Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Upgrading from Arlo wireless Camera VMC3030

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Charles144
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm looking to upgrade from Arlo wireless Camera VMC3030 (4 Qty.) and Base Station VMB 3000, as two of my cameras have quit working.  I'm not interested in adding cloud storage at this time, as we've been storing the video clips through the base station and the app, clearing them off weekly and would like to continue doing so.  I've started looking at the Arlo Pro 4 (and either 3 or 4 Qty.), and want to know how well the Arlo Pro 4 cameras will work without the cloud storage, and if they will work will I need a new base station... 

Thanks,

Charles Gross

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Charles144 wrote:

as we've been storing the video clips through the base station and the app, clearing them off weekly and would like to continue doing so. 

We should clarify this.  All the recordings you are seeing in today are stored in the Arlo cloud.  The reason you see them is because the VMC3030 was sold with 7 days of cloud storage. New cameras aren't sold with that.

Options are 

1. Purchase used legacy cameras like the Pro or Pro 2 to replace the VMC3030s that have failed.
  2. Get current cameras like the Pro 4 w/o a base station, and get a subscription
  3. Get current cameras like the Pro 4 with a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub, and use direct access to local storage.
  4. Get current cameras like the Pro 4 with a compatible base, and still get a subscription.

Option (3) is possible, but there are a lot of caveats.  The user experience isn't the best (and would be worse than what you have now).

Note the VMB3000 isn't compatible with any of the current cameras:

Charles144
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful