Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pixelated video Arlo Pro

jjs4653
Star
Star

Has anyone experienced pixelating video in the first 2-3 seconds of the recorded video.  It happens every time for me.  It has great reception  full Wifi bars... and does not happen with my original Arlo camera.. just with the new Pro.

450 REPLIES 450
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

JamesC: I have a suggestion about the donating video's, it would probably be more value add if there was a comment section when donating these video's, as to WHY we are donating them. Otherwise Netgear has to just guess.

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
jguerat: If it is "2.4GHz" or "wifi" interference that could be affecting the Pro cameras why is it not affecting my first gen cameras? You kept stating this in your posts, but it's not making much sense. Why is the interference selective?Please explain.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's lots of variables here that you'll have to work trough on your own.  The issue I'm raising, and I'm not saying it's the only possibility, could be explained that the Pro cameras have a different sensitivity threshold to any interference (or not) or that something is different - location, some device having been introduced or moved, etc.  There's no gurantee that such interference is the actual issue, just one that folks don't know is a possibility or that is dismissed without investigation.

Obviously, it could also be bad hardware or some other issue that has to be determined.  Just don't dismiss one possibility until proven that it's not the problem.  One thing to try here would be to swap Pro cameras around to see if the position remains the problem or the camera.

Slono
Guide
Guide

Referring to the psoter above, I've tried everything under the moon to get mine to stop pausing and pixelating.  Heck, I even got a new modem and faster internet subscription to see if it would work better and it hasn't.  I also moved my router to about 15 feet away from the camera that I felt it happened most frequently with and it made zero difference.  I'm not a technical guy, but out of logic this would rule out wifi interference.

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for the reply jguerat. I may try and move my base station closer to the Pro camera to see if it helps, but I'm not holding my breath. My other outside first gen cameras are further away from the base station than the Pro camera and work great. I uploaded a few more videos: 

All my Pro videos do this: 

Slono
Guide
Guide
Edit: I moved my router AND base station to about 15 minutes away.

Slono
Guide
Guide
Edit edit: 15 feet!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Slono - interference can be due to something close to the base, too.

Mykalikai - I see what you're saying. The base positioning may or may not help but it's worth a shot. Use a WiFi extender if necessary.

I get occasional pixelation like that but not too often.
mbauer
Apprentice
Apprentice
I replaced an original Arlo camera on my front porch with a Pro. Almost all of the video recordings have moderate pixelation and ghosting. I did not experience any of these issues with the original Arlo camera that was mounted in the exact same location. The base station (original) I'd located approximately 10 feet away.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Everyone should donate their pixalated video's using the online site. The more they have, the better chance we have to getting this fixed. I've sent a ton already.

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
^What is the site/link?
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just the normal web portal. Arlo.netgear.com  and then click on your video in the library and hit the donate button.

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yeah "Bug Fixes" and "Minor" so who knows what that means, lol.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
It could be a fluke or maybe the firmware update actually tweaked something, but... my pixalation is fixed it appears... or at least greatly improved. I don't know the exact time my cameras updated. I looked at some videos from this afternoon and tonight, one video had very very slight pixelation and the rest had none. My back side camera usually always pixelated when I would let my dogs out at night and I just checked the videos from a little awhile ago and the videos had zero pixelation.

What is everyone else seeing?
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
i see it fixed but i cant update latest firmware _9945
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Pcuser: if you have tried pulling the battery from the camera and rebooting your base station, I would contact support to troubleshoot your firmware issue.
mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
So far I see some improvement, but it is definitely not gone.
Carrie269
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can certainly move the base station using a WiFi extender but I am not hopeful this will solve all of the problems I'm having with my cameras out front. I have pixilation, ghosting, not picking up motion, not picking up motion until movement is late in the frame, video is initiated every 2-3 mins and shows no motion... I'm sure this may be true for others but I have a job that is not tech related that takes 100% of my time and attention and I just need a product to work. I first started with 4 Amcrest cameras and found that the way my house was built I couldn't run wire to the NVR. Then I purchased the ARLO system and it doesn't work as advertised. Then I purchased an Amcrest WiFi camera and it doesn't work unless it's connected to an Ethernet cable. I have been on the phone several times with Amcrest and I feel like I need to work in IT to get the Amcrest camera to work. That's why I liked Arlo so much - it seemed like a very user-friendly system. But it does not work as advertised. I just need a video system that works. I'm about ready to call ADT or one of those companies just to not have to deal with the frustration of all this. I just need a system that works. Any suggestions?
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Watching some more videos from this morning, it's definetly not 100% fixed but it's a great improvement. Whatever they changed, maybe they can tweak even further.

Carrie269
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interestingly, I believe the firmware update has helped my cameras with detecting motion and not detecting no motion.  Yesterday the front garage camera was detecting motion when there was none every 2-3 minutes, all day!  And this morning, it only detected motion when there was actual motion, and it's not going off every 2-3 minutes.  So, something has changed, which has helped.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Carrie269: Your issue more closley matches the issue in this thread

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-Nightvision-Issue/td-p/1176183/jump-to/first-unre...

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To give some people some insight to what i'm seeing pre and post firmware upgrade

Pre Firmware Upgrade a few days ago

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/5A46747A7BB26F9A_201703

Post firmware upgrade from today

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/64DAC840FD755BCE_201703

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I also see improvments,finally.
mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've donated a few videos since the update. Great feature and needs to be on the app asap. I hope they can continue to improve the performance in another firmware update. I still get pixelation but not as bad.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/C71F5AE1A65E08B8_201703

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/F2752B3C9F5F1488_201703