Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
cturboaddict
Tutor
Tutor

New User, just picked up the Arlo Pro 4 camera kit with base station on Friday and installed Saturday morning.

2 Quick Questions...

1. One camera on the side of my home at night is CONSTANTLY activated every other minute for motion and starts recording. There isn't any motion to activate it. Any tips? (I noticed there is two locations to modify motion sensitivity, but I'm unsure which one to adjust if not both if that is your suggestion). One is located under the cameras setting icon when looking at devices, the other is under the mode settings when looking at the armed mode. 

2. Other side of the house, I have placed really high and far back down my driveway. (Maybe 70' from street, and 18' up in the air). When night vision is on or live view during the night, All i see is BLACK except for the siding of my home. Is the night vision not working properly? Or do I need to drop the camera a little bit closer to the ground? Any other tips are appreciated.

See Photos Below

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New camera/base station firmware has been released resolving this issue. Please be sure your system is up to date with the latest firmware. See here: Release Notes

JamesC

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
ysu
Luminary
Luminary

Same here. Bought pro 4 camera set from bestbuy yesterday and all worked well except this problem. 

At night when night vision is on, doing a live view or a legit motion seem to trigger false alarm at least 5-10 minutes afterwards. It eventually settles but annoying. Some suggested hardware issue but I haven't had a chance to swap and verify. 

Lots if similar reports in forum already. Hope to see a firmware update to solve that. Really nice system except this issue. 

To add: I'm facing camera towards my house from backyard fence. So at night the wall looks quite bright in night vision. Not sure if that's causing some IR reflection or something. I will also adjust angle to see if it happens again. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

(Maybe 70' from street, and 18' up in the air). When night vision is on or live view during the night, All i see is BLACK except for the siding of my home. 

These are BATTERY powered IR illuminators... thay have a usable range of 20 ft +/- ( with inverse sq law as to lighting )... so you not going to see much out to 70ft away

You can;

1) use regular flood lights as the Pro work fairly well in low light levels,

2) use external IR floods if you want to stay covert

3) cover less area.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
cturboaddict
Tutor
Tutor

I have the geek squad added, and I'm an elite member at Best Buy, so I have 30 days to return. But, I'd like to just swap the one camera not the entire kit. That is, if its a camera issue..... I opened a support ticket on Arlo, going to call today both best buy and Arlo.

cturboaddict
Tutor
Tutor

Maybe I was just hoping for more for the pricetag from these. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this issue. Can you confirm you still see the same behavior when audio is disabled for the camera?

Consider disabling or reducing audio sensitivity and test to see if you get the same results:

How do I change the audio sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select the desired camera > Audio Settings > toggle off speaker and microphone

JamesC

cturboaddict
Tutor
Tutor

I didn't test the microphone off function. But I did take the cameras back to Best Buy. The two I had trouble with were replaced with no questions. Haven't had the issue since. The only Issue I'm having now is one of the cameras gets really shotty night vision. 

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

JamesC, when I had this issue, audio detection wasn't even on. Lowering senstivity also didn't seem to make a difference.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update with more information as soon as I can. We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

cturboaddict
Tutor
Tutor

FYI- After 17 days and the issue being escalated to a LVL 2 rep at Netgear Arlo Support. Arlo has offered to replace one of the cameras at my shipping expense. I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
I have this LVL 2 Tech checking with his boss as to what they are going to do. Because there is no way that I will be paying for return shipping of an item. I can return it on my own Leoni Expert ID 8319 was rude and told me they needed my credit card information. I will not provide that info for something that was not my fault!

I will return the entire kit. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

For Netgear Management, that is horrible customer service and I had to speak up about that. 

cturboaddict
Tutor
Tutor

To top it off, Leoni hung up on me when reqesting to speak to his manager. 

This is the customer service you will receive from ARLO Netgear LVL 2 reps. 

Horrible horrible service. I'm disgusted at this point. The cameras could show me the way to the end of the rainbow's pot of gold and I wouldn't care at this point. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cturboaddict,

I apologize for the poor experience. I will reach out to you in a private message to offer further assistance.

JamesC

Ghenley
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue with Arlo Pro camera detecting motion almost constantly in night vision. Camera works great in day mode though. Is there a fix for this yet?
Tadabee128
Tutor
Tutor
Having same issue, already replaced one camera at my own expense and still the same issue. I'm willing to try another camera but not at my own expense! Paid $16 the first time. This issue is really starting to be a deal breaker.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as a solution is confirmed.

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

cturboaddict
Tutor
Tutor

I know it's no help of now. But I highly suggest purchasing from Best Buy vs anywhere else for the Arlo kits. I paid a little extra for the geek squad and Best Buy's customer service is bar none in comparison to the horrid that is NetGear's Tech Management team..

With that being said, this forum and James are top notch. Just good luck with customer service at Netgear. 

Tadabee128
Tutor
Tutor
Any update to this? It's still driving my family nuts.
GRV
Tutor
Tutor
How far is the camera from the base station? May it 10 ft.
Put video to default setting don't zoom it.
GRV
Tutor
Tutor
Make it 10 ft.
Tadabee128
Tutor
Tutor
My closest camera is the one giving me the problems. Only at night. About 30' away
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team has a fix for this issue that is currently being tested. Once testing is complete, this fix will be available as a firmware update.

I do not currently have an ETA for when this firmware will be available but we are hoping to release it very soon.

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

GRV
Tutor
Tutor
Face the camera to the wall or place inside the box, then observe if there's activities or motion detection going on. If there's activities call netgear support. For no night vision go to setting then video setting hit reset 🙏
cturboaddict
Tutor
Tutor

Where did you buy your cameras at? Reason I ask, is the Netgear Customer Support (NOT THE ONLINE FORUM HERE) is pretty horrid. 
Ultimately, I returned mine to Best Buy and they replaced them no questions asked on the spot. I don't have any issues now. But I did find that if you have a camera in a spot where there is low ambient light, at a far distance such as your placement..... They just don't work right at all. 

GRV
Tutor
Tutor
I purchased my Arlo Pro 2 @ Best Buy too. It's better to buy Arlo Pro 1 then buy add on camera so that you have extra power adaptor and you can save around $20.00
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New camera/base station firmware has been released resolving this issue. Please be sure your system is up to date with the latest firmware. See here: Release Notes

JamesC