Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
av53
Guide
Guide
I just started receiving this message. I have to reboot the phone to get a login screen.. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Thanks
61 REPLIES 61
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello av53,

We have had a very small number of users report this issue and are trying to narrow down the details to try to reproduce it on our end. Would you mind providing the following info:

Type of device

App version

What screen were you last on when you see this error? (The library page, device page, etc.)

Did you minimize or force close before the error occurred?

Any additional details you can provide will be helpful in narrowing this down. Thank you in advance!

Dawn Marshall
Community Manager, NETGEAR

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If your using android, update the arlo app to the latest version in the google store. (version 2.4.9_20031) Fixed my session timed out issue.

Thewood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Since a mod seems have been in here...is anyone addressing this issue.  Its still ongoing for a number of people.

tominboise
Tutor
Tutor

I am also receiving this message on both cell phones that access this service.  They are a samsung s8+ and Samsung Note 8.  The App load is 2.4.9.20031 which I think is the latest.  If I force stop the app i can get back in and then after a couple of hours I get the message my session has expired and need to login with no way to login.  I think this started after the last app update.  Hope Netgear sees we are having problems and fix's this issue.

Twinkle
Star
Star

hello, I called on Mar15 and got a case number. Just called again 3/17; still no resolution. 

I got my 3 camera sys up in Feb 2018. All was working fine until Mar 15---day after the new released on Mar14. I never log out-hence to see the cameras when I get a notification- Great. However, now not so great. I get the " your session has expired. Please log in." I even checked my Samsung 7, andriod and it also times out.  In this Community board, they are about 5-7 discussions on same topic--just labeled different. CK the one on "Session has timed out ....again".

I have uninstalled the APP several times --it allows me back in but still times out.

I read this board and see that the same problem has happened in May and July 2017. Seems Arlo, would have fixed the app as to not have that occur again. I am not a tech person---unless it was a different issue.  However, why is the APP not tested before it is released since this has happened before.

Great system- but not worth all the problems thus far. I should had done more homework.

Please Fix

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@tominboise

When you say you have no way to log back in after it times out.... what exactly do you mean? You should at least be brought to the log in screen, which will look kinda greyed out. You tap the screen at the "greyed out" part slides to the right and you can then log in. PITA, but you should be able to log back in.

@Twinkle

I don't think it's the app. Looks like a back end issue to me relating to accounts, the database, maybe an sql issue. The app is working fine for most so that tends to say it's a back end issue. I realize you probably don't care where the problem is, I'm just throwing some info out there. Hopefully they get you back up and running soon.

tominboise
Tutor
Tutor

I mean there is no login screen and the app is upresponsve.  All I see us your session has expired you need to re login or something to that effect.  I force close the app and then it will let me back in for a couple of hours.  After my session expires i do not get any notifications of events.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@tominboise

I have the S8, so I assume your running android 7, samsung experience 8.1, and android security level February 1, 2018... is that correct?

I'm just asking because since we have the same hardware, I'm wondering if any software difference could make the app freeze up on you. If you have all the same as me and mine works then it's got to be on the arlo back end.

Did version 2.4.9_20031 ever work for you?

tominboise
Tutor
Tutor
Yes my s8 is the same software versions as yours. I don't know if it worked on this app version or not. I started getting the error about the time my app was updated
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Ok. I'm seeing in a few places now that this is a known issue with the new version of the app and the cloud update. Strange that the app and the new cloud update is working fine for some, but not for others. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Bigedd
Guide
Guide

Glad to see this being addressed. I have been receiving the same message on my Windows 10 PC, Win 10 Notebook, and  Samsung Note 4 devices for 3+ days. It continues as I write this. Arlo app is current on all devices. FRUSTRATING!!!

Amica31
Aspirant
Aspirant
I got the same issue. Just started few days ago. I log in, view my videos few minutes and it bumps me out. The message is that the session timed out. It never happened like that before. My phone is Motorola 4ge.
Tgmashburn
Initiate
Initiate
I called waited in the phone for a hour before anyone answered and then told problem would be fixed in 2 hours that was 2 days ago!
BoldPrint
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problems as others:  I get a message saying my session has expired and I need to login.  But I can't login because the app is unresponsive.  This has been going on for a few days.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Workaround for Android (iOS should have something similar):

When presented with the "session expired" message, use the phone's multitask button (looks like 2 rectangles overlapping). Arlo should be the top one. Click the "X" at the top right of Arlo. Reopen the app normally and it will start up normally.

Thewood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah, I think most of us figured out if you shut the app down, you can start it back up.  The point you're missing is that the app will eventually time out again.  I have had to use this "workaround" 6-7 times a day if I want to check anything on the app.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's why it's a workaround, not a fix. Just trying to help minimize the angst.

