Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
captainjackfan
Guide
Guide

My Question Is I Purchased the Arlo Pro and I Have A Weather Station and broadcast to WU and they have a place on there site that you can share your live cam. They ask for the URL of the cam but the want it to end with a .jpg file URL//......jpg so you can share your pictures live say one picture a minute this way they can monitor the weather at your local home weather station on there site connected to your station. So I am assuming they need a snapshot every 1 minute. I suppose I could get them out of the cloud as they are upload from my camera. Not sure how to do this, I would really love to have this feature of that and live video feed to my weather website and webcam timelapse videos! Can this be possible. I know alot of sites do this! I just need the url's from my camera from the cloud to make one of the two work! Please let me know! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac is right, it can't be done directly. 

I also have personal weather station. Someone on the WXforum.net supplied me a Python script that specifically captures a .jpg from an Arlo camera. I have a Windows PC running 24/7 that executes this script once every ten minutes and then my Weather Display software makes it available to WU and my weather website.

I could run the script more often but everytime the script runs, it logs off anyone else that is logged on. The more often the script runs, the less time you have to do any Arlo maintenance. 😞

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can not do what you want....unless you create a script or similar to take a snap shot and forward same

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac is right, it can't be done directly. 

I also have personal weather station. Someone on the WXforum.net supplied me a Python script that specifically captures a .jpg from an Arlo camera. I have a Windows PC running 24/7 that executes this script once every ten minutes and then my Weather Display software makes it available to WU and my weather website.

I could run the script more often but everytime the script runs, it logs off anyone else that is logged on. The more often the script runs, the less time you have to do any Arlo maintenance. 😞

captainjackfan
Guide
Guide

Would you be able to get me the script or some instructions on how to download it and set it up with the camera. I do have a hosting site with ftp access if I need it. I have a weather website also and the meteotemplate I use he has .php blocks and plugins and he has two blocks one for timelapse and one for webcam and also the WU issue with uploading the camera pictures to them. If I could get those working I would be a happy camper as they say!

captainjackfan
Guide
Guide

I am a member of WxFourm I guess I need to go there and see if I can find the script! If you have it let me know! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have it. Just PM me your email address.

captainjackfan
Guide
Guide

@captainjackfan wrote:

Would you be able to get me the script or some instructions on how to download it and set it up with the camera. I do have a hosting site with ftp access if I need it. I have a weather website also and the meteotemplate I use he has .php blocks and plugins and he has two blocks one for timelapse and one for webcam and also the WU issue with uploading the camera pictures to them. If I could get those working I would be a happy camper as they say!

captainjackfan
Guide
Guide

I need a .php script I can use to upload from my Arlo to WU Weather Underground Station Page and Also My Weather Website. I think it should be the right of the Arlo IP Cam owner to share his video and stills as he wants. I need to find a .php script or a fix on the camera firmware upgrade so I can upload to my weather related sites, I want to share live video or the weather to the sites i mentioned. There has to be a way this can be done. I would be willing to pay to have this access to be able to do this, I want the timelapse option also. I paid enough for this and yes I know security reasons is why? Yes but it should be the owners right to share as he sees fit. Please get this option added to the camera so I can do what I bought it for. Maybe I should have got a cheeper one so I could have this capibility.

captainjackfan
Guide
Guide

I have NO Idea how to run a python script to WU? Honestly NO CLUE!

@jguerdat wrote:

I have it. Just PM me your email address.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nor do I. I just make someone else's Python script available. There's enough web programmers around that surely someone could set this up. You just have to find the right person.

Edit: I just tried a quick Google on "convert python to php" and came up with some interesting results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+python+to+php&oq=convert+python+to+php&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3...

One is a converter on github but you'd have to check it out to see if it's ready for use and how it works.

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

Here's all the info I got to run the script and the script that works for me. I really can't help beyond that as I don't know anything about Python. I just hacked at what I was given.

####################################################
For all of the below, you'll need to open the Windows command shell (type cmd) in the command window.

First you need to download and install python from here: https://www.python.org/downloads/

Then you need to get "pip". This took me a while to figure out, probably because I didn't remember the directory that I installed python in. I can't remember everything I did, but this link should help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4750806/how-do-i-install-pip-on-windows

Then you need to install "git". I think the purpose of this to be able to install stuff from github. Hopefully this will help: https://git-scm.com/

Finally, then you can install the Arlo scripts from: https://github.com/jeffreydwalter/arlo. Follow the instructions to type: "pip install git+https://github.com/jeffreydwalter/arlo"

I tried several of the arlo scripts, but the following worked for me. Please save the below test here somewhere on your hard drive and name it something like arlo.py:

from Arlo import Arlo

USERNAME = 'xxxxxx@gmail.com'
PASSWORD = 'xxxxxx'

try:
# Instantiating the Arlo object automatically calls Login(), which returns an oAuth token that gets cached.
# Subsequent successful calls to login will update the oAuth token.
arlo = Arlo(USERNAME, PASSWORD)
# At this point you're logged into Arlo.

# Get the list of devices and filter on device type to only get the cameras.
# This will return an array of cameras, including all of the cameras' associated metadata.

basestations = arlo.GetDevices('basestation')
cameras = arlo.GetDevices('camera')

# Trigger the snapshot.
url = arlo.TriggerFullFrameSnapshot(basestations[0], cameras[0]);

# Download snapshot.
arlo.DownloadSnapshot(url, 'snapshot.jpg')
except Exception as e:
print(e)

Then navigate to the folder that you want the snapshot to be created (e.g. cd c:\dropbox\)

If python is in your path settings, then type: python.exe arlo.py

This should create one snapshot, then you can use windows "task scheduler" to automate this command every 5 minutes or so.

If you have dropbox, the c:\dropbox\snapshot.jpg will automatically sync to the web, and you can copy the link to this photo for the WU web cam.

###########################################################
This is script that works for me. Commented out are the lines (print statements) to help you figure out what camera number you want.

from Arlo import Arlo

USERNAME = 'xxxxxx@gmail.com'
PASSWORD = 'xxxxxx'

try:
# Instantiating the Arlo object automatically calls Login(), which returns an oAuth token that gets cached.
# Subsequent successful calls to login will update the oAuth token.
arlo = Arlo(USERNAME, PASSWORD)
# At this point you're logged into Arlo.

# Get the list of devices and filter on device type to only get the cameras.
# This will return an array of cameras, including all of the cameras' associated metadata.

basestations = arlo.GetDevices('basestation')
#print (basestations[0])
cameras = arlo.GetDevices('camera')
#print(cameras[0])
#print(cameras[1])
#print(cameras[2])
#print(cameras[3])
#print(cameras[4])
#print(cameras[5])

# Trigger the snapshot.
url = arlo.TriggerFullFrameSnapshot(basestations[0], cameras[3]);

# Download snapshot.
arlo.DownloadSnapshot(url, 'arlosnapshot.jpg')