Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pixelated video Arlo Pro

jjs4653
Star
Star

Has anyone experienced pixelating video in the first 2-3 seconds of the recorded video.  It happens every time for me.  It has great reception  full Wifi bars... and does not happen with my original Arlo camera.. just with the new Pro.

450 REPLIES 450
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
i haven the pro too mine does that too also and recording time i set it to 15 sec it randomly 1 to 13 it suppose to be 15 sec
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just checked a few videos from today and pixelation is pretty bad on them. I'm starting to go back to my original thought that it is a server/datacenter issue. It seemed that the pixelation got better after that AWS outage, and it just so happened we had a firmware update pushed around the same time.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/30FAE44CBD0DDD05_201703

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here my Pro videos looked better for a day or two after the FW update, but now they are back to pixelation. Moving the base station closer to my Pro camera didn't help. Maybe something with how the servers handle the Pro cameras data vs the original cameras? Compressing / un-compressing audio/video vs just video alone? My original cameras work great really happy with them.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
When we had the AWS outage, it's very possible load balances shifted us to US servers or something along those lines and that why we saw improvement, but yeah... pixelation is fully back. Wish netgear would speak on this.
Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the same thing going on..
https://youtu.be/Eb10f64xHy0
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pixelated/distorted video is often caused by poor camera connection with the base station. This could be due to wireless interference or range. If you are still experiencing this issue after relocating the camera/eliminating nearby sources of WiFi interference as troubleshooting steps, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
James C,
I wish that was true..my Arlo pro does the same thing when its right next to the base station...FYI-I had my original Arlo 1st Generation Camera in the same spot/location and it DID NOT HAVE THIS VIDEO PIXELATION/lag issue..WHAT IS GOING ON...I wanted to buy 2 more Pro cam's but will not BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE..
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Netgear still refuses to admit there camera's have a problem. They just want to blame the consumer.
Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice

Now that I know that there is a donate button I will be able to share 90% of my pixilated video's with Netgear and Arlo - have fun with that Arlo!

Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like I just got some new Firmware!! I'll test and keep everyone posted -

Base:  1.8.9.0_11528

Cameras (H8) : 1.092.0.1_11504

pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
new firmwarw is out now
MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
Are those firmware updates for everyone..?
If so I haven't received notification for them yet..sure hope these updates fix Video pixelation issue..
Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice
MarkH try and restart your base..
MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok..I'm restarting thur the app..
MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
Restarting my base station worked..
My Arlo pro cam H8 is now on:1.092.0.1_11504
But My base is only on: 1.8.8.0_11528
I'm guessing because my base is the 1st generation base station not an Arlo pro base station..would I be right?
MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just did a daytime 35sec's motion detection clip and it is WAY BETTER..looks like this firmware update has fixed the video pixelation/blur/lag/skipping..Way to GO Netgear...
Lets see how night video clips work ..
MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
Update on Video pixelation--did some night time video clips and still had some pixelation and lagging..So it does not look like the lastest firmware has fixed Video pixelation issue..
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
That firmeware update had no relation to the pixelation issue. JamesC, come on ma ... aside from the false trigger issue, this is now the next biggest issue... there is 10 pages here, we aren't making this up and it's not interfence. We just had a random few days where we all had no pixelation, and then it suddenly came back for all of us... it has to be data center related.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Well said and I agree totally
Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice

manofice - 

So I was having trouble with the pixelated video.. So over the past couple days I downloaded a WiFi analyzer to see if I was getting 2.4 infertence.. I ended setting my router 2.4 to Auto instead of picking a set channel.. this and the combination of the new firmware I have not had any problems for the past 24 hours but time will tell..

Feel free to reach out to me if I can make any other suggestions

MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
So were you getting any interfence?? I may try the router channel setting..but not sold on that because my 1st generation Arlo battery cam did not have this issue and as I said before my pro cam is in the exact SAME SPOT mounted to the exact same mount..
mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not wifi interference. If it was wifi interference then all my cameras would be affected. ONLY my one Pro camera has pixelation. It is the closest one to the base station, has three bars and pixelation in every recording. Original cameras on the back of my house have two bars, and ZERO pixelation. All I can do now is hit the donate video button, and hope for a fix. Also I tell any family, friends, or coworkers to avoid the Pro cameras.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not necessarily true if the interference is near your Pro camera.  An easy test is to swap cameras temporarily.  If it follows the camera, swap at the store or open a case with support.

Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why don't you try switching camera positions between your Arlo HD and Arlo Pro cameras? Also just because the camera is closer does not mean that it will have less interference - I believe it matters what is in between the cameras and the base to cause this..

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
Already tried all that. I had an original camera in the same position, on the front porch, ZERO pixelation. Worked great. I put the Pro camera there and EVERY video pixelates. ONLY the Pro camera has pixelation. I posted youtube videos a few pages back detailing this. Now, the only thing in between the base station and the Pro camera is one wall/window. My entire house (4,000sqft) is now in between the base station and my original cameras. Original cameras work great. I wouldn't even be on here if I didn't buy the one Pro version.

Exchanging for another Pro camera that is going to do the same thing is not a fix. If you read this thread others have already tried that.