and cameras set to optimized settings. I do get the notifications letting me know there is movement.
Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
Oh and there is one camera in the back, far from base. That one camera doesn't get much movement and it was at 34% power by end of week.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a battery installed on 12-16 and it shoots 7-9 15sec vids a day sitting at 53%   , so to drain in one week isn't normal.

As to the back camera , the sugnal could be weak, draining the battery more...check the signal level on the little wifi icon or in settings

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
On the batteries you use, is it the same one that came with the cameras?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Pro batteries are only available from Netgear. I know of no others.
Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
Ok I was just making sure I didn't need to get something else. So I've been trying to not use the cameras as much. I turn them off st certain times of the day/night. Maybe that will help. Thanks all
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The total number of minutes of recording and live view should be <5 minutes per day to maximize battery life.  Are you doing this?  If not, what kinds of totals are you seeing? The connection to the base is also important - weak signal or interference leads to shorter battery life due to the struggle to maintain the connection.

Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
This week I turn off cameras because someone has been there. I turn them back on at night. Some nights I get about 5 recordings. I believe what may be causing battery drainage is getting notifications when there is movement and then going on app to check what's going on.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
How do you turn them off? Hopefully it's not by turning the base off which causes the cameras to try to connect to the now non-existent base.
Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
I turn them off on the app
Streak2
Master Master
Master

"going on app to check what's going on" If you are using live view to do this, do you remember to hit the pause button to switch off live view once you are done looking?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Switching tabs or leaving the app _should_ cause live view to stop. No guarantees, though.

Takeya2017
Tutor
Tutor
No I haven't been hitting the pause button. I didn't know I needed to. I watch the recordings. Then when I'm in love view I just close the app. Maybe that's what's going on.