Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ysu
Luminary
Luminary

The purpose of this thread is to track multiple reports of the popular issue: false alarms after live view or legit motion during night vision.

As customers who spent $$$ on this product, we need Netgear to understand this is not an isolated issue. They need to take actions and stop bouncing customers back and forth with their standard troubleshooting policy, slowly...

The following threads have exactly same issue reported, with all factors matched:

1) night vision on

2) after live view or legit motion

3) multiple false alarms afterwards

4) the only resolved cases were by replacing cameras by Netgear

Arlo Pro Nightvision Issue
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-Nightvision-Issue/m-p/1176183#U1176183

4XH16C7UA9955 - recording without motion [originator just confirmed it's only with night vision]
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/4XH16C7UA9955-recording-without-motion/m-p/1219762#U121976...

Motion alerts are non stop at night. Arlo Pro
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Motion-alerts-are-non-stop-at-night-Arlo-Pro/m-p/1196788#U...

Outdoor camera detects motion constantly at night
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Outdoor-camera-detects-motion-constantly-at-night/m-p/1219...

Arlo Pro Night Vision constant motion activation and no night vision
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-Night-Vision-constant-motion-activation-and-no-ni...

Motion detected nonstop
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Motion-detected-nonstop/m-p/1217969#U1217969

The following threads are related issues, but might or might not be the same issue, as some factors are not confirmed. E.g., some didn't mention night vision:

motion detection sends false alerts
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/motion-detection-sends-false-alerts/m-p/1219951#U1219951

Arlo pro will not reset motion sensor. The motion icon stays orange
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-pro-will-not-reset-motion-sensor-The-motion-icon-stay...

Arlo pro camera senativity issues
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-pro-camera-senativity-issues/m-p/1217907#U1217907

Netgear, if you are reading, there's something wrong with this otherwise great product. This is not an isolated issue. Stop asking customers to go thru a nearly 2 week troubleshooting process (like you did to me, case #27976415) and still only want to RMA 1 camera at a time when multiple cameras have issues -- experience shows even with RMA, you might need to get it right in multiple rounds, because Netgear hasn't figured out the root cause so every swap is just a random hit or miss. We spent $$$ on this product and many of us like it, but this issue is driving lots of frastration.

I, for one, am seriously considering returning the product to Bestbuy at end of this week (within 15 days) if your support doesn't move faster.

129 REPLIES 129
jbann16
Guide
Guide

After waiting on hold for 40 minutes, I was told that the "lead" that my issue was escalated to was not in and I'd get a call back when he/she arrives. I'm calling again now. This is unbelievable. 

FastMhz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Make sense why so many people have poor battery life, at night the unit is notifying us constantly throughout the night.
Theseanz1
Aspirant
Aspirant
The issue must be connected to the IR lights. I let my dogs out tonight and the camera alerted to movement and recorded my 30 second clip (black and white clip). I also have a motion activated security light in my backyard.

I got a second motion alert when I let my dogs in. At this point, because the security light was on the IR lights were not activated. The clip stopped recording while the IR were off (full color video). I did not get repeat false alarms.
ysu
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, the issue only happens when nightvision (PIR) is on. Some component got a false trigger somehow. If I turn off nightvision, problem goes away. But I can't see anything without nightvision during night 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, the PIR (passive IR) device is the motion sensor and has no specific connection with night vision.  The Night Vision toggle is simply for the IR illuminators.  Now, why turning off Night Vision affects the repeated recordings is unknown to us.  It appears to be a hardware issue since replacing the cameras can fix this (it did for me) but I suppose a firmware fix could work around a hardware interaction (sensitivity to the illuminators turning on?).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as a solution is confirmed.

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

As I've posted on one of those threads you listed, 1 of my 5 cameras is displaying this behavior, even when setup inside facing a wall.  Works fine during the day, but night vision enabled triggers constant video recording such that my battery dead by morning...

After submitting a case with Netgear, and a few exchanges with the support staff, I received this email:

I have checked your case and as I understand the camera is recording multiple false detection at night. We have this experimental firmware, a potential fix for this Night Vision false motion trigger problem.

If you are willing to participate, your base station would be sent a command that redirects its update environment to Experimental. It would be on that for 1 - 2 weeks, then please provide us a feedback on this.

If successful, after the right department deploy the code to production, your BS will be redirected back to that environment.

Please let me know if you are willing to participate

This would suggest that a firmware update may be able to correct the camera.... ?

