Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
yeebee29
Star
Star

I have been having trouble with the new Arlo app ever since I downloaded it. It is much slower, and it is not allowing me to play back videos that are recorded. I read another post about watching the videos on a computer. I hope there's another solution because the reason the app is on the phone is so we can monitor our property on the phone. Please help! This is getting frustrating!

97 REPLIES 97
ClaireBr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Android 8.0.0
lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice
Wow so many people have problems. Let's hope this will be fixed very soon.
clevernw
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, they need to come up with a solution soon. I submitted a help request several days ago and have yet to get a response back. I think I am going to try to side load the previous version back on my phone.

This is ridiculous. 

clevernw
Tutor
Tutor

Will confirm that this worked. My app is working like it did before. The the apkmirror site is not very intuitive though.

thanks to the community members for the temporary fix  and NO THANKS to ARLO! 

@StephenB wrote:

@Zalin2019 wrote:

This doesn't seem possible. It doesn't show up as an option in google play store.

I'm not seeing there either.  But you can get it from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netgear-inc-2/arlo/

If you browse to that link in your phone, you will be able to download and install it manually.  This process is called "sideloading".  If you haven't done it before, you can google "sideload' and your phone name, and you'll almost certainly find an explanation for your device.

Mataz76
Aspirant
Aspirant
My videos play back in the library on wifi but not 4g network. Can view live video on the 4g network though.
It seems once I connect to the wifi first and play a library video then go back to 4g it works till I close the app.
Deanomite
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried downloading the old version via the APK and this and was marginally better, but not by much.

I would use caution using the download link as there are MANY ads and misleading links to download. You might end up downloading some spam.

Antabobinous
Initiate
Initiate
Hi,
I've just updated the app, and I'm unable to play the saved video clips in app (in the library). If I download the clips to my phone's gallery the clips will play just fine.
When I press the large play button on the video clip, the button remains unresponsive and the video does not play.
thedietz
Tutor
Tutor

just got off chat with support.  Even shared this thread.  They still want to know the following info from me.  

For me further check on your case, please provide these information:
1. OS Version?
2. Arlo App version.
3. What is the error message (if there's any) or behavior?
4. Who is the Internet Service Provider?
5. Who is the Mobile Data Provider?
6. From which State or City is the customer from?
7. What is the internet Upload and Download speed for WiFi?
8. What is the internet speed for Mobile Data?

I provided the info but also explained everything worked well until the new app was installed....and that all of you also are experiencing the same issue.  

it really seems they don't think their app has an issue, they believe it is our devices/internet/mobile data carrier.  

If this is what we can expect with the split from Netgear i feel i have nothing but headaches to come.  

ClaireBr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Bull**bleep**. How can people in totally different countries with totally different mobile carriers have EXACTLY the same problem. The issue isn't Wifi it's when you're viewing through your mobile data. This is all their problem not ours
thedietz
Tutor
Tutor

Also worth noting.  On 4g i can view my camera Live with no issue.  So connecting back to the ARLO hub at my house works fine.  It is playing the videos in the library...which are in the ARLO cloud storage that doesn't work.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It'd be helpful if we knew the OS version on the devices (Android x.x.x or iOS x.x.x), and the version of the app you are running (2.7.x, 2.8, or 2.8.1).

Antabobinous
Initiate
Initiate

Hi Stephen,

The device is a Samsung A50.

One UI version: 1.1

Android version: 9

Kernel version: 4.14.62-16641116

Arlo app version: 2.8.0.25870

thedietz
Tutor
Tutor

this isn't an OS version issue. this is an ARLO issue.  look at everyone else having the same issue including myself

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Live-view-amp-Library-won-t-playback-video-randomly/m-p/17263...

On my phone i can view the cameras Live.  So connecting over 4g to the hub at my house is fine.  Playing back anything that is in the Library...stored in the ARLO Cloud just buffers.   

This is a big flaw that they need to resolve ASAP

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Antabobinous wrote:

Arlo app version: 2.8.0.25870

Check the google play store, and see if there is an update pending for 2.8.1

Antabobinous
Initiate
Initiate

Updated to 2.8.1 but the problem still persists unfortunately

ClaireBr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Zalin2019
Guide
Guide

Thanks, I am going to do the same. Load the old app and use it.

Sprayward
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there an answer for this? Same problem here
yeebee29
Star
Star
I don't know what happened, I didn't do anything different, but I tried to playback a recording today, and it played! I'm not sure if it's a fluke or if there's an update.

I'll let you know if it stops working again.
Sprayward
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I've been having the same issue. Super annoying. I wasn't even getting the notifications after installing the "new" app. I hope it's fixed soon
ClaireBr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nothing doing for me yet away from wifi
Zalin2019
Guide
Guide

@clevernw wrote:

Yes, they need to come up with a solution soon. I submitted a help request several days ago and have yet to get a response back. I think I am going to try to side load the previous version back on my phone.

This is ridiculous. 

I have also had an ongoing help request, hopefully still open, for this issue. I have not heard back in a couple of days but I send an update daily. I can only believe that they are aware of the situation and are working on it. At least I hope so.

Zalin2019
Guide
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@Zalin2019 wrote:

This doesn't seem possible. It doesn't show up as an option in google play store.

I'm not seeing there either.  But you can get it from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netgear-inc-2/arlo/

If you browse to that link in your phone, you will be able to download and install it manually.  This process is called "sideloading".  If you haven't done it before, you can google "sideload' and your phone name, and you'll almost certainly find an explanation for your device.

Thank you for this recommendation. This actually works for me for now. I don't know what will happen after September 30 when they say it won't be supported any longer.

Oddly, the old app works, but the new app still does not. So that leads me to conclude most positively that the issue is with the app. It's not with OUR phones. It's not with OUR cameras or OUR equipment. The issue is almost definitely on the Arlo side.

Zalin2019
Guide
Guide

I would encourage everyone with this problem to please go to support and open a case. I have mentioned this discussion to the person helping with my case, but I don't know if they read the community forums.

When and if I hear back regarding my case, I will post. Hopefully they will get this worked out soon.

annepanee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem! Galaxy s8 and can't view my library after notifications. Not helpful when not at home! Also when I go to Icon on phone, it takes me to Arlo page first, then to my camera views, which I can't view anyway. One of my cameras battery life won't charge fully, so I have to take the whole damn thing back to Best Buy again (only 8 months old, 2nd set and 2nd warranty $100 +). This time I'm getting new one and selling!