Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MB63
Tutor
Tutor

Can somebody please explain to me why the Arlo Pro base unit plus four cameras is on Amazon.com for USD649 while the only two Australian suppliers (Harvey Norman and JB) are charging AUD1399? By my calculation that is an extra USD350 / AUD460 when the only difference between the two products is going to be the power cable (approximate cost $2).

This blatant gouging of potential Australian customers is both insulting and enough to make me go elsewhere. Even if I have to pay more. Nobody likes being ripped off.

4 REPLIES 4
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

Probably because the two Australian suppliers can set any price they want and sell on Amazon. It's not Amazon or Netgear, it's a 3rd party vender selling the units.

MB63
Tutor
Tutor

This is a "recommended retail price" set by Netgear in collusion with the retailers. It works because Amazon and suppliers working through them are restricted from supplying their products in Australia.

There is no reason for such a massive price discrepancy. It is holding the consumer to ransom by restricting supply. Netgear should reconsider its position. The web is already full of shouting about price-gouging of this type and it does manufacturers not good at all in the long run to be associated with this sort of rip-off.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Just a guess here since that's sometimes the reason here in Canada for price differences.

Coul it be that the Australian government has slapped import duties on the Arlo and thats being passed on to the buyer?

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary

Hey guys you need to look at us in UK, totally peeved that the 4 pack is £820 when equivalent from US is £500 totally ripped off in UK, I tweeted netgear for responce but never got a reply. If your in USA you can get 5 cameras for less money than 4 in UK!