Rubyphilipgriff
Tutor
Tutor
Still having the problem with the session timed out issue, I have downloaded the new version 3 times and to no avail, the system is working but you always have to turn your phone on and off in order to get back in the app after every probably 2 hours, you don't even need to use your password it just goes right in once you tap the Arlo app.
If there is a fix for this at time of this posting please let me know.
Like everyone else I hope Arlo fixes this problem.
Elkhounds
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue on any web browser.  Can't get to my cameras.  Maybe once it is fixed Arlo will upgrade us all to the new Pro 2 version for our inconvience.  Haha.  Getting old not being able to see the cameras.  Not exactly what I got the system for.

Scott1969
Initiate
Initiate

This time out session is getting really old.  On either of our phones as well as our computer, we get timed out.  This is not acceptable when we are depending on notification of movemement outside in a quick time.  WHEN can we expect an update that wil fix this bug (apparantly for the 2nd time)?   If something happens to our property during this down time are you liable since we are deppending on your services to alert us... I mean THAT is what we paid for right????  We are on day 6 - that I have kept track of - I think that is plenty of time for your tech support to fix a bug that has happen before.  PLEASE FIX!

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Elkhoundswrote:

I'm having the same issue on any web browser.  Can't get to my cameras.  Maybe once it is fixed Arlo will upgrade us all to the new Pro 2 version for our inconvience.  Haha.  Getting old not being able to see the cameras.  Not exactly what I got the system for.

Clear your cookies in whatever browser you're using and that should fix the issue in your browser. The app issue will still remain until netgear/arlo fixes it.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Scott1969wrote:

If something happens to our property during this down time are you liable since we are deppending on your services to alert us...

Don't get me wrong....... I'm not defending netgear in any way, they need to fix this issue for people who are affected by it (my app works fine), but just wanted to answer your question.........

Pretty much every product out there operates this way......

16.4 YOU AGREE THAT NETGEAR IS NOT AN INSURER AND THAT NETGEAR IS NOT PROVIDING YOU WITH INSURANCE OF ANY TYPE. ANY AMOUNTS THAT YOU PAY NETGEAR FOR THE SERVICES ARE NOT INSURANCE PREMIUMS AND ARE NOT RELATED TO THE VALUE OF YOUR PROPERTY, ANYONE ELSE’S PROPERTY LOCATED IN YOUR PREMISES, OR ANY RISK OF LOSS AT YOUR PREMISES.  IF YOU WANT INSURANCE TO PROTECT AGAINST ANY RISK OF LOSS AT YOUR PREMISES, YOU WILL PURCHASE IT. IN THE EVENT OF ANY LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY, YOU WILL NOT LOOK TO NETGEAR TO COMPENSATE YOU OR ANYONE ELSE. YOU RELEASE AND WAIVE FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR INSURER ALL SUBROGATION AND OTHER RIGHTS TO RECOVER AGAINST NETGEAR ARISING AS A RESULT OF THE PAYMENT OF ANY CLAIM FOR LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY.

16.5 NETGEAR’S DEVICES AND SERVICES DO NOT CAUSE AND CANNOT ELIMINATE OCCURRENCES OF CERTAIN EVENTS, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FIRES, FLOODS, BURGLARIES, ROBBERIES AND MEDICAL PROBLEMS. NETGEAR MAKES NO GUARANTY OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, THAT THE DEVICES AND SERVICES PROVIDED WILL DETECT OR AVERT SUCH INCIDENTS OR THEIR CONSEQUENCES. NETGEAR DOES NOT UNDERTAKE ANY RISK THAT YOU OR YOUR PROPERTY, OR THE PERSON OR PROPERTY OF OTHERS, MAY BE SUBJECT TO INJURY OR LOSS IF SUCH AN EVENT OCCURS. THE ALLOCATION OF SUCH RISK REMAINS WITH YOU, NOT NETGEAR.

Elkhounds
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have cleared the browser many times.  Normal browser is Chrome.  I never use Edge and even tried to login using Edge and instantly get the failed message that I may be logged into a different browser.  Web interface is just dead for me.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Elkhoundswrote:

I have cleared the browser many times.  Normal browser is Chrome.  I never use Edge and even tried to login using Edge and instantly get the failed message that I may be logged into a different browser.  Web interface is just dead for me.

Did you clear your cache / history or did you delete your cookies? You want to clear/delete cookies. Worked for me in Edge.

If your using Chrome try pasting this in your url bar and then click "Remove All":

chrome://settings/cookies/detail?site=arlo.netgear.com