Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Here is a weird one. I am receiving multiple audible push notifications in a row for a single event. It is not camera related, as it occurs when motion is detected on any of the four cameras. Each event I get four or five audible notifications (but the correct number of message notifications).

It started during beta testing for the Smart app with person identification, remote 911 for area, and capture adjustment. When the beta was over on March 30, it did not go away. I have reloaded the app several times and restarted the base.

During the same period, I got Android 8.0 (Oreo) on my S*+. There are various notification tweaks with Oreo over Nougat.

I chatted with AT&T about it, they had no clue, but opened a ticket.

This did start during the beta test, and right before the AT&T Oreo release.

It is an irritant, but functionally everything else works as expected.

Has anyone else experienced this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

To fix multiple notifications on Android..........

Uninstall the Arlo app from Settings > Apps > Arlo (doesn't hurt to force stop it first)

Then go to: Settings > Cloud and Accounts > Backup and Restore

Then down on the bottom there’s a toggle that’s says "Automatic Restore", toggle it OFF

Next, Click on "Google account" in the same menu

And at the top there’s a toggle that says, "Back up to Google Drive", toggle it OFF

It will give you a warning that you are about to delete your backup, "Confirm and delete"

Next, reboot the Phone

Then go back to the last slider that we turned off that said "Back up to Google Drive" and turn it back on

Then download and install the Arlo app and log back in

Then setup your arlo notification sound again and your good to go

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Open a ticket with support at the bottom of the page. Sounds like a possible issue on their end

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks Steve. I got the scripted factory reset blurb as they had no clue. The strange thing is that this does not happen with my wife's iOS device. I have exhausted the Google / Samsung / AT&T / device reboots routes. I have changed the notification to a single short beep, so now I get four or five short beeps rather than a long drawn out irritating event. Not sure if anyone else on the planet has had this problem and any kind of fix.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JoeCymru,

I was able to review your support ticket on this issue. I will escalate for further investigation.

JamesC

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Thanks James. It is either the Smart trial or the Oreo OS update or a combination that seems to have done this. My view from here of course.
Dataylor79
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey guys,

Any word on a solution for this? This just started on my Note 8 after the last security update but I can not find a solution. I now get 3 notification tones for every event. My wife has the S9+ and this doesn't happen. I need help.
Tony8791
Tutor
Tutor
I've been getting multiple push notifications (5 in a row) for one single event for 2 weeks. Netgear this unacceptable please sort. It seems to me there is one software problem after another which is extremely annoying. Knowing what I know now I would NEVER invest my money in this product...take my advice and seek an alternative!
Tony8791
Tutor
Tutor
Please resolve this issue as it is so annoying. It's one issue after another with Arlo...very poor
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have just been blown off by Support after a lengthy back and forth. It seems that somehow I do not know my way around my device OS. I have been using Android OS for five years and I definitely know how to handle notifications. In addition they bluntly told me that I was wrong that there was nothing you could do with notifications in their app except turn them on and off. I must have a different app because under Devices, in the upper right menu there is Settings, where there is a sub topic of Notifications where you can choose tones, vibrations, LED colors and LRD blink rates. That statement about nothing can be done with Notifications on the app except turn them on or off is stunning and really shakes my confidence that there is actually any help on the horizon.

My S8+ running Android 8 (Oreo) is the only device that is doing this. My Samsung Android tablet (running older OS) is not doing this. My wifes iOS device and here iPad are not doing this. None of the other apps on my device are doing this. My device never did this before the app update.

Naturally my carrier says it is an app problem especially since it occurs on no other app except Arlo

Right now, under the Notifications on the Arlo app I have changed the tone to Silent and go with vibrations only. Lousy work around to keep my samity but only recourse.

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like you're not alone. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Double-notifications-from-app/m-p/1533812

Do not uninstall the app. Everytime you uninstall the app, it adds another ring to the notification. Something happened and I was getting a double notification. I uninstalled/reinstalled and that went to three. Other people are seem to have more. Its like something isn't getting overwritten or cleared out after and the problem compounds. I heard Netgear isn't bothering to troubleshoot as they don't know the issue. 

I've read that a system restore on your phone will resolve the issue, but thats a tall order for a fix. 