Have any of you been asked to become 'experimental'?  Does this adversely affect functioning of the base station and other cameras?  Just curious before I commit...

FastMhz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does the NON pro version have this issue?
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
it does that 5 times every night false alarm every time even at 80% i cant see anyththing who trigger it.
Jaydog
Aspirant
Aspirant
Me too! Staring at nothing. Annoying.
bobbytextra
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, bought a one camera system plus an add on (since the sale price was cheaper than the two camera system).  The camera that came with base is having the issue whereas the add on is not.  Based on reading this (and other multiple threads) it doesn't seem as though that makes a difference.  I want to stay up to speed on this so posting here.  I'm going to try the uninstall/reinstall tactic and hope for the best, but I'm not optomistic.  Help us out James C!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as a solution is confirmed.

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James,

No offense intended - and we appreciate that you maintain a voice on these forums, but I'm sure you can understand how that stock answer is wearing a bit thin given how many months have gone by while all of us are forced to either use the malfunctioning cameras during daytime only or deal with trying to obtain replacement cameras

Do you at least know when they are pushing the 'experimental' firmware out?  As I mentioned in the master thread on this problem - I was asked to put my base station in 'experimental' mode in order to test a fix. When is that going to happen? 

If not soon, then I may just start the RMA process as I do not wish to wait more months before I can safely record at night...

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

I'm trying to follow all the issues with Nightvision, as my system exhibits the same system with multiple false triggers after a real trigger or simply viewing Live.  From what I'm reading they have identified the problem.  Does anyone know if this means firmware fixes or whether we have to package up the whole system for a replacement?  I really like the system for day time use, just wish it was as flawless at night...

paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Add me to the growing list with this exact problem.  

Just installed my the first cam from my 1 cam system + 1 add on. I get 4-5 false motion triggers for 2-3 minutes after remote live viewing the camera with night vision on. No issues during the day.

This is extremely annoying, and making me regret my $300+ purchase.

Here's another appeal to Arlo support (@JamesC) to please, please handle this case with more sympathy, expedience, and respect for us folks that shelled out a small forture for currently malfunctioning and useless hardware. Smiley Sad

pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
same issue 5 false on night time rest of camera are fine this going back to best buy get replacement
FastMhz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think the issue has been resolved.

It's dark outside, battery fully charged and I went ahead and did a live view and press paused and there was no false detection. 

I also did it again last night with 10% battery life and still it did not false detect.

paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not resolved for me. I had 9 straight false triggers after live viewing earlier this evening. Getting fed up with this.
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
i get only 3 false trigger on night time after hit live this camera going back to best buy get a replacment its defective unit
MightyMaik
Guide
Guide
Count me in... 😞

Case #28167367
plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

@ysu

Thanks for bringing up this compilation thread.

I purchased my 4-camera Pro set the day the Pros were released last year, and believe I was one of the early posters who noticed this problem.

My post from October 26, 2016: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Viewing-Live-triggers-a-recording-with-the-Pro-Cams/m-p/11...

Two of my cameras (of 5) have this issue of false motion detection at night, and FINALLY had the time to go through their RMA process.  I initially just thought it was glitchy, but now that so many others were reporting the problem, I decided to get mine swapped.

Yes, the Troubleshooting process was painful.  I barely have time during my busy work week to do all the testing, but went through it.

I too have 2 cameras that need swapping, but they gave me one RMA#.  HOPEFULLY when I ship them back two defective cameras, I will get 2 swapped cameras back.  😮

I assume we ship back the batteries as well right?  thx again.

blaisek
Aspirant
Aspirant
The troubleshooting process is painstaking, but I finally have 4 working cameras! Its best to call to expedite things vs emailing. Hopefully they resolve the issue soon and stop selling faulty cameras. The system is great overall once you work around this. Good luck to all.
MightyMaik
Guide
Guide
I know! They want me to do all these things, but nothing helps... and this isn't 1 person with an issue, it's a lot of people.

How was your problem fixed?
ThermoDyn
Star
Star

Just had this problem on an H8 Arlo Pro add on camera I bought from Best Buy in Mississauga. Got home, set it up, updated firmware and couldn't get the motion to stop detecting like crazy in low light conditions.

Took it back this morning and exchanged it (another H8) - updated firmware - this one is seems perfectly fine so far.

Chris

Jaydog
Aspirant
Aspirant
So some works better with H8 than others.