Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
NikPottala
Star
Star

I have an iPhone 8 running version IOS 13.1.2. 

I have the new Arlo App version 2.9.1 (1134) released September 19, 2019.  

I get no notifications via the iPhone.  I have rebooted the iPhone.  I removed the new Arlo app and reinstalled along with various variations of installing the legacy app first or last.  No Joy.   I notice when I delete the app, it doesn't get truly cleaned from the phone since when I reinstall it, it knows all my credentials and settings.

Frustrating to say the least.  I have an IPad that gives notifications properly but not sure why not on IPhone.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NikPottala
Star
Star

I spent almost three hours on chat. 

After that time working through different things I've already tried.  They suggested to reset network settings.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Low and behold!  I received a notification after that.  I think we're making progress after 25+ days.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi NikPottala,

Have you tried checking to see if you have push notifications turned on for the new Arlo app? You can go to iPhone Settings > Arlo > Toggle off and on Notifications to see if that helps. And make sure you don't have the Arlo Legacy app on your device to be sure the push notifications work on the new Arlo app.

NikPottala
Star
Star
Yes I’ve toggled in and off. I’ve fiddled with banners and other settings on that page just to see if any change might trigger a good result.

Arlo legacy has been removed for several days.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Are you using the default "Armed" mode or are you using custom/schedule mode? Try testing on default "Armed" mode if you're using other modes to see if that works. 

Sodone
Tutor
Tutor

I have had this problem for over a month, ever since installing the new app.  I may get a push notification once every three or four days, but we walk in front of the cameras at least 15 times a day. I have had to resort to e-mail notifications, which sometimes show up 30 minutes after there is camera activity, but it's better than nothing. The Arlo tech team has contacted me in an attempt to resolve the problem, but there has been no resolution. I have come to the conclusion that the only solution is to switch to another camera system. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Sodone,

Let me reach out to you via private message to gather information from you.

JRDobbins
Tutor
Tutor

Absolutely same issue...since iOS 13.1.2 and upgraded Arlo to 2.9.1, and having tried to adjust toggling in iOS notifications...as well as switching from Arlo “Scheduled to Armed,” as well as resynching all cameras, and rebooting all systems, including wireless router.  Nothing...absolutely nothing.  Removed Arlo program, and reloaded it. Same issue.

We can walk in front of camera, and no recognition...however, will false alert every 3- 5 min at nite, until I’m forced to turn it off.

Considering the fact that I’m waiting for a replacement camera, due to night vision failure on one of the cameras last month...this is proving to be fairly worthless.

A shame...since March of this year, and until this last month, it was a good system.

I’m outa ideas.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey JRDobbins,

If you're having problems where your push notifications are not working, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JRDobbins
Tutor
Tutor

Ha!

I tried to access your chat line, Due to a moderate amount of difficulty understanding the IT folks working from your contractor office in New Delhi.  

Received a message that “chat request was cancelled due to no agents available.”

Pretty sad customer service for an issue that obviously was instigated by your “software designers.”  A very expensive and sad issue, no less.

Wbogie
Initiate
Initiate
I’m having the same issue here for about a month thinking about getting a new brand
JRDobbins
Tutor
Tutor

Found the fix...set up a new account with another email...closed the old one, and lit up the new one.  Totally reprogrammed the entire POS.  All works now.

Whee.

No thanks to Arlo folks.

Just glad the company doesn’t make military equipment...we’d be seriously goofed up in the field.

NikPottala
Star
Star

I was curious if it was account related because when I delete the app from the iphone and reinstall it I'm not asked for credentials which says it didn't clean up from the old app.

i have to wait to see if it fixes my problem since my vacation house internet seems to be down and I can't access Arlo or any other service.   

NikPottala
Star
Star

I spent all weekend trying various things.  Notifications does not work on my IOS!!!!!!

I get local notifications from the app when I turn on or turn of geofencing for example.  But I get no notifications from my basestation when cameras record motion or sound.   

Now that I"m on-site, geofencing does notwork any longer.  I can set the app to notify when I'm in /our of range and I get nothing.  I'm sitting in the house and the system simply does not detect my presence.  

All this worked flawlessly for 2 years and now I can't use the system to securely monitor my vacation property.  This is becoming a worthless product and I would hope some system engineer sorts this out before I remove the system altogether.

NikPottala
Star
Star

Updating progress to document for all.  Still no Joy!

I have swapped user accounts and phones with my wife (who did get notifications just fine).  When my account is logged into her iPhone/Arlo app, notifications work as they should.  On my iPhone with her account logged in, notifications still do not work.   Leads me to believe the issue lies with my iPhone configuration and not my Arlo user account.

I then tried to remove the Arlo app from the phone in an attempt to start with a fresh installation.

I went to Settings>iPhone Storage and selected the Arlo app, then “Offload App”.   This apparently keeps the data but removes the app.  After this step, I then downloaded the Arlo app from the app store.   Same resulting behavior.  No application notifications.

