Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Coviscus
Follower
Follower

I'm noticing the live stream for my Arlo pro cameras is incredibly laggy and delayed recently. Even more so than before. I've also noticed a change in the subscriptions, and it seems live streaming is no longer supported in the free subscription?

Does this mean a paid subscription will eliminate the laggy live streaming problem?

7 REPLIES 7
Bruiser64
Aspirant
Aspirant

No. I have the Enterprise Subscription with 30 x cameras, and it's still laggy.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Define "laggy." WHat is your upload speed and latency as noted by speedtest.net?

Bruiser64
Aspirant
Aspirant

By "laggy" I mean sometimes an individual camera will take 10 to 20 seconds (or more) to enter Live Mode. Other times the video is pixelated. All of my cameras are on two or three bars reception from its Base Station. I have 9 x Base Stations, so everything is well covered. My Speedtest ping is 7 to 9 seconds, and my download speed is between 90 and 110 Mbps.

I've seen other non-Arlo systems that are virtually instantaneous.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Arlo and I'm fully invested in the ecosystem, but there's definitely room for improvement.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's the upload speed that's important, not download. You're uploading the stream before ever downloading it.  I have 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up and just measured 8-10 seconds on two different bases for live streaming to start. Signal strength and/or quality may also be an issue - what's the signal strength at the cameras and are there any other 2.4GHz devices in use nearby any Arlo devices?

Bruiser64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Upload is only 5 Mbps. I still don't think that 8-10 seconds is great. I've seen other systems respond almost immediately. The signal strength at all my cameras is either 2 or 3 out of three. I've gone to great lengths to ensure that's as best I can do. I have Netgear Nighthawk 7300s, which run at 2.4 and 5 GHz near some of the Base Stations. I also have older Cisco access points near others, but I'm not sure what band they run on.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that Arlo is cloud-based will always cause a lag. No way around it. I suspect that the other systems you mention were not cloud-based - IP cameras?

Bruiser64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep, most likely.