Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
stejames2000
Guide
Guide

I have 3,  Arlo 2 Pro cameras.

All 3 camera have very poor video quality on live and playback.

The Arlo Pro 2 camera is advertised as being 1080p but I'm not getting anywhere close to that.

The cameras all show good signal and the power management settings are set to best video.

How can I improve the quality of the image

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Share a video (in the library, select a video and use the share icon to copy and paste the link here). What makes you say the quality is poor? Are you trying to zoom in to see details? That's an issue given the ~2 megapixel video along with compression.

stejames2000
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply.

Quality is poor as you can see on the video ive shared below

Ive don't zoom in when I watch live or play back

I watch the video on my 22 inch monitors full screen and the like I said the quality is not 1080p

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/E9C1FF9744E501BC_202004

stejames2000
Guide
Guide

Here is another example

https://my.arlo.com/#/viewShared/A760F2EF4789957B_202004

If you watch on full screen you can see how bad it is

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your videos look normal to me. Again, a 1080p video is still only 2 megapixels and then the compression that's used to reduce bandwidth and storage space reduces what a raw 1080p video would provide. 

WHat you see is what you're going to get due to the constraints of the hardware and software.

stejames2000
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the reply
So to clear things up Arlo advertise the arlo pro 2 as 1080p. But then compress the videos so it’s not 1080p. Should this not be up to the customer if they want to compress the video?
If I’m paying for 1080p that’s what I’d expect to have.
It’s like buying a New Porsche 911. The specs say it can do 180mph only to find out that Porsche have restricted top speed to 70mph.

Don’t advertise what you can’t deliver Arlo

dcfox1
Master
Master

U have to remember these are internet based not hard wired like $1000 plus systems. 

stejames2000
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the reply.
Fully understand the arlo are wireless Network based cameras that record to the cloud.
If you’re saying because they are network based cameras and they will never show in 1080p then please explain why it was advertised as 1080p and how the new Arlo Ultra will record in 4K if if it can’t even do 1080p
dcfox1
Master
Master

Im not an arlo tech so cant explain it  but i have the pro3 and it does look better then the pro 2's i used to have even in 1080p. the video u posted looked like my old pro 2's