I then went Settings>IPhone Storage and selected the Arlo app, then “Delete App”.  This reads like it should delete the Arlo and also delete any of the application data.  After this step, I then downloaded the Arlo app from the app store.   This does not seem to delete the application data as advertised.  The Arlo app did not ask me for any account information so that means it was using left-over data not removed during the delete.   After this, the same resulting behavior… no application notifications.  Apparently deleting the app from the iPhone does not remove the data either way you do it.  I think that's part of the issue.  There something in the old data config that's screwed up.

Now I've trying something drastic.  I've completely erased the iPhone and just installed the Arlo app.  This should be a fresh install.  Now I have to wait for the camera to be triggered to see if it works.  (my camera is at my vacation house 750 miles away so I can't just walk out and test it.)

NikPottala
Star
Star

Complete erase and downloading the Arlo solved the problem and I now get notifications. Sad thing is I'm going to reinstall from the iPhone backup because not getting notifications from this one App doesn't mean I want manually reinstall all the other working apps on my phone.  (I'm assuming my backup will have the same problem)

NikPottala
Star
Star

Arlo Support/Moderators, please stop marking issues in this forum as solved when they are not fully resolved.  Notifications are not solved in the new app.   I'll considered it solved when I don't have to erase my entire iPhone and install the Arlo app to correct the situation and then reinstall every other iPhone app after that.   There's a fundamental issue in the Arlo data contained on the iPhone and below gives my step-by-step validation of that.  

The original issue is my iPhone will not receive any Arlo notifications and it does not recognize my presence for geofencing after moving to the new Arlo app. (almost 30 days ago)

I focused on  troubleshooting only notifications since I’m not near the Arlo camera system which is at my vacation home 750 miles away.  

Step 1 - Validate if this is an account issue or related to the iPhone itself.

My wife and I both upgraded to the new app at roughly the same time and have the same IOS version 13 and later.  Her phone will get notifications from camera activity, I do not.  

I swapped user accounts and phones with my wife (who did get notifications just fine).  When my account is logged into her iPhone/Arlo app, notifications work as they should.  On my iPhone with her account logged in, notifications still do not work.    This leads me to believe the issue lies with my iPhone configuration and not my Arlo user account.  I received notifications on my iPad with my account so that further validates it is not account related but pertains just to my iPhone and the Arlo data on it.

Step 2 - Try to clear the Arlo app and data? 

I then removed the Arlo app from the phone in an attempt to start with a fresh installation.

I went to Settings>iPhone Storage and selected the Arlo app, then “Offload App”.   This apparently keeps the data but removes the app according to iPhone documentation.  After this step, I then downloaded the Arlo app from the app store.   Same resulting behavior.  No application notifications.

I then went to Settings>IPhone Storage and selected the Arlo app, then “Delete App”.  This reads like it should delete the Arlo and also delete any of the application data.  After this step, I then downloaded the Arlo app from the app store.   This does not seem to delete the application data as advertised.  The Arlo app did not ask me for any account information so that means it was using left-over data not removed during the delete.   After this, the same resulting behavior… no application notifications.  Offloading an App is broken.

Step 3 - Erase the phone to ensure I have a clean iPhone and just install Arlo to ensure there are no other associations in play with my problem.

I went to General>Reset>Erase All Content and Setting and totally started with a fresh iPhone configuration.   Installed the Arlo application from the app store.  Notifications now work as advertised which is great but I have no interest reinstalling 100+ apps on my iPhone just because the Arlo app's data is corrupted and causing this issue.

Step 4 - Erase and restore my iPhone from a backup

Since my camera is 750 miles away I have to wait for activity to validate if the condition still exists from a backup restore.   I'll keep you posted.

WHAT IS WANTED FROM ARLO SUPPORT  

1. Don't close the issue until we say the issue is closed.  There are lots of people in this community with no notifications but yet most of the posts are considered "SOLVED".
  2. Investigate and provide a solution whereby deleting the app actually does clean all the Arlo data from the iPhone.  If you had this, the fix is simple.  Because the data does not get cleared during the Offload process, this problem exists for a large number of people who were Arlo legacy users.
  3. Expecting me to erase setting on my phone to fix your problem and then 1 by 1 reinstall all my other applications isn't a realistic fix.  (this assumes I still have the issue because the data problem is going to be carried forward from my backup restore (which I will validate for you)).
  4. Provide a better support mechanism than chat for users like me to provide updates to the trouble shooting steps to help you solve problems.  There's not a good way to see an open ticket and provide updates to it.   Chat or email is horrible for this.
NikPottala
Star
Star

I have confirmed after reloading the iPhone from a backup in my situation that notifications still do not work. No push notifications, no bubble on the icon indicating any activity. 

How can I delete the Arlo data off the iPhone to start over with a clean install of the app without having to manually install every other application?  

I can't remove the app data via the published methods which state it will remove the app's data.  

NikPottala
Star
Star

I spent almost three hours on chat. 

After that time working through different things I've already tried.  They suggested to reset network settings.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Low and behold!  I received a notification after that.  I think we're making progress after 25+ days.