Anyway, best of luck 

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, that was me in the other thread that found a factory reset / restore was the only way I could find to fix this mess. Along with not doing any uninstall / installs manually. I also now note from the other thread that other phone brands that have been updated to Oreo are now having the issue. An Android 8.0.0 / Arlo lack of love may be causing this. As suggested in the other thread, this is going to spread as Oreo continues to roll out to eligible phones.

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

Ah ok. I just can't bring myself to do a factory reset for a single app. I'm just going to wait for Netgear to address this or for someone to come up with a fix. 

In the meantime, I've created a really short notification tone, 0:005 I think is the length, its a single quick "knock" I hope this helps folks out. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvgbcdea0ze7z79/Sm-Knock.mp3?dl=0

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In the Arlo settings under notification> notification tone, there is a tone setting called "Silent". This is the way to shut it up when you are about to lose your mind. In a fit of desperation while all this was going on, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times, and even though I had changed it to "Single Drop" when something moved across any camera field of view, it was like someone leaning on a doorbell. I found the "Silent" setting better than constantly screaming "SHUT THE **** UP! at my phone (and my wife felt those tirades did not add to the honme ambiance). An interim alternative to factory reset, but you lose the audible notification of course.

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

You can use the link I provided as well. Its a very short tone and I've found to improve this situation.

JimAltman
Apprentice
Apprentice

In addition to all of the above, clearing the system cache did no good.  Still getting multiple notifications. Not to be unduly cynical, netgear will fix this about the time we all get android 9.

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

Has any one opened a ticket with Netgear yet? 

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I did a while ago, finally let it die due to Support's total cluelessness about what was going on even after multiple detailed explanations over two long protracted conversations where their troubleshooting suggestions was totally detached from the  reality of the issue. There is something about doing an uninstall and reinstal of the app that causes this and some other issues with my Samsung 8+ with Android 8. So I developed a routine to get rid of this outlined here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Double-notifications-from-app/m-p/1583728#M38784

I do notknow if the backup and restore part is necessary, but it only takes a couple of minutes so I do it anyway. The bottom line is making sure that your Arlo app is totally wiped out and that no phone settings for the app are reinstalled such as notification sound set ups and that the cache and data are totally gone (this means things with the phone not your system settings which are on Arlo's servers

jdubbs413
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is absolutely insane that this is an issue.  

First off, why can't we find out where the files are hidden on our devices?  I can't find Arlo files anywhere under Arlo or Netgear names.  It would be as simple as deleting those files most likely after an uninstall.  Of my 150 apps, Arlo is the only one not with the others.

When I went to try the backup and restore workaround, I realized I wasn't backing up anything at all.  So I suppose I might as well do a factory reset on my phone and then never ever uninstall the app again (even though I had no choice cause my app was stuck in some login cycle..it was odd to say the least but the uninstall/reinstall fixed it).  I would reach out to Nest and see if you can't work with their android developer as they have almost no bugs with their app at all.  

I would think this is an easy bug fix once it is truly handled.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

parttime2
Aspirant
Aspirant

my 5 arlo pro cameras just started doing the multiple notification when motion is detected has any one found how too correct?

JimAltman
Apprentice
Apprentice

The new version of the program arrived today for android.  I now get repeat notifications if i arm the motions\ sensors from having them disarmed as well as the multiple notification alarms for each motion detected.  If anything, this version is worse than the last one.

Please o please get them to focus on this, its darn annoying to get 4 dings for every alert and now to get the same alert two or three times, with 4 dings each time. This has been gong on for months.

@JamesC wrote:

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

To fix multiple notifications on Android..........

Uninstall the Arlo app from Settings > Apps > Arlo (doesn't hurt to force stop it first)

Then go to: Settings > Cloud and Accounts > Backup and Restore

Then down on the bottom there’s a toggle that’s says "Automatic Restore", toggle it OFF

Next, Click on "Google account" in the same menu

And at the top there’s a toggle that says, "Back up to Google Drive", toggle it OFF

It will give you a warning that you are about to delete your backup, "Confirm and delete"

Next, reboot the Phone

Then go back to the last slider that we turned off that said "Back up to Google Drive" and turn it back on

Then download and install the Arlo app and log back in

Then setup your arlo notification sound again and your good to go

Holydoc
Guide
Guide
Thanks pc2k. That worked great.
DCHanlon1
Aspirant
Aspirant

The fix worked for me also. Back to just one ping on the sound on my phone when the camera is activated.