Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

jjs4653
Star
Star

Has anyone experienced pixelating video in the first 2-3 seconds of the recorded video.  It happens every time for me.  It has great reception  full Wifi bars... and does not happen with my original Arlo camera.. just with the new Pro.

450 REPLIES 450
Carrie269
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, Manofice, for the link to the other thread, but my issue of the camera sensing motion and turning on every 2-3 minutes doesn't happen at night.  It only happens during the day.  Interestingly, what I think I'm finding (again today) is that whenever I open one of these videos, there is sound at the beginning of the video that sounds like wind hitting a microphone.  I'm wondering if that wind/sound is turning on the motion detector (and, no, I don't have the camera set up to turn on video when it detects audio).  I tried attaching an example video using the film strip/play icon above but it only asks me for a URL.  I have the video saved in a file on my desktop and can upload from there but I don't have a website where I can post.  

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
A side note I need some advice or user experience with using a powerline adapter vs a wifi range extender with the Arlo. I search the forum but couldn't find many threads on this subject. I want to relocate the base station closer to the Pro camera and in a more central location in my home. To see if it helps with getting rid of the pixelation. Preferably on the second floor near the stairs.

My router (R7800) provides great coverage throughout my home so I think a range extender might be over kill or just add more 2.4GHz interference.

The powerline adapter is what I'm leaning towards. Is anyone using this method currently with the Arlo base station? Any issues? I can make a new thread of this is derailing the topic.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Mykalika: I would start a new topic. But i'll chime in that I use a netgear extender as a WIRED access point and it works great. My house has wired ethernet throughout though, which it sounds like yours isn't.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
@Carrie269 - you can post an image or video using the desktop version of the forums by clicking on the mountain with sun icon (image) or filmstrip icon (video) just above the text box. It sounds like you used the chain icon which is for posting a link.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

mykalikai: I watched your video's, and I went back and just watch a bunch more of mine today and they are near perfect. I would definetly try and see if you can move your base a little closer to see if it helps. I'm very satisified with the firmware update as it pertains to fixing the pixelation. 

MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm having the same issue with my Arlo pro cam with video pixelation--its worst on motion detection then on manual recordings--I know it has nothing to do with my connection speeds,I have 220mbps on downloads & 23mbps on upload speeds--and I know it has nothing to do with distance or range because I have tested the arlo pro cam being right next to my base station and have the same video pixelation on recordings--my original Arlo cams DO NOT DO THIS..
Mark H..
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Mark, are you cameras on the newest firmware that just got released?
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
dont basestation has 128bMB buffer ram
MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes I have the latest firmware on my arlo pro cam-
(1.090.0.1_11011)
Mark H..
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Mark, can you post a video to show what you are seeing?

Carrie269
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, gang... There are only two ways to upload a video or image.  The sun and mountains icon is only for images like jpegs or PNGs and doesn't allow me to upload video.  When I choose the video icon (film strip with play button in center), it only allows me to link to a site on the web (and not upload from a folder on my desktop).  I have a number of video mp4 clips that I'd like to upload but I can't figure out the way to do this given the limitations of the choices.  If I'm totally misunderstanding the previous advice, please let me know how I can make that work.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Carrie, upload to YouTube and post the link.
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
so far no pixel still got current firmware 1.090.0.1_9945
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Pcuser; that's interesting... maybe it wasn't the firmware, but the AWS data center outage? Or maybe they made server changes? Can JamesC say if any changes were made?
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
netgear doesn't have there own server they use Amazon cloud its been rented out https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/03/02/amazon-cloud-outage/%3Fsource%3Ddam
i know basesation has 128 Mb Ram im not sure they buffer to the ram or strem directly upload video net
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
so far it better than before very few pixel
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Pcuser12345, I know that, i've stated numerious times about netgear using AWS. But that outage required reboots to fix the issue, who knows if any of that fixed our issues. You stated your camera isn't on the new firmware and it's having little pixelation...so ...I don't know what helped alleviate the pixelation. 

Carrie269
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here are the YouTube videos that show Arlo issues.  I think that ARLO should have the ability to upload video directly rather than have to post to YouTube, but that's just my opinion.  

I came home after waling the dogs and I walked all the way up the driveway to the front door and put a passcode in the door lock, opened the door and started to walk through before ARLO motion detection picked me up.  

https://youtu.be/4EWKFSmI3e4

In this video, the UPS guy walked up the driveway and put a box down in front of my door and he was walking away before ARLO picked him up.  

https://youtu.be/vSMTqvZpFLs

In this video, the UPS guy walking all the way up the driveway to the door and was walking back to his truck before ARLO picked him up. 

https://youtu.be/vaGldEGgzgE

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I suspect it's partly distance, partly obstacles and partly camera location. I'd move the camera closer if at all possible. We can't see what's on the other side but it may be an option.
Carrie269
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm still getting a lot of false triggers from the camera above my garage.  An example is below.

False motion tripped.

https://youtu.be/Fgvfo0CfHVE

This is another example of a different UPS guy today where it picked him up at the door putting the packages down.

https://youtu.be/e9TijXpOkB8

This is a good example of pixilation.  Same UPS guy today, different camera/ different angle.  

https://youtu.be/Ybyk7y1itaE

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
Moved my base station closer to the Pro camera, hoping it would help. Most videos actually look worse. Some look okay, kind of a mixed bag unfortunately. I hope they roll out another firmware update.
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
basestation firmwarw and camera are up to date
Carrie269
Aspirant
Aspirant

The frustration was too much for too long for me so yesterday I ordered a Nest Outdoor Cam.  It arrived this morning so I spent about 30 mins installing it.  It was easy and it worked flawlessly.  1080p video, 24/7 live stream video. I can set zones to get alerts and zones not to get alerts.  I have playback, can save a video clip, and I'm not missing anything due to laggy motion detectors or intermitent WiFi connectivity issues.  Since I've had it up, I feel confident that I'm not going to miss anything and the video is very clear.  Night vision, audio, microphone, etc.  Yes, there's a subscription: $100 for first camera and $50 for each additional camera per year.  I don't know about you, but I spend $100/month on a cleaning service, $100/year on access to Photoshop, and $100/week on food.  Spending $150-200 per YEAR is not much for the ability of this service to be able to differentiate between a person walking by and a leaf or a dog walking by.  My ARLO would turn on the motion detection because of rain!  Anyway, I'm done with ARLO - at least outside.  I actually ordered a second Nest Outdoor Cam today and will install it in the back tomorrow.  I'll likely still use some of the ARLO cameras inside since they work pretty good inside.  I just needed a higher level of confidence with the outdoor cameras than I was getting with ARLO.  Good luck to you all as you work through these issues!  

pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
so far gotten firmware camera update and base station, pixel are minor its not perfect but better than before.
starfall
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue with the Arlo Pro I just purchased. I replaced the old Arlo with this Pro version hoping for better videio quality. It's very disappointed that every video the Pro recorded are ghosting and pixelated. The Arlo Pro is mounted at the exact same location as the old Arlo. Netgear, please fix this.