Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 30 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Howie411
Luminary
Luminary

my Arlo Q works great, but my my Arlo (Outside camera) stinks, I even just had it RMAed and its not any better at recording anything that happens outside my house.  The UPS man can park in front of my driveway, drop off a package, and by the time Arlo starts recording I get a nice recording of his butt and him getting into the truck.

Would love to swap it out for an Arlo Pro if its solves this.

12 REPLIES 12
gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

Boy I feel your frustration. Not long ago I invested in 3 wireless cameras & Arlo Q. I felt pretty confident after setting them up properly, I had state of the art, newest & best technology. Then along comes Arlo Pro!!!! Argh!!

rolandyung
Initiate
Initiate

Netgear really needs to do this.  I have two sets of cameras that we use and the upgrade seems like it is really what the first generation should have been.  Have had so many issues of not "seeing" what we needed the cameras for in the first place.  

NiteOwl_334
Tutor
Tutor

I'd be all over this.

I went all in and bought a 3 camera Arlo package with basestation not too long ago. Just my luck, they announce a newer Arlo Pro.

I was never a fan of buying those expensive CR123 batteries needed for the Arlo cameras and having to re-position the cameras every time you change them. So the rechargeable Arlo Pro's look interesting. They won't fix the re-positioning problem, but that's OK.

Aside from hawking these on eBay, I'd be very interested in Netgear doing a trade-in or promotional program for existing Arlo owners.

jromero1
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased the four camera package with the base station within the last couple of months and it's dissapointing to learn the Pro is now available. I would be very interested in a trade-in program of some sort.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While there isn't currently a "buyback" or "trade in" program, keep in mind that the Arlo Pro Cameras are backward compatible. Additionally, your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras can be synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station to utilize the new base station features. This allows for flexibility when adding to your existing Arlo Wire-Free system.

JamesC

Howie411
Luminary
Luminary

Its not that we are concerned about compatability.  We are concerned the Arlo doesn't always work as advertised and rather then fix the issue, Netgear came out with a new model.    Its going to be hard to get previous customers who already had a bad experience to shell out money for a new model when their previous model didn't work as advertised.

NiteOwl_334
Tutor
Tutor

I second this.

It's not about compatiblity. No Arlo users are sitting around thinking, "I just bought a $400+ Arlo system, how do I make it compatible with the new $500+ Arlo system?" For some users that'd be an $900 bill over the course of a few months - mind you. No, that is not the case. Like I said in a previous post, there are other options out there at different price points.

It's about longevitty of your products and how adopters are treated or taken care of. Now that Arlo is moving into 2nd or 3rd generation product lines, a pattern is emerging and we as consumers are taking notice. Tepid responses like, "oh the new and old systems are compatible" sort of miss the mark here.

Drakkar23
Initiate
Initiate

Very unhappy right now.  People should be furious if they aren't having a trade in program.   The original arlo was basically their version of a Beta product and now 1 year later the Arlo Pro has all the features the original Arlo should of had.  We have all spenty hundreds of dollars on the original systems.   Noone wants to shell out the high prices for these 123a batteries that they require.  This is unnaceptable.   People need to comment on these boards and tell Netgear how they feel.    

jromero1
Initiate
Initiate

JamesC, 

Why would I buy a Pro Base Station when I just bought the Arlo system with 4 cameras! Is anything being done to update the firmware on the original base station to add additional features (like those of the Pro)? I keep reading in other posts that the USB ports are for future use. Is this no longer the case now that Arlo Pro is here?

Thanks

nictrix
Tutor
Tutor

I would also like an answer on the original base station USB ports and if there is no trade in program then I'll hopefully sell my originals to get some of my money back.

At this point I'm leaning towards Ring Stick Up Cam, at least I don't have to buy a base station with them and they already had rechargable batteries and solar panel. (though more expensive)

GadgetGuy
Luminary
Luminary
This is starting to sound a lot like VueZone Dejavu.
I hope the loyal early adopters (testers), don't have to start the begging battle again.
williadw1955
Star
Star

I agree....

Rather than upgrade the firmware of the older models to help with the known issues, they come out with a newer model.

At least offer something! 

Send in your old cameras and bases and get the Pro for  a 30% discount for current owners!

